Author Topic: Where do you get your games?  (Read 4797 times)

kashell

Re: Where do you get your games?
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2018, 11:47:13 am »
Unfortunately, one used media store that I used to love in the Cleveland, OH area has really gone down hill. Not only have their staff members gotten more surly over the years, but now you are subject to a "restocking fee" when you try to return something that you don't want. You only get a refund if it's defective.

While I certainly can't advocate for the surly, I'm gonna go the unpopular route and support the 'restocking fee'.

People can be phenomenally flaky when it comes to their purchases- and terribly dishonest.  I have people change their minds and do returns without ever leaving the counter. I have people try to return a pile of empty bottles & used paints becuase their DIY didn't turn out like they expected. I have people return multiple pillows, quilts, and appliances becuase they bought multiples of each, used them for a month, decide they 'don't like them' & come to return hundreds of dollars of stained, pet hair riddled, smoky smelling unsellable trash. I've seen my stores go from completely open return policies to severely restricted ones with short time limits due to the above. And this isn't even getting into the out & out abuse- when the policy was still open, we had people bring back items 5 and 10 years old becuase they had worn them out with use. We still have people take items back to the wrong department on purpose, becuase they aren't in a returnable condition & they're hoping to find someone unfamiliar with the return policy for the area.

I can only imagine the kind of crap that gets pulled on a game store- saying it's 'broken' becuase you beat the game within the return window, or realized you only needed a few minutes of play before your nostalgia wore off, trying to swap out your broken copies for their working ones, etc. And that's ignoring the people who buy a game impulsively, decide they don't like it, and expect a full refund. It sucks that it has to be that way- I imagine most people here are perfectly pleasant customers- but sadly there's enough bad apples that they have to ruin it for everyone.

I think I have an idea where you work. Or, at least the type of store. It doesn't sound pleasant. For something that got used heavily, I'm surprised they even take the time to charge the fee and give them some of their money back. Wouldn't it be better for the store to just say they can't accept the returns? Is is in the fine print of the receipt?

For used video games, I think it's silly. People are allowed to change their minds and decide that they don't want something for whatever reason (already owns it, don't want it, got the wrong game, etc). These stores I'm talking about aren't hurting for inventory or business; they can afford to give a refund.

Of course, there will always be the exception - the game is returned with something missing, the case is cracked, the game is scratched, etc. But in that case, the return shouldn't even be considered by the employees.

I throw shade at Game Stop often, but they've never had an issue taking a return. I actually returned something the same day when I realized that one of the games didn't have an instruction manual (this was years ago, note) and the employee understood completely.

PaleManInBlack

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2018, 03:12:27 pm »
Ebay, Amazon UK, GAME, CEX and G-Force (a small independent shop in my city)

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2020, 09:38:40 pm »
Mostly from a local Disc Replay as lately, I bought a Refurbished PlayStation 3 slim from GameStop in late 2019 it was cheap about $125 USD or less and I got a 320 gigabyte hardrive in it. their was only one employee and it was an old family friend working the register, she was vary nice and helpfull. nobody else was there when I came and went, no customers

A giant bulk of my collection came from JJgames online store (said earlier) when they had better condition stock for less in 2015-2018

Few of my games came from various sellers in a year around indoor flea market I can count 1 beat up game in my collection I got in 2019 from a Salvation Army location for ,50 cents.

I seem to be lucky to live in an area where physical media is not dying, they even sell DVD's and Vinyl records at my local Kroger

vary few games were purchased off amazon, one was Halo 2 for xbox. but it was beat up.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 09:44:01 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Warmsignal

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2020, 01:43:28 pm »
In terms of modern games, I have a strict policy where I only buy brand new (sealed that is, but not full price), or near mint used if I have no other option.

For me, the number one place for modern lately would be Walmart. Discounted and clearance priced copies are often found at their stores. Second to that GameStop, when they have an un-gutted copy available.  If the above two fail, I turn to eBay to see if anyone is selling a new copy of a game there for a better price. Fourth option would be Best Buy, as they do on occasion actually have the "best buy" on select titles now and again. After that, I will resort to Amazon. Not fond of their service, but their prices are always competitive and stock is most reliable of any. Lastly Target, as they will occasionally have a random sale, or a better price, but I usually can't count on it.

For retro, it's about 50-50 eBay, and the one and only local retro-game shop in my town which has a massive selection.

That's pretty much where everything I get comes from.

doafan

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2020, 02:39:59 pm »
I started with Amazon, then migrated to Mercado Libre and then at eBay, am still using these last two, gonna start to give a try to First cash, have heard from a lot a friends that they got some good prices.

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2020, 05:36:08 pm »
I originally had Best Buy, but now that my Gamers Club is gone, I might be going to Walmart.  They seem to be doing 10 dollars less on new games (Maybe not all, but DBZ: Kakarot was only 50 bucks), so I'll probably go there most of the time.  Otherwise it might just depend on pre-order bonuses for Gamestop or Best Buy on other games.

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2020, 05:48:57 pm »
Up until the end of Best Buy's GCU, this was my go to place for new games. Nowadays, its a combination of Amazon, Ebay, Gamestop, this one pawn shop I've going to for years and local game stores in my area. Keep in mind though that my buying habits have subsided so right now, the only thing I have on top is pre-orders I have done from Amazon. Other than maybe a random game or so that I find, I am not buying a bunch of games on a whim like I used to. 

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2020, 11:23:04 pm »
These last 2 post make me sad. I have 9 weeks left on my GCU sub. After that, I doubt I'll buy much outside of the occasional clearance game. I may actually do some preorders at the very end, since as long as I order while a member of GCU I'll still get the price...depends on if I think the "extras" are worth it.

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2020, 12:46:11 am »
These last 2 post make me sad. I have 9 weeks left on my GCU sub. After that, I doubt I'll buy much outside of the occasional clearance game. I may actually do some preorders at the very end, since as long as I order while a member of GCU I'll still get the price...depends on if I think the "extras" are worth it.

The last game I bought using GCU was Resident Evil 2 Deluxe Edition on PS4. I went for it mainly because after GCU, it was the price of the standard edition without it so go for it.

pzeke

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2020, 09:37:15 am »
Just eBay and Walmart. Before that it used to be Amazon and Game Quest Direct, and GameStop on rare ocassions. I've yet to try Best Buy or Target, but they're relatively far from where I live, so I don't bother.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!