Author Topic: The PS1 Classic, and why I am kinda unhappy about it.  (Read 2045 times)

jeffmandm

The PS1 Classic, and why I am kinda unhappy about it.
« on: November 09, 2018, 09:10:26 am »
I know that this is subjective, and that some people are looking forward to the PS1 classic, but yesterday I read about the things that people have reported about the console already, at least stuff that seems to be true.

For those that didn't hear, these are the points in question.

• Apparently the PS1 Classic is a generic Raspberry Pi running a custom frontend, built on the source code of the Pi version of the emulator PCSX-ReArmed.
  • Each game only allows you to have one save slot, meaning that you are limited to one save game per title.
  • Some games seem to be using incorrect versions, as some bring up SCEA and some bring up SCEE. Because of this, some people theorize that they took random ISOs without checking what region or version they were.
  • The main menu is uninspired, at least compared to the NES and SNES Mini. It doesn't even have music on the menu.

To me, this seems like they're making the PS1 classic just a cash grab on the heels of the NES and SNES mini. I don't know if I'm more perturbed that they're being a bit lazy with the thing or if I find it funny that even Mario All-Stars for the Wii, which was literally just the SNES version slapped onto a Wii disc, at least had the decency to use the Virtual Console emulator.

sworddude

Re: The PS1 Classic, and why I am kinda unhappy about it.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 01:00:27 pm »
It's pretty ironic actually in pretty much all cases doing emulation yourselves illegally for free will get you a near to perfect experience as the original while if you let a company do it in almost all cases it isn't as good as the original with flaws and in allot of times the emulation is pretty terrible.

If your lucky it comes close to the original, I mean how hard is it for a company to get a decent rom on there considering that people who emulate can get a perfect experience already  ::)

Even good examples such as the snes or nes mini had some minor differences with their roms compared to the original. I mean it even had some colour differences compared to the original in some cases. It's pretty sad that people are happy when an emulator by a company in wich case you pay a nice amount of cash for is considered good when the emulation is decent enough not even perfect wich can be done withouth spending a single dime ::)

Going the legit to pay way is kinda a lose lose situation in my opinion with these old games, I mean if companies can't give a perfect experience I'would rather stick with an everdrive or emulate for free manually for the perfect experience not to mention tons more games since apparently if one should pay for emulation legitamately you will only get a select few games with servicable emulation at best :P

IMO if you have to pay for emulation the legit way it sure as hell has to be perfect emulation, it has to be equal or better than what one can do for free with the correct roms not just close good enough as your best case scenario.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 02:43:34 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 04:19:59 pm »
If for no other reason, the selection of games on the US model is horrendous. The fact that Japan's PS1 classic is way more interesting than the US tells me that it wasn't a licensing issue, but rather Playstation of North America shitting the bed with a lot of mediocre titles rather than stuff that would actually get people excited to purchase the Classic. The PS1 has so many great games and the fact they chose what they did tells me that they really didn't give a shit or had no idea what they were doing.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 12:19:30 am »
Your disappointment is justified.

SONY is phoning in a cash grab on your sense of nostalgia.

Veilor

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 09:40:17 am »
Thanks for the reminder to cancel my pre-order. meant to do it when all the titles were shown but did it now. It's really a cash grab not worth getting.

aliensstudios

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 12:14:56 pm »
Does anyone know yet if the USB PS1 controllers will be compatible with PS3/PS4? If they are, that might be the most compelling reason to get it honestly.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 12:19:54 pm »
While I wasn't going to get one anyway- my attitude for all of these machines is "I already have the original, I'll just buy the games I don't own"- but seriously, ONE save slot?! I mean, the PSone was the first system to really solidify the idea of a memory card to have multiple saves- bypassing that entirely is ignoring a key component of the system's nostalgia. Game choice is subjective, I imagine one can make arguments for how using mixed region roms & an existing hardware/emulator makes sense, somehow- but one save? That's undeniably lazy & a sure sign that Sony is botching this.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2018, 02:00:32 pm »
The mixed region roms are most likely due to some regions having bug fixes the others never got. In effect your ideally getting the most stable version of the game. In other cases it may have to do with censorship or music licensing issues with certain regions. I highly doubt it’s random.

The single save slots is a serious wtf.

I agree the game selection is subjective.

The decision to go with an open source emu vs a PS1 soc is unfortunate given the fact that SONY has spent 30 years reducing the PSX to practically a single chip which is highly compatible and cheap to make.

The emu they are using is the best no doubt. But it’s clear they spent as little effort as possible to consolify it.

Might as well use an Original Xbox. At least then you can also use disc images from your original discs.

The worst part is, they corner cut the hell out of stuff like this then turn around and justify ignoring things like backward compatibility due to low sales volume.

The only market they are hitting is either:

1. folks that don’t know any better and are fine finding out later they kinda wasted their money
2. folks that hope to hack it to play their pirated iso collection
3. folks that just want to fill a vacant spot in their collection shelf and never open the thing
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 02:11:43 pm by dashv »

soera

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2018, 10:33:10 pm »
As many know, Im ****slightly**** particular to Playstation. :) But this thing is definitely not on my list of things to pick up any time soon. Its selection of games is mediocre at best. Sure it has arguably the best PS1 game ever in FFVII. But that alone cant carry the rest of bland titles that are on this thing. There are over 2000 titles on the PS1 to choose from ... how the !@#$!@$# does something like Mr Driller end up on this?

Agozer

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2018, 07:08:46 am »
The game selection itself is also woeful. You'd think Europeans would finally get some love from Sony in the form of all the PlayStation games never released in Europe (I'm looking at Chrono Cross, Einhänder, Tales games, etc.) but fat chance of that happening.

dreama1

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 12:25:42 am »
The game selection itself is also woeful. You'd think Europeans would finally get some love from Sony in the form of all the PlayStation games never released in Europe (I'm looking at Chrono Cross, Einhänder, Tales games, etc.) but fat chance of that happening.
There is persona 1 at least.

GrooDWanderer

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2018, 11:35:55 am »
Yeah, I preordered when they announced it, and I cancelled my preorder when they revealed the complete line up.
As dangerous as a stampede of cattle...and almost as smart.

PaleManInBlack

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2018, 03:16:50 pm »
Europe is always shafted when it comes to Japanese games and consoles.