Author Topic: I am finally a proud PS4 owner :). Game suggestions? (Soera)  (Read 2547 times)

I am finally a proud PS4 owner :). Game suggestions? (Soera)
« on: November 18, 2018, 05:22:01 pm »
Hello everyone :)

I finally broke the seal today.  I am so excited. After years of putting it off because I already had Xbox One and Switch and couldn't warrant having 3 next gen consoles.  I finally found the moment in time where I had the chance to get it for the sale (199.99 for 1TB with Spiderman) and get an awesome game with it :)      It's the first time 3 different consoles convinced me to buy their flagship all in the same Generation which says something about the state of games.  I think all 3 are very incredible.  What a time to be alive.

The reason I put Soera in the title is because I wish I could tag Soera because I know he loves PS4 and I really admire his collection.  So impressive and awe inspiring how much epic blue gold he has lol :).   I know he knows the console front and back and along with many others has convinced me to buy it.

Early Impressions

My earliest impression of the console is I love the design and how it looks on my desk near my One X.  It has a larger foot print than I thought it would width wise.  It's the slim model but it's pretty long and heavy. It's actually quite a bit bigger than my One X surprisingly.   I find the controller to be much better than I imagined and I love the light and the feel of it.  I enjoy the UI and what i've seen of the interface as well :).   But of course i'm very new. 

My main intent is to share a proud moment of my gaming journey.  But I also wanted to ask for game reccomendations from the proud PS4 folk on here :)   For games that are hidden that should be tried.

My favorite type of game for PS consoles is action adventure like Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter type games.  Specifically Ratchet and Clank being the main reason I wanted it so bad because I love those.  Sadly only 1 Ratchet game has been made but I wanted to know if any other PS exclusive games fit that cloth.   Jak and Daxter style games :)  I also like open world stuff, and kingdom hearts style games (Adventure RPG)

My current must have list is

The Last Of Us Remaster
GOW
Ratchet and Clank
MLB The Show 18
The last of Us 2 (when it's announced)
Horizon Zero Dawn

Those are the main reason I bought the console, along with spiderman of course but it came with that one :)

What are your thoughts on the awesome 199.99 PS4 sale?  What games would you reccomend?   Thanks for sharing :)

Re: I am finally a proud PS4 owner :). Game suggestions? (Soera)
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 05:32:27 pm »
Bloodborne - This is what initially drew me to the console.
Nioh - Only after Bloodborne, if you want another action game, this is good.
Infamous: Second Son - It's not nearly as good as Spider-Man, but if wanting another open world game with powers
Uncharted 4 - If you played the previous ones, it's worth checking this one out.  If you haven't, they remastered the first three on PS4 too.
The Last Guardian - It's not the best game and has performance issues at times, but it can be a rather nice game.
Shadow of the Colossus Remake - Not the remaster, the remake, but if you haven't played this before, it's a good game.

Probably about all I can think of for other things to check out that you don't have already listed.

*EDIT* The Complete Edition of Horizon Zero Dawn is 10 bucks right now for Black Friday. https://www.gamestop.com/ps4/games/horizon-zero-dawn-complete-edition/156207?utm_source=linkshare&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_content=Twitter&utm_campaign=deeplink&utm_kxconfid=tebx5rmj3&cid=afl_10000087&affID=77777&sourceID=0wLgH49VWzI-M5A0n7bSREvGEeBA32rh.A
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 05:50:51 pm by kamikazekeeg »

Agozer

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 06:38:23 pm »
What kamikaze posted, plus:

The Yakuza games

If you like JRPGs, there are too many great exclusives.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 08:02:43 pm »
Detroit Become Human

It’s honestly the only reason I’ve turned on my PS4 Pro all year.

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 09:24:26 pm »
While not a game per-say, I highly recommend getting Playstation Plus. Amazon has the one year subscriptions on sale for $40 as part of their early Black Friday specials. At that price, it's worth getting it for the games alone.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 09:29:19 pm »
While not a game per-say, I highly recommend getting Playstation Plus. Amazon has the one year subscriptions on sale for $40 as part of their early Black Friday specials. At that price, it's worth getting it for the games alone.

Just remember that once your plus subscription ends so does your license to those games.

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 10:16:25 pm »
Bloodborne - This is what initially drew me to the console.
Best game of this generation, IMO.  I love it so much.

The Complete Edition of Horizon Zero Dawn is 10 bucks right now for Black Friday.
At $10 this is more game per dollar than almost anything else you can buy.  And it’s a great game to boot.

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2018, 11:13:53 pm »
Just remember that once your plus subscription ends so does your license to those games.

True, but they come back once you resubscribe, and you also get an extra discount on their digital sales. So, I'd still say you'll get your money's worth out of it.

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2018, 11:56:54 pm »
Another voice for 'go buy $10 Horizon Zero Dawn'- such a good game, very worth your time.

Otherwise- do you like niche crap? Go follow some boutique publishers. PS4 has a ton of them- Limited Run Games, Special Reserve Games, Simply Limited Games, Play Asia, Super Rare games... low print runs of indie darlings and back-corner weirdness. Get them on your radar now becuase some stuff sells out very quickly (especially Limited Run) & you'll want to know if something you'd like is coming out.

The Last Guardian and Tearaway Unfolded are unique games with a strong theme of comradrie that I very much recommend (although if you have a Vita, get Tearaway on the Vita- I feel it's a better experience there.)

soera

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 05:25:03 am »
Well, I will recommend what I have enjoyed (mostly RPGs). I will try not to mention a lot of games that have already been said

Ys VIII Lacrimosa of Dana is absolutely the most amazing game Ive ever experienced. From start to finish, the game was just engulfing to the point I never wanted it to end.
Dragon Quest XI would be #1 if not for Ys VIII. Quite possibly the best turn based RPG ever created. Also Heroes 1&2 and Builders = yes
Ni no Kuni II is also phenomenal. I was skeptical at first with the change of battle options and the removal of familiars vs adding the higgledies but it worked really really well.
4 Goddesses online. OMG. I *Loved* this game. It is one of the only plat trophies I have and if it didnt end, I would still be playing it today.
World of Final fantasy is what all the current FF games should have been like. Even if you dont like chibi characters, give this a go. You will not regret it.
Darksiders 1 & 2. Please play these games. They are fantastic. With 3 coming out in less than 2 weeks, its a perfect time to get the whole set!
Diablo III. This game hold the lion's share of hours played on my PS4 and will probably get more in the future. The best co-op game out there bar none.
Victor Vran. Diablo meets Van Helsing? Yes please.
Jotun. This game isnt even describable. Just ... play ... it. Going to use the same thing to mention Little nightmares. Both must be seen.
Gal*gun 1&2. Railgun shooters with cute anime chicks are definitely right up my alley. And neither of these disappointed. Addicting for sure.
Detroit become human. Such a cool story based game. Wasnt sure I would enjoy it but within a few hours, I couldnt stop.
God of War. Nothing else to say. Kratos is life and his latest game is probably the best in the series.
Typoman. Totally unique game based on word creation. Super fun and addictive.
Lara Croft and the temple of Osiris. Another co-op game like Diablo. Super fun. Played with my son and we made a weekend out of it and it was fantastic.
Rainbow moon/skies. Im not a tactical RPG guy but the way this game was layed out, it made battles doable.
Axiom Verge. The single greatest Metroidvania ever (probably better than most of the Metroid or Castlevania games themselves). Guacamelee ranks way up there too!
Brothers. Give this game a run. Controls are weird at first but once you get used to it, the game is amazing.
Dragon Age inquisition. What a world. This is one of those games that you need to set many hours available cause there is so much to do, you could lose 6 months of your life into it. But its so worth it.

Also consider the VR. Its so enjoyable and immersive AF!

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 05:39:00 am »
Well, I will recommend what I have enjoyed (mostly RPGs). I will try not to mention a lot of games that have already been said

Ys VIII Lacrimosa of Dana is absolutely the most amazing game Ive ever experienced. From start to finish, the game was just engulfing to the point I never wanted it to end.
Dragon Quest XI would be #1 if not for Ys VIII. Quite possibly the best turn based RPG ever created. Also Heroes 1&2 and Builders = yes
Ni no Kuni II is also phenomenal. I was skeptical at first with the change of battle options and the removal of familiars vs adding the higgledies but it worked really really well.
4 Goddesses online. OMG. I *Loved* this game. It is one of the only plat trophies I have and if it didnt end, I would still be playing it today.
World of Final fantasy is what all the current FF games should have been like. Even if you dont like chibi characters, give this a go. You will not regret it.
Darksiders 1 & 2. Please play these games. They are fantastic. With 3 coming out in less than 2 weeks, its a perfect time to get the whole set!
Diablo III. This game hold the lion's share of hours played on my PS4 and will probably get more in the future. The best co-op game out there bar none.
Victor Vran. Diablo meets Van Helsing? Yes please.
Jotun. This game isnt even describable. Just ... play ... it. Going to use the same thing to mention Little nightmares. Both must be seen.
Gal*gun 1&2. Railgun shooters with cute anime chicks are definitely right up my alley. And neither of these disappointed. Addicting for sure.
Detroit become human. Such a cool story based game. Wasnt sure I would enjoy it but within a few hours, I couldnt stop.
God of War. Nothing else to say. Kratos is life and his latest game is probably the best in the series.
Typoman. Totally unique game based on word creation. Super fun and addictive.
Lara Croft and the temple of Osiris. Another co-op game like Diablo. Super fun. Played with my son and we made a weekend out of it and it was fantastic.
Rainbow moon/skies. Im not a tactical RPG guy but the way this game was layed out, it made battles doable.
Axiom Verge. The single greatest Metroidvania ever (probably better than most of the Metroid or Castlevania games themselves). Guacamelee ranks way up there too!
Brothers. Give this game a run. Controls are weird at first but once you get used to it, the game is amazing.
Dragon Age inquisition. What a world. This is one of those games that you need to set many hours available cause there is so much to do, you could lose 6 months of your life into it. But its so worth it.

Also consider the VR. Its so enjoyable and immersive AF!

Thanks everyone for all the awesome replies :).   I appreciate all the advice.  I know I will be getting Horizon Zero Dawn on friday for sure.  It looks amazing.    World of final fantasy sounds awesome too.  I'm pretty casual with JRPGs so I need very entry level and text light games to have fun.  Out of those listed which is the most entry level?   I know world of final fantasy looks inviting :D

One game I wanted to ask if anyone liked that I didn't see get mentioned that I believe is also an exclusive is Gravity Rush 2.   Is that game awesome?  It seems to have rave reviews.    And of course LRG makes a lot of stuff but I don't happen to be a gold miner, theif that just stole from the union supository or a fortune 500 business executive.   So I will not be able to obtain any lol.

I will be entertaining a VR soon as well. Especially since other hardcore gamers are reccomending it so I know it's not just a fad.  It looks fun.  It's awesome the PS4 gives a affordable entry into the world of VR.  Sadly Nintendo and Xbox are sitting on their thumbs with that one.

Hope everyone has a blessed holiday.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 05:42:50 am by marvelvscapcom2 »

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2018, 09:04:40 am »
One game I wanted to ask if anyone liked that I didn't see get mentioned that I believe is also an exclusive is Gravity Rush 2.   Is that game awesome?  It seems to have rave reviews.    And of course LRG makes a lot of stuff but I don't happen to be a gold miner, theif that just stole from the union supository or a fortune 500 business executive.   So I will not be able to obtain any lol.

I will be entertaining a VR soon as well. Especially since other hardcore gamers are reccomending it so I know it's not just a fad.  It looks fun.  It's awesome the PS4 gives a affordable entry into the world of VR.  Sadly Nintendo and Xbox are sitting on their thumbs with that one.

There's some nice $200 VR bundles going out for the Holidays right now, maybe look those up. I find the Astro Bot/Moss bundle mighty tempting, but my current setup is not well suited for VR.

Never got to play the sequel, but the original Gravity Rush is a trippy thing with Spacecats & MC esher-esque geometry due to the gravity-shifting mechanic... I imagine if they cleaned up the gameplay, it'd be a fantastic game.

While picking up previous Limited Run titles can be overly pricey, catching stuff at release is fine- most games come in at the $30 mark, so if you can buy them new they aren't too hard on the wallet. As for older stuff- give PlayAsia a look over for the Asian releases. Due to some interesting quirks of the market, you can often get physical disc releases with English translations by buying the Asia release. I know there's more than one LRG release that can be had cheaper than the Ebay markup this way.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 09:35:28 am by hoshichiri »

wolfen

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2018, 09:20:02 am »
I'll jump on the hype train for Horizon Zero Dawn as well. It was the first game I bought with my PS4 at the beginning of this year. The story is one of the best I've seen in a videogame, the music is great, and the gameplay can go pretty deep if you want it to.

God of War 2018 is another must buy, I personally liked it better than Horizon and that is really saying something. I think it just does everything just slightly better than Horizon, but is still very different in style and gameplay. I also went into this one blind by not playing the previous installments.

Unravel is an adorable and at times heart wrenching platforming game with a boatload of charm. I would highly recommend this if you like beautiful and fun platformers. There was also a sequel released just this year that I haven't gotten around to, that adds multiplayer to the mix. There is a bundle for both on the PlayStation Store.

Dragon Quest XI is another game I picked up on a whim with no previous experience with the series and I've been having a blast. I don't play a lot of JRPGs and this was really easy for me to get into.

Always keep an eye out for sales on the PlayStation Store because they have 'em very frequently and they actually have a black friday sale going on with lots of fantastic games.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 10:23:30 am by wolfen »

Agozer

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2018, 03:59:30 pm »
One game I wanted to ask if anyone liked that I didn't see get mentioned that I believe is also an exclusive is Gravity Rush 2.   Is that game awesome?  It seems to have rave reviews.
Both Gravity Rush Remastered and Gravity Rush 2 are phenomenal in my book. The real shame is that GR2's servers have been taken offline, so you'll miss out on some of content and rewards. While you still can get the tokens needed offline, reportedly it is very time-consuming.

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2018, 09:11:25 pm »
God of War 2018 is another must buy, I personally liked it better than Horizon and that is really saying something. I think it just does everything just slightly better than Horizon, but is still very different in style and gameplay. I also went into this one blind by not playing the previous installments.
I can't believe this was the first time anyone mentioned this.  GoW 2018 is insanely good.  A must play, even if you don't like the older games.