Author Topic: I think open world games are ruined forever (or at least the foreseeable future)  (Read 1506 times)

Given that Red Dead Redemption 2 is so excellent, it's somewhat painful to experience any other open world game.

dreama1

It'll join the ruined club in 10 years or less.

Eh, I don't think that at all.  RDR2 is definitely a good game, but it's really not that amazing.  I don't think it does particularly anything new or exciting for open world games and for me the experience really started to drag after awhile, mostly for lots of little reasons related to traveling, animations, and the story.  What it does best is generally the world experience, like it feels lived in and interconnected well and looks impressive on PS4 Pro. 

Nearly done with the story myself as I basically hit a point around halfway through the game that I just got kinda tired of doing the side story stuff, it wasn't very engaging and didn't feel like I was getting much out of it, so I've mostly just been doing story missions myself.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 05:33:05 pm by kamikazekeeg »

If RDR2 can stand alongside Breath of the Wild and The Witcher 3, both amazing open world games released several years before it, RDR2 hasn't ruined anything.

aliensstudios

Are you saying something just to fish for responses again?
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

pizzasafari

kypherion

LOZ BOTW is so good though, and when skyrim came out it was pretty good too. I'm sure RDR2 is good but it's not the best open world game, right?
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

Yeah but PS4 Spider-man allows you to do this

If that didn't ruin open worlds games before nothing will

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

RDR2 is a technical masterpiece that bores me to tears.

It sure as hell hasn't ruined me on open-world games at all. I still say Skyrim and Breath of the Wild are better open worlds. They may not be quite as detailed, but at least they're fun to be in.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 02:46:23 pm by burningdoom »

argyle

RDR2 is a technical masterpiece that bores me to tears.

It sure as hell hasn't ruined me on open-world games at all. I still say Skyrim and Breath of the Wild are better open worlds. They may not be quite as detailed, but at least they're fun to be in.

So much this. I couldn't possibly agree more.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Horse Simulator 2018 is a beautiful game.  But it isn't good enough to close down a genre.  But I do admit its been a lot of fun so far. 
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 10:43:18 pm by marvelvscapcom2 »

Early on in the game, I would have actually been tempted to agree with this sentiment.  However, the further you get into the game, the more the immersive world actually seems to get in the way.  It's great if you want to just hop into the game and ride around for a while, play mini-games or hunt.  However, if you want to actually play the game you get shoehorned into different sections of the map, which makes it difficult to appreciate the world.