Author Topic: Official PS1 Classic Game List Revealed  (Read 2755 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Official PS1 Classic Game List Revealed
« on: October 29, 2018, 04:51:04 pm »

PS1 Classic Game List:

Battle Arena Toshinden
Cool Boarders 2
Destruction Derby
Final Fantasy VII
Grand Theft Auto
Intelligent Qube
Jumping Flash
Metal Gear Solid
Mr Driller
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
Rayman
Resident Evil Director's Cut
Revelations: Persona
Ridge Racer Type 4
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Syphon Filter
Tekken 3
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six
Twisted Metal
Wild Arms

Thoughts and reactions?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 04:58:42 pm by burningdoom »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Official PS1 Classic Game List Revealed
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 04:55:03 pm »
Why Twisted Metal and not Twisted Metal 2? The improvements were so much better in the sequel.

I want to ask the same for Resident Evil: DC, but then I remembered the remake for RE2 is coming, so that's probably why.

Odd that we're not getting a single Tomb Raider or Crash Bandicoot game, since they were pretty much PlayStation's mascots with that console.

And it's cool to see Wild Arms on there, did not expect that.

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 05:01:14 pm »
The US list is garbage compared to the Japanese list. The PS1 has so many excellent games and they really went for low hanging fruit with most of the titles they picked. The only game I was genuinely surprised to see was the first Persona game. Outside of that there are a few decent standouts, but nothing that would motivate me to even spend half of the current $100 MSRP for this thing.

I've heard arguments about licensing costs with third party games being too expensive, which I honestly don't buy. They licensed them some great games in Japan, and even if it was a issue for the North American release, they easily have 30+ first party IPs they could have used for next to no additional cost to Sony, all that would have been an improvement on half the games they ended up going with in the end.

This thing mostly sucks, that's my opinion though.

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 05:24:22 pm »
Half these games don't make sense why they are on there. Like why is Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six on there.

telly

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 05:29:37 pm »
Only three RPGs is a major bummer for me. There are so many good ones that would have been amazing additions

I'm also not a fan of the non-dualshock PS1 controller
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 08:35:20 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

soera

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 05:30:41 pm »
Im a playstation guy ... and Im not interested in this now. The games on this list I would have enjoyed playing I own and thats only 3-4 titles at most. The rest I am curious as to why TF they are on there.

sworddude

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 05:32:59 pm »
It's a pretty mediocre list worse than I expected it to be but than again as far as the sports titles go they where mainstream back in the day not to mention that an old shooter such as tom clancy/ syphon filter ain't to strange to be honest.

I'm also not to shocked that symphony of the night ain't on there since i highly doubt it was a popular game back than even if it had a classics series in the US. Even if there wasn't a rerelease of symphony of the night as a stand alone game it would most likely be the same.

Still though I'm kinda suprised at the niche titles why they were included such as persona, inteligent cube puzzle fighter wild arms, mr driller and jumping flash, makes very little sense to me. Maybe the IP's where cheap to add into the console to fill it up.

I would have expected at the very least croc, crash bandicoot, medievil spyro and klonoa the sony mascots and as far as less popular rpg's go instead of wild arms chrono cross or final fantasy tactics.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 05:38:32 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 06:55:51 pm »
Some choices are good, some definitely aren't.  I'm only really into like a half dozen of the games and some decisions are confusing like Rainbow Six and Twisted Metal 1 over Twisted Metal 2, which is the only Twisted Metal really worth playing.

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2018, 06:59:04 pm »
As a novelty item, this is going to be awesome.  If anyone expected Sony to actually deliver a list of games that are actually classics and defined the console, you expected way too much.  This is Sony being Sony.  I'm stoked for some of these absolutely bonkers choices. 

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2018, 08:39:49 pm »
10 really great games
9 others that are good games I could possibly understand why they are here but Tom Clancy?

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2018, 09:43:11 pm »
The list of games comes off as kind of meh to me. This coming from someone who's console was the N64 this era. Also it just kinda feels cheap to me since outside of of a like 4-5 games none of them really sell for more than $10.

Some games I would of tried to include in a PS1 Classic
-Castlevania Chronicles (chose this one only due to the recent rerelease of symphony on the PS4 and I don't have it)
-Blood Omen: legacy of Kain
-Parasite Eve
-Klanoa
-Tomb Raider
-Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (though I realize there's probably too much Copyright tape holding this one back from being released I can see why it's not on there)
-Final Fantasy Tactics
-JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (for the reference)
-Xenogears

Nickkchilla

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2018, 12:54:10 am »
The list looks incredibly underwhelming. I'd rather the JPN version as that at least has Parasite Eve on it.

On the plus side just like the NES and SNES classic, it looks as if the system will be powered via USB-C, so hopes for a proper hack to add more games seems likely.

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2018, 01:58:15 am »
(PARTUAL QUOTES BY BOTH BURNINGDOOM AND SWORDDUDE)
Why Twisted Metal and not Twisted Metal 2? The improvements were so much better in the sequel.

Odd that we're not getting a single Tomb Raider or Crash Bandicoot game, since they were pretty much PlayStation's mascots with that console.

I would have expected at the very least croc, crash bandicoot, medievil spyro and klonoa the sony mascots and as far as less popular rpg's go instead of wild arms chrono cross or final fantasy tactics.

I agree with the both of you and others as well. Not a single mainstream SONY mascot appeared on that list. and, that can blow It  I think for SONY. I mean why not? As far as Twisted Metal 1 goes. I currently think that it's way less popular than Twisted Metal 2. But it seems that, SONY may have been trying to get more of the less common games on the New PlayStation 1 classic. even though.

As far as Rainbow Six is concerned as a pack in first person shooter I think they should have went with Medal Of Honor instead
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 08:34:26 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

kashell

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2018, 08:19:31 am »
Probably a pass.

azure

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2018, 12:16:31 pm »
Pretty disappointing all around, but with so many great games on PS1, everyone will be let down in some way no matter what with only 20 titles.

Mind boggling they added Revelations: Persona, if anything I would expect P2 over it. Possibly the boom of popularity from P5? Even so, that reveal shocked me for sure.

Seems to be a fair list of mixed genres, I still feel they could have done better at picking some of the titles. No Crash, Spyro, or even GT.