Author Topic: Updates Validation  (Read 2578 times)

Updates Validation
« on: November 26, 2018, 06:38:04 pm »
What's going on with the updates validation?

First, it happened with Wolf Among Us, The [PS4 EU] that suddenly, someone changed the title for [FR] and someone "accepted" their change., when there was a lot of people with the previous version in their collection.

Another one I noticed now was this: https://vgcollect.com/item/15612
332 people (atm) have their GOD OF WAR III [EU], but someone changed it to [DE]. Why was it accepted? Why didn't they create a new item for the German version of the game? Now most (if not all) 332 are forced to either create another item (PEGI) for this or join the UK version.

Agozer

Re: Updates Validation
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 08:38:38 pm »
I can't say for sure, but in God of War 3's case, the original barcode points to the german version; said barcode field hasn't been edited after the entry was created.

In general, barcode information can often be very telling of what the entry should actually be called.

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 08:41:12 am »
I'm not gonna take a side, but from what I can tell...

This listing appears to have been originally created to be this item
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GOD-OF-WAR-III-3-Ps3-Versione-Italiana-Platinum-COMPLETO/191515221421?hash=item2c97325dad:g:Ej4AAOSwZjJU5NYg:rk:5:pf:1&frcectupt=true

Which would be the platinum hits PEGI EU version, but tripredacus went ahead and converted it to a German USK standard release instead of creating a new listing.

A PEGI EU Platinum hits version does exist on the site, but it was created WAAAAAAAAAAY after the original (15612 vs 152643).  It was even created AFTER tripredacus converted the existing listing to this new listing.

I can't speak to what the listing looked like before and how wrong it was before tripredacus changed it, but I'd go out on a limb and say he did a bad.
https://vgcollect.com/item/152643

tripredacus

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 10:15:24 am »
In the case of a franken-entry, the original intent of the item is preserved if possible. Agozer has explained it well enough.

Mastafalik changed The Wolf Among Us to [FR], I can't speak for the reason... it may have been for the same reason.
https://vgcollect.com/item/71971

Make sure to verify an item entry before adding it into your collection. If there is something wrong, then it should be reported into the Listing Errors thread.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 12:35:55 pm »
nvm

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 11:49:22 am »
In the case of a franken-entry, the original intent of the item is preserved if possible. Agozer has explained it well enough.

Mastafalik changed The Wolf Among Us to [FR], I can't speak for the reason... it may have been for the same reason.
https://vgcollect.com/item/71971

Make sure to verify an item entry before adding it into your collection. If there is something wrong, then it should be reported into the Listing Errors thread.

It's not about verifying an item before adding to the collection, because those people that added the game, including myself, added the PEGI Rating version of the game. Someone recently changed the front cover to the german version of the game and changed/added info (like people mentioned, the barcode - it could be, I haven't noticed before), a game that has been there for years.

You know that I create a lot of European games to this site, even though I don't own them, but it's an easy way for me to keep my wishlist updated. I saw a lot of games that I added to my collection - some of them I started; and someone, for whatever reason, changed it completely because they added a new front cover...
One of the first cases I remember perfectly was this one: https://vgcollect.com/item/111526. I created this version of the game because I own the Lenticular cover, called "All Stars Edition". Only a friend of mine (alvadia) and I, when we both worked on the same videogame store, added this first edition to the collection. Months later, someone decided to add a back cover and changed the title to [PL]. This case doesn't affect me much, because it's the same cover. But why adding the [PL] in the title when nothing actually changes? It's the same version, same barcode, it's only translated to PL. If they really wanted, (s)he could create a new item: and the same goes for the God of War III and Wolf among Us.

It's just a vent, I already proposed something about this kinda things with the EU versions covers, but sometimes I login and check my collection, it's boring to see that someone has changed something that was right.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 01:05:23 pm »

One of the first cases I remember perfectly was this one: https://vgcollect.com/item/111526. I created this version of the game because I own the Lenticular cover, called "All Stars Edition". Only a friend of mine (alvadia) and I, when we both worked on the same videogame store, added this first edition to the collection. Months later, someone decided to add a back cover and changed the title to [PL]. This case doesn't affect me much, because it's the same cover. But why adding the [PL] in the title when nothing actually changes? It's the same version, same barcode, it's only translated to PL. If they really wanted, (s)he could create a new item: and the same goes for the God of War III and Wolf among Us.

History shows that you didnt made that entry, but our Polish mod did. You just changed the title 1 time.

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 05:02:43 pm »
What entry did I create then?

tripredacus

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 09:50:17 am »

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2018, 06:12:05 pm »
That's odd... but ok. I'll create a PEGI version for Worms W.M.D. - All Stars Edition then.
What about the God of War III? Still need to create another item like the previous one, with PEGI symbol?

tripredacus

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 09:45:46 am »
If there is an European English version of God of War III, then you can add it, but make sure to put the EAN on the entry.

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2018, 12:20:31 pm »
If there is an European English version of God of War III, then you can add it, but make sure to put the EAN on the entry.

Yes, there is an english PEGI version of the game. But, in that case, it's a little useless  :-\ I never created portuguese items because I wanted to check how many people have that game in their collection, so I stuck with the standard PEGI version of each game. With all these different version, it wont be possible, like it happens with the NA editions...
So I'll create all my games in portuguese later, even being the only person owning them...

tripredacus

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2018, 12:30:53 pm »
It is up to you if you don't want to add the exact game you have into your collection, but generic entries have no place here.

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2018, 07:52:49 pm »
It is up to you if you don't want to add the exact game you have into your collection, but generic entries have no place here.

That doesn't answer anything, but thank you.
Those aren't generic entries at all. As you see, God of War PEGI version (in english) exists: https://www.thegamingsource.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/LRM_EXPORT_20180907_104328.jpg and it was my first edition of the game when I bought my PS3, till I replaced it to the portuguese cover.

Those are versions that exist and people have them. Some people don't want to waste time updating their list so they add "anything" to their collection; some people (like myself) like to add games to the collection and see how many other people have that game - just like it happens to all NA games, there is only one version of standard edition. It'd be impossible to do because there are something like 30 different versions of God of War or any other Playstation 3/4 exclusive with their country sticker on it, for each edition; even though I've already made a proposition for this which was ignored.

So, in conclusion, of all comments made to my topic, none of them answered it, but all implied to this:
- anyone can change any version of the game previously created, as long as they update the barcode and image of that version they own - not the one they are editing;
- I must create/duplicate all my items, even though they already exist, because someday the standard version of the game in this site will be replaced by any PL, FR or DE version;
- from things I mentioned above, nothing is going to be done to those versions, I must create item that suites me better.

Is this correct?

tripredacus

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2018, 10:10:59 am »
An entry that gets converted to another (by changing barcode or artwork) is in error and should not be done except in some circumstances.

God of War III: https://vgcollect.com/item/15612
- chwarg created this entry with EAN 711719158066
- in the past 7 years, this item became a franken-entry as people added covers and item numbers that did not match.
- Item entry was corrected by removing the /P from item number, and putting the front and back art that matched the EAN on the entry, and added the TLD as required.

Now in the entire 7 years that the entry had been on the site as just "God of War" and at least 3 years of having the wrong front art, people have added it to their collection. Why did they do this when the EAN had been there the whole time? Did they not know to look at the EAN on the thing they had and see there was a problem with the entry or attempt to ask anyone about it or get it corrected?

As for this complaint that someone can come along and change an entry you made into something else, isn't the response here the correct one? Wouldn't the appropriate admin response be to revert the item to what it was intended to be if apparent? This is what we did with the God of War III entry, we undid the changes that had occured over time to change the entry into a different release.

As for the God of War III European English version, if it is not in the db currently, it can be added sans TLD. If there is a UK specific release already in the db sans TLD, it should have [UK] added so that there doesn't end up being more than 1 item in the same category with the same item title.