Author Topic: What Is The Purpose Of 1 kilobyte Size ISO's I Used To Download Games  (Read 1470 times)

I used to emulate video games. But I stopped this a while back. I never understood games that you can download a 1 kilobyte ISO that seems completely worthless. Of course I stopped downloading games a long time ago before I started collecting.

Some people may say laugh out loud but I don't find this funny and It always puzzled me. My guess is that is was a virus. But what I never could figure out is why I mean what is the point? of these unmarked files all over the internet

It cost money to run a website so whats with the possible malware up for tricking people
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 06:49:30 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Agozer

Re: What Is The Purpose Of 1 kilobyte Size ISO's I Used To Download Games
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 07:03:42 am »
1 kilobyte ISO? I've never come across these. Care  to elaborate?

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 10:07:58 am »
1 kilobyte ISO? I've never come across these. Care  to elaborate?

sometimes when I downloaded something back in 2013, The ISO file size was 1kb or was a file that was completely unmarked and needed to be pried off my hard drive because it just would not delete. And sometimes I would literally have to force it off my hard drive like change the coding or name and or extension. A lot of these files appear worthless and also undetected under most virus software. All I can say is that there is a such thing on somewhere on the internet.

But I don't even know how to open ISO files, and don't really care to use abandonware games any more or any kind of pirated video game
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 10:12:05 am by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Agozer

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 02:06:09 pm »
If it's a standard file with the .iso file extension, it functions like a compresed archive. You can check its contents with the likes of WinRAR and 7-Zip.

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 03:01:57 pm »
If it's a standard file with the .iso file extension, it functions like a compresed archive. You can check its contents with the likes of WinRAR and 7-Zip.

Thanks for the information @Agozer :)

NO APPS NEEDED

ffxik

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 10:23:18 pm »
Were you using Internet Explorer to download these?  If so IE had trouble handling large file sizes.  Generally when downloading a file it will create a placeholder in your downloads folder.  After completion of the download this is usually deleted.  IE had a bad habit of "completing" large downloads but only leaving you with the placeholder instead.

I had this problem a lot when I was using it.  Switching to either Firefox, or Chrome was the fix for that issue back then.

tripredacus

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 10:53:58 am »
It is impossible to say without a sample for inspection.

My first guess is that it was a file fragment.

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 02:55:55 pm »
Were you using Internet Explorer to download these?  If so IE had trouble handling large file sizes.  Generally when downloading a file it will create a placeholder in your downloads folder.  After completion of the download this is usually deleted.  IE had a bad habit of "completing" large downloads but only leaving you with the placeholder instead.

I had this problem a lot when I was using it.  Switching to either Firefox, or Chrome was the fix for that issue back then.

Yes exactly, I was only using Internet Explorer back then in 2013

It is impossible to say without a sample for inspection.

My first guess is that it was a file fragment.

probally some kind of fragment I guess :-\ probably also an issue with Internet Explorer because that is what I used to use for everything.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 03:01:53 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED