Author Topic: The top 5 games that defined your childhood  (Read 14767 times)

pzeke

Re: The top 5 games that defined your childhood
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2019, 12:23:52 pm »
Wow, I never noticed this topic. There's plenty to choose from for me, but it wasn’t difficult to come up with a list of just five.

In no particular order:

Mega Man X (SNES) - Love this game; it was the first one (alongside Operation C) that I bought with my own money.
Pokémon Red Version (GB) - The main culprit of my obsession with Pokémon.
Final Fantasy VII (PS1) - The first game I owned on the PS1, as well as the first RPG I played knowing what the genre was.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time (Arcade) - I spent a good portion of my childhood playing this game.
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (GB) - I would spend countless hours playing this game, especially at school during recess. I had a friend who had already beaten it, so he would usually help me out, especially when finding heart pieces.

Obligatory honorable mentions:

StarFox (SNES)
Super Mario Land: 6 Golden Coins (GB)
X-Men vs. Street Fighter (Arcade)
The Simpsons (Arcade)
Pokémon Gold Version (GBC)

I have great memories playing these games.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2019, 03:04:59 pm »
Starting with earliest:

Melee
Ratchet Deadlocked
WoW
Rock Band 2
COD: MW

I still play Melee to  this day, I am not sure if I put more hours into Melee or Brawl as a kid I would have to check but I don't have all my memory cards I don't think. I looked forward to R&C Online every day after school but I think I played Deadlocked more than UYA. Never hit max in Vanilla but did in TBC, and is still probably my biggest game time sink all together although I don't play on live servers any more. Guitar Hero  1-3 and the first two Rock Bands I think fucked my hands up but definitely introduced me to a lot of school music and helped start to shape my taste. I think I played MW2 more than the first but the first is too good.

I would like to think more about this in case I am forgetting.

« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2019, 10:46:54 pm »
1.Super Mario 64 tied with Super Mario World.
2. Kingdom Hearts
3. Mike Tyson's Punchout
4. Marvel Vs Capcom 2
5. EarthBound

Not sure why I lied on this list.  Why did you lie me?  I don't play Earthbound much as a kid.   This doesn't fit my real childhood at all and I should feel shame.

The real list is. 

1. GTA Vice City
2. Ratchet and Clank Up Your Arsonal
3. Call of Duty World at War
4. Super Mario 64
5. Kingdom Hearts or Gran Turismo 4

I am sorry for lying.  I don't rememnber typing what I typed.  I assume it was when I was captured in my sleep.  I only remember the darkness of night and blue lights.  I was intertrapped in the earth's gravity, engines stalled and failed, crashed into a crop maze.  but then I woke.  And their were plenty of government agents working for COMM 12.  Disquised as Syrpents under the blood moon hissing in my ear.  bloody pillows.  I begged them not to. I assume they like earthbound because they made the game.  But that was of course back when I still had my apendix that they ate.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 10:48:32 pm by marvelvscapcom2 »

« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2019, 06:38:54 pm »
I’m defining childhood as anything up to around the time I started my teen years, FWIW.

King’s Quest (Apple IIe) - not my oldest gaming memory but probably the first with any lasting impact. Started a love affair with (then) PC gaming and the adventure genre.

Super Mario Bros (NES). - it only brought me back to consoles after I dismissed Ataris and Colecovisions (as a haughty 8-9 year old) as pure crap. No big deal.

Ultima VI: The False Prophet (MS-DOS) - I stupidly didn’t get into the earlier Ultimas “because graphics” (hey, I was a stupid kid), but when I finally did, my God. There are still few RPGs that understand the “R” part better than this game.

Blazing Lazers (TG-16) - Every vertically scrolling shooter has to meet the expectations firmly set in my brain by this one. I can still hear the first stage soundtrack clearly (and I haven’t owned or played a TG-16 in nearly 30 years).

Phantasy Star II (Gen). Best JRPG ever. Then, and now. It holds up. Fight me.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 06:53:35 pm by bunnybear »
—Currently Playing—
Ace Attorney 4-5-6 (NS)
Raiden IV x Mikado (NS)