Author Topic: Super Smash Bros Ultimate final Nintendo Direct thoughts  (Read 2416 times)

Super Smash Bros Ultimate final Nintendo Direct thoughts
« on: November 01, 2018, 12:01:35 pm »
I have to say that I'm incredibly disappointed in the final direct. The thing that pissed me off the most was the removal of trophies which was a huge reason I put so much time into previous Smash games. What makes it worse was their half assed, BS explanation why and the immanent announcement of a stupid buff system called spirits. The Spirit system looks very gimmicky and while I do not claim to be some ultra competitive Smash player, I feel like this is Nintendo dumbing their games down more and more to try and appeal to a younger demographic that they seem to believe doesn't know how to play video games.

I also was no a huge fan of the new character announcements. Ken was okay, but of course he is an Echo Fighter, another thing I'm not to fond of about Ultimate. The piranha plant character was pretty cool, however we won't be playing with him at launch. Then there is Incineroar, one stupid Pokemon from many that were part of the worst generation of Pokemon ever. I face palmed when they announced him and am truly disappointed by even his inclusion in the roster. Some of the new assist trophies were cool, especially Akira from Virtua Fighter, which may have been the highlight of the entire direct for me, which is really sad.

Overall I'm still pretty hyped for Smash Ultimate, I just thought that Direct was pretty bad overall. I hope that I'm wrong about the spirit system and despite it being annoying that they'll be DLC, I really hope Nintendo steps their game up with the new characters down the road.   

kashell

Re: Super Smash Bros Ultimate final Nintendo Direct thoughts
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 12:47:50 pm »
I missed the direct but...what's the Spirit system?

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 01:00:46 pm »

In a nutshell kind of like the event matches in the other games. Only havingthe fighting characters represent others in ways. Best example is to represent Guts Man they use yellow Mega man make him big and uses primarily throws. You then collect the "spirits" which can be used to buff the characters in certain ways in certain modes

kashell

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 02:59:53 pm »

In a nutshell kind of like the event matches in the other games. Only havingthe fighting characters represent others in ways. Best example is to represent Guts Man they use yellow Mega man make him big and uses primarily throws. You then collect the "spirits" which can be used to buff the characters in certain ways in certain modes

Huh. Interesting. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

This might be one of those "just play it and see" type of things for me.

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 03:11:54 pm »
I'm glad they confirmed challenges and essentially an overhauled event mode... but I'm disappointed that there is no traditional story/adventure mode.  I enjoyed that stuff in Melee/Brawl and Smash Run in 3DS, so that not being included is disappointing.

And what I gathered from the stream was that there will be no trophies this time around, which is particularly disappointing because that was something I enjoyed doing as a little menial thing.

Also, no talks about tournament mode again and whether or not they will allow for offline tournaments.

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 04:21:18 pm »
The direct was just alright, but I'm still pretty excited for the game.  It has a crap ton of stuff and I'm still hopeful to see Banjo-Kazooie show up in the season pass.

kypherion

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 04:31:23 pm »
Idk what the dislike for the direct was. I mean no trophies sucks but at the same time it's a fighting game not Pokemon. The spirits system seems weird but the inclusion of Piranha plant was hilarious.

World of Light blew me away. Everybody but Kirby got Thanos'd. *Insert avengers theme here*

Mainly just stoked because I'm a Castlevania fanboy and love the inclusion of Simon and Richter.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

Flashback2012

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 07:30:28 pm »
I'm the last person who'd claim to be a fan of WaLuigi but I find it odd he's only a support character and not a full blown roster character where a thing like a Piranha Plant makes absolute sense to be a support character is on the main roster. I had no idea who the Pokemon was and don't really care as I think there's too many Pokemon in the game already. Ken as an echo character makes sense though I would have thought Shadow or Knuckles could have been dropped in.

No trophies is something of a buzzkill.  :-\

Idk what the dislike for the direct was. I mean no trophies sucks but at the same time it's a fighting game not Pokemon. The spirits system seems weird but the inclusion of Piranha plant was hilarious.

World of Light blew me away. Everybody but Kirby got Thanos'd. *Insert avengers theme here*

Mainly just stoked because I'm a Castlevania fanboy and love the inclusion of Simon and Richter.

I dunno how I feel about the whole World of Light thing. Of course Kirby would be the one to make it.  ;D

As for Simon/Richter, I'm happy to see them in, Richter especially. Though I have to say with Simon, Mega Man, and Kid Icarus in the game they really missed the opportunity to bring Captain N in.  :P
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 07:36:39 pm by Flashback2012 »

Limeface

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 02:25:47 am »
Very boring Direct. This is the kind of Direct I expected from Wii-U era Nintendo. Completely killed my hype for Smash Ultimate. Ken and Incineroar are fine, and Piranha Plant is so weird that I like it.
Spirits mode looks like a grindfest. The amount of content in this game is still insane, but this direct was a very poor showing of the game and I am questioning whether I'll buy it at launch. 

kashell

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 08:19:34 am »
I'm actually wondering if this will be a launch day buy, too. The h00ge roster is appealing, but at the same time, it feels overwhelming.

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 11:58:36 am »
Can someone please explain to me why the internet is obsessed with Waluigi? Does he do something awesome in some Mario game I didn't play? Has he done really anything to be iconic or cool? Something tells me this is just obnoxious people jumping on another obnoxious internet meme bandwagon, but maybe I'm wrong.

telly

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2018, 12:11:24 pm »
Yeah it's because his memes are so spicy now
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2018, 12:45:21 pm »
Has he done really anything to be iconic or cool?

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2018, 12:46:42 pm »
If this and the last Smash Direct were switched I doubt we’d be seeing too many complaints.  This was just pretty underwhelming to be the last push before launch.

indenton

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2018, 01:32:44 pm »
The whole 'Spirits' thing felt like it went on for too long, and it is a little upsetting to know that the trophies have not only been replaced with pictures, but it's all existing artwork.  I get it, that's a lot of content to produce, but it's still quite the step backwards.  Hey look! Shantae is in the game now, Sakurai Googled "Shantay", it auto-corrected, then he copy/pasted that PNG into 'Muh_game.exe'

Piranha Plant caught me by surprise but a very nice surprise, suck it Waluigi.  I'm also really digging Spring Man, Tiki and the Wily Capsule assist trophies. 

Edit: I just rewatched the Direct and I'm a bit more positive on the Spirits now. 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 03:32:26 pm by indenton »