Author Topic: Where do you get your games?  (Read 4815 times)

Re: Where do you get your games?
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2018, 04:36:28 am »
Mostly amazon, ebay too but only for retro stuff.

armani

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2018, 01:29:13 pm »
eBay, but I snag if it's real cheap. Also Amazon, because there's booksellers that sell big box PC games real cheap (hell, I got a boxed original System Shock for $29 on Amazon from a book seller). I don't know how anyone can find good finds in thrift stores and stuff irl, I've never been able to.

armani

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2018, 01:36:19 pm »
Primarily thrift for me. Really it is the only good way to get PC games. I was very sad the day Gamestop (or was it EB back then?) announced they would stop selling used PC games.
You find PC games in thrift stores? Only cool thing I've seen was an old Photoshop Elements copy in a big box. I don't even see just the CDs. :(

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2018, 02:44:12 pm »
Primarily thrift for me. Really it is the only good way to get PC games. I was very sad the day Gamestop (or was it EB back then?) announced they would stop selling used PC games.
You find PC games in thrift stores? Only cool thing I've seen was an old Photoshop Elements copy in a big box. I don't even see just the CDs. :(

I'm always wary of getting PC games second hand. Never know if there is PC breaking copy protection or if the max number of activations has been met.

telly

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2018, 07:55:27 am »
Mine is probably
30% Local game stores
20% Gamestop
20% Thrift stores
10% Limited Run Games
10% Ebay
10% Other VGC users
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2018, 08:04:10 am »
I've actually found more than a few boxed PC games at the thrift store.  I found a big box Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun and Battlefield Vietnam before.  Thrift shops are also where I picked up boxed versions of most of the older Battlefield games and World of Warcraft games.  Found other stuff here and there also like older Call of Duty and such.  I haven't gone hunting in awhile, but I really should just for that.  I love PC game hunting, because most of the time it's real cheap and as long as the stuff isn't trash.  Less competitive than console gaming stuff too since most of the stuff is unusable or unplayable.  Most of the time it's purely for the box art.

tripredacus

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2018, 10:49:45 am »

Games in box is fairly uncommon to find, often will find software. No big deal for me, I'll buy old software too! Nothing too crazy, I'd like to try to not get mixed up with Corel Workperfect box variants if I can help it.

armani

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2018, 04:36:09 pm »
I've actually found more than a few boxed PC games at the thrift store.  I found a big box Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun and Battlefield Vietnam before.  Thrift shops are also where I picked up boxed versions of most of the older Battlefield games and World of Warcraft games.  Found other stuff here and there also like older Call of Duty and such.  I haven't gone hunting in awhile, but I really should just for that.  I love PC game hunting, because most of the time it's real cheap and as long as the stuff isn't trash.  Less competitive than console gaming stuff too since most of the stuff is unusable or unplayable.  Most of the time it's purely for the box art.
HOLD UP

A BIG BOX Battlefield Vietnam? I want to see this, I love later big box releases.

kashell

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2018, 10:24:39 am »
For new releases, it's either Amazon or Game Stop. For everything else, it's used media stores with a touch of eBay. Throw in the yearly convention and that's about it.

Unfortunately, one used media store that I used to love in the Cleveland, OH area has really gone down hill. Not only have their staff members gotten more surly over the years, but now you are subject to a "restocking fee" when you try to return something that you don't want. You only get a refund if it's defective.

telly

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2018, 10:47:33 am »
Yeah my used game store won't let me do any refunds, even if  it was for store credit. Found that out recently when I tried to return an item I purchased for this years SS. I could only exchange it for a different item, which is why you see Wild Arms 3 in my collection :P
Currently Playing:

kashell

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2018, 02:21:35 pm »
All's well that ends well. Wild Arms 3 is fabulous!

telly

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2018, 03:09:13 pm »
True :)

I just have so many games to play x(
Currently Playing:

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2018, 05:56:02 pm »
Local retro game stores.

mike24rules

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2018, 06:16:18 am »
living in such a small town and its considered a retirement community. So the options here are non existant all i have is a gamestop and a local store called video game exchange but that is a pain and a half to get to

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2018, 11:25:16 am »
Unfortunately, one used media store that I used to love in the Cleveland, OH area has really gone down hill. Not only have their staff members gotten more surly over the years, but now you are subject to a "restocking fee" when you try to return something that you don't want. You only get a refund if it's defective.

While I certainly can't advocate for the surly, I'm gonna go the unpopular route and support the 'restocking fee'.

People can be phenomenally flaky when it comes to their purchases- and terribly dishonest.  I have people change their minds and do returns without ever leaving the counter. I have people try to return a pile of empty bottles & used paints becuase their DIY didn't turn out like they expected. I have people return multiple pillows, quilts, and appliances becuase they bought multiples of each, used them for a month, decide they 'don't like them' & come to return hundreds of dollars of stained, pet hair riddled, smoky smelling unsellable trash. I've seen my stores go from completely open return policies to severely restricted ones with short time limits due to the above. And this isn't even getting into the out & out abuse- when the policy was still open, we had people bring back items 5 and 10 years old becuase they had worn them out with use. We still have people take items back to the wrong department on purpose, becuase they aren't in a returnable condition & they're hoping to find someone unfamiliar with the return policy for the area.

I can only imagine the kind of crap that gets pulled on a game store- saying it's 'broken' becuase you beat the game within the return window, or realized you only needed a few minutes of play before your nostalgia wore off, trying to swap out your broken copies for their working ones, etc. And that's ignoring the people who buy a game impulsively, decide they don't like it, and expect a full refund. It sucks that it has to be that way- I imagine most people here are perfectly pleasant customers- but sadly there's enough bad apples that they have to ruin it for everyone.