Author Topic: How important are video games to you on a scale of 1-10? (Gamer scale)  (Read 3099 times)

Hello everyone :)

While we all love video games extremely much as why we are here discussing them and collecting them.  Their are various levels of being not only dependent on video games but also how sentimentally they are important to you and your life at the moment.   Hence I present to you the gamer scale.  A scale to determine how much of a gamer you are :)

The Gamer Scale

1 out of 10 -  You don't care about video games at all, you most likely hate them and would prefer if they weren't corrupting the youth, you could never play one as long as you live and if you ever do play one it's out of just trying to hang out with people who do or out of jokes or pitty.  They hold no merit or impact on your life, you wouldn't lose sleep if the industry collapsed and you are void of games on a daily basis. You hate gaming culture, you hate gamers and you refer to the community as a toxic cesspool.

2 out of 10 -  You don't play games, you don't like them much but don't harbor any hatred either.  You just don't care about games and don't have any in your home.

3 out of 10-  You were once into games as a kid but might have outgrew them, you don't play often but do like a game or two and did enjoy them growing up with your syblings. 

4 out of 10 -  You have since taken a break from gaming or very casually endulge in a game in between working and dealing with family life. But it's just a small side hobby.  You enjoy the casual party match of smash or some wii games with the wife but could easily live without them and have other profound hobbies that take more importance.

5 out of 10 -   You are the casual gamer, you only like 1 or 2 games mainly, might own one or two consoles and will at times play online when bored but you do other things for the majority of your time.

6 out of 10 -  You play games as much as the average youth, in between work or school.  They hold the importance of any hobby or side fun.  You enjoy them quite a bit and maybe have about 5 main games you play at least weekly.  You would be pissed if they got lost or stolen but you'd live fine doing other things.  You have a lot of fun playing with friends online or enjoying your time with them.  But wouldn't consider yourself a die hard. 

7 out of 10   -  You game more then the average person,  enjoy them more then the average person and revere them as a part of your happiness.   A 7 out of 10 is a entry level purist of game culture.  You may have a Zelda wallet or preorder games.  But you still could live without them although uncomfortably.   This is the typical gamer you find at gamestop preordering something.   

8 out of 10 -   You are a gaming fanatic, a nerd if you will.  Someone who has camped in many of preorder lines, midnight launch parties, black friday launches.  You love collector edition games.  It's easily your favorite thing to do with your spare time.  You hold video games high in your sentimental memories of childhood and you can't fathom a life without them. Although you most likely would theoretically survive.  You spend quite a bit on them, but not to an extent that makes them essential to you being happy or conflicting with anything.

9 out of 10 -  You are a die hard with a collection that occupies much of your house and budget, you love games so much that you at times unhealthy binge them,  you spend a good portion of your finances on them,  you love them, categorize them,  draw them,  tattoo them,  you can verse theme songs.  Have cheat codes memorized,  you go to conventions, cosplay,  you are 100 percent a die hard game geek. Who dabbles in video game history,  retro obscure games,  curating libraries.   You are subbed to Metal Jesus Rocks, Cinemassacre and probably have more video games than you do space to put them  ;D.   You have a large "Upcoming releases" list that you keep track of,  you buy from LRG and wait at midnight for people to launch CE games for you to buy first.  You have lost relationships and friends before because of games and feel you still came out in the plus side of things.   You are the guy dressed as Link at Gamecon lol

10 out of 10 -   You are emotionally and physcially dependant on games to a dangerous or unfortunate level. You use games as a crutch to escape actual life, without games you'd most likely be suicidal or enter an extreme pit of depression and darkness.  Games are if not 100 percent of your current life, damn close. You can't live without them happily or healthily. As the confinements of every day life near closer into scarring you mentally again, you run to games as your sacred serenity to escape the mundane pain of every day life.   You prefer games over a majority of your family members, you would sacrafice friends before you would the controller and without games your life and your memories would be essentially worthless and a good portion of your happiness has always and always will come from being in the digital world where you are whoever you want to be.  You interpet the video game world as being better than your actual life.  You invision yourself as the character,  have romantically become obsessed with characters.  You spend well over 80 hours per week gaming. :)

I think at times I may develop 10 tendencies,  But I am realistically a 8 or a 9. I love my family way too much to be a 10, and I think without my family i'd be a 10 for sure.  I am a 10 in terms of how much I play and consume and in using them as a crutch to deal with emotional stuff. I want to be an 8 or a 9 as an intended goal but i'd be lying if I said I haven't slipped into 10 at times.   Especially when i'm sad.     But i'm what i'd say is a 8.  I need games in my life, I love and adore them.  The culture of them is instilled in my soul.  But I don't think i'm emotionally dependent on them.  But i'm probably lying to myself  ;D

But as a whole, i'm a 8 or 9.   I think many of us collectors will fall somewhere from 7 to 9.  :)

Thanks for sharing.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 05:35:06 am by marvelvscapcom2 »

Re: How important are video games to you on a scale of 1-10? (Gamer scale)
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 06:22:05 am »
I'd say I sit comfortably within the 9 of that category.

Gaming has just always been an engaging format within my life. Within recent years I find my love for filmmaking has crashed with little incentive to go out to cinemas but the game industry has kept me hooked all this generation from month to month! I think it's fair to say over 75% of items I own are Video Game related :P From games to guides, soundtracks and art books.

I have a gaming schedule which is currently set in stone until October 2019  :P:
- Playing through the Kngdom Hearts series before the release of Kingdom Hearts 3 - Which I have book holiday off for. I'm up to Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix & then to play Dream Drop Distance which I never have before.
- Also in the mix, I intend to play the Resident Evil REmake in prep for the wonderful upcoming REmake of Resident Evil 2.
- After them to around March we get Devil May Cry V... So I intend to play through that series with the PS4 Remasters as well.
- AFTER THAT, I may have a few months of backlog catching up - Not that it has stopped me buying games this month :P
- But then, I will replay Shenmue 1 & 2, in prep for the momentous release of Shenmue III! (I found myself even drawing Fan art the other day on this :P)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 06:34:10 am by vivigamer »

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 10:40:56 am »

kypherion

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 10:53:27 am »
10 minus sacrificing friends

but to quote Thanos, "The hardest choices require the strongest wills."
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 11:22:11 am »
8.5, maybe? Most of 9 is correct, but I don't buy CEs, I do put people before games, and I don't cosplay.

telly

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 11:32:56 am »
I'm a solid 7, maybe even a 6 at times depending on how busy other things get
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 11:41:04 am »
Because of where you are posting this, why are 1, 2 and 3 options? I don’t imagine you’re going to get too many takers there.

And I’m a solid 8, with a few 9 tendencies.

kashell

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 12:01:30 pm »
How...long did that take to write all up? O.o

Anyways, 7.5 for me.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 12:47:56 pm »
How...long did that take to write all up? O.o

Anyways, 7.5 for me.

Ole Marv has kissed the Blarney Stone, for sure.

I have tendencies in 6-10

I guess I average out to about a 7.

sworddude

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 12:53:12 pm »
6.5 here

Don't fit the bill for 2nd half as far as the score of 7 goes.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 01:00:59 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2018, 01:36:48 pm »
I'd say 8 with a few things from 9

indenton

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 02:37:52 pm »
I believe I would within the 7.5 range.  I love video games, relative to a lot of people on here I think I have a pretty humble collection.  I've never camped out for a midnight launch or anything. 

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 02:41:42 pm »

kypherion

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2018, 03:16:33 pm »
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2018, 04:49:56 pm »
I'd say an 8.5

Video games are and have been a very important part of my life for a long time.