Author Topic: 2019 Video Game Resolutions  (Read 4666 times)

2019 Video Game Resolutions
« on: December 01, 2018, 11:37:31 am »
Here we are in the final month of 2018 and it's time not only to think about what we strive to do next year in terms of playing and collecting video games, but how we did this year based off our answers from last year.

https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,8772.msg148265.html#msg148265

So how did you do this year (we still have a month left so there is still time to potentially knock another 1 or 2 out), and what are your gaming resolutions for next year?

kashell

Re: 2019 Video Game Resolutions
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 11:44:29 am »
I played more games and I bought more games, so I did A-OK! Next year I plan on doing the same. It's gonna be a good one!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 11:57:20 am »
Not a whole lot on my plate:

-More Genesis shoot-em ups.

-Resident Evil 2 Remake.

-Polymega console - Console that plays old-school disc-based games in HD like Sega CD, 3DO, Saturn, and PS1.

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 12:13:54 pm »
My 2018 Resolutions:

Update my collection on here: This took about a week, but i successfully recataloged my entire collection, taking into account a year's worth of games I sold and also some that I acquired. I still find a straggler here and there that either should have been removed or added, but in all 99.99% of my collection is up to date in the VGcollect DB.

Participate in the 52 games challenge: I not only participated in this challenge, but I completed it, and then some! My intention was just to try it out, but I ended up getting carried away and played way more games this year than I had originally intended. Sadly next year I will not be participating in this challenge at all until I renew my tech certs which expire the end of May next year; this will be my goal and priority over all else this next year.

Work on downsizing my collection: I decided to scrap this goal since I felt like my collection could no longer shrink without me regretting selling anything else left in my collection. I've definitely added to my collection if anything.

Replay my old top 10 games list: I not only replayed the games in my old top 10 list, but also replayed many other games that I felt had a fair shot at entering my top 10 games. Some did, many didn't, but i'm happy that within one year I replayed all these amazing games that I've considered the best I've ever played.

Build my import collection: I certainly did build my collection of imports, but sadly I probably didn't even add 10 new import games this year. I rarely come across these for obvious reasons, and what I do acquire is usually because of birthday or xmas presents from my GF since she knows I love them. But regardless I did add some import games and hopefully with Xmas right around the corner I'll add even more to my collection. Hell, maybe I'll break 10 before the year is over :p

In summary I was very successful in completing my 2018 video game resolutions. Now it's time for my video game related resolutions for next year:

2019 Video Game Resolutions:

Reach 2000 games in my collection: I came extremely close (1990 to be exact) to reaching this before I had to start downsizing my collection in 2017, and with me being only 32 games away from that goal I am very confident I'll finally reach this milestone.

Obtain an NES console and reach 30 NES games in my collection: Despite having a few NES games left from my original collection of about 50, I sold almost all my NES games, and also sold my top loader that I scored on ebay close to a decade ago. This year I'd like to find a decent chunk of these games again and rebuy them as well as get another NES console to play them on. I figured 30 is a reasonable number since most of the games I want for the NES are the cheaper, more common titles.

Add at least 10 new games respectively to my Gamecube, Genesis and SNES collections: Not as bad as the NES, but these collections took a beating as well in terms of me selling off a fairly large chunk of them. I figure buying at least 10 new games for each of them would sufficiently put me on the right path towards rebuilding these collection, and at least in the case of the Gamecube would pretty much rebuy all the games I wish I didn't have to sell. I imagine this will be the hardest goal to complete since it involves retro games and they aren't exactly the most abundant or reasonably priced games out there. But we'll see what happens and hopefully I'll be able to meet this one in a year.

So there they are, my 2019 gaming resolutions! Notice how they all involve collecting and not playing games. I will certainly be playing games this next year, however since buying a game takes way less time and effort than playing through one these goals seem acceptable in light of me needing to buckle down and maintain my technical certs. I imagine that until I renew these certs I doubt I'll beat more than half a dozen games and certainly none of them will be RPGs, adventure games, or really any game that would take me more than a few hours to play through and beat. Once I get my certification I plan on starting to play games again and there are a few I have in mind that I definitely want to play, including Shenmue III which comes out next Fall (supposedly).

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 05:06:30 pm »
for right now buy and play more video games I haven't even tried
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 06:42:34 pm »
This years plan was to do more backlog stuff, which I generally tried to.  Some didn't work out, like I've kinda lost interest in The Banner Saga, I dropped Steamworld Heist and Tales of Berseria among a few others, but I beat Resident Evil Remastered HD, Tacoma/Gone Home, SOMA, and a few others.  I'd like to say I'll do more of that, but it'll be abit hit and miss as I still play quite a lot of new releases.  No real plans for me next year and I'll just keep doing the 52 Games Challenge thing as it's a fantastic way to just keep track of everything I'm playing, though this year I destroyed the challenge.  First true completion already I believe based on my personal criteria and I still have at least a couple more games I'll play before the year is out.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 06:53:43 pm »
Same resolutions as always
-Kick ass
-Chew gum
-Be out of gum

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 07:16:15 pm »
Cut the fat
Add what I already dont have on this site because I have been slacking off on that front
Play more games

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2018, 07:37:44 pm »
My goals:

Participate in the 52 game challenge again
Finish my ps1 longbox collection- only need 14 more
Make further progress on the ps1 complete set- just about 400 to go- i think i can get down to 150 by end of next year
Reorganize my collection so it looks less cluttered, get some higher quality bookshelves
Have fun and play lots of games!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 11:26:10 pm by NickAwesome »

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2018, 07:45:39 pm »
-Kick ass
-Chew gum
-Be out of gum

Ahhh a Famous Quote From Duke Nukem 3D PC, or Duke Nukem Total Meltdown on PlayStation 1 ;)

for anyones information these is more to just Duke Nukem 3D on PC

Duke Nukem 3D or Duke Nukem 3D Atomic Edition is one of the greatest video games in my opinion. Beleve it or not there was 3 expansion packs, and, many more fan made spin-offs to that game. like Duke Zone 1, and
Duke Zone 2, Duke Nukem Assault, Duke Nukem Extreme and many more

the three expansions to that PC version game are

1: Duke Nukem Duke It Out In DC
2:Duke Nukem Nuclear Winter
3: Duke Caribbean: Life's A Beach

Steam is the best way to get those 3 expansion packs up and working correctly.  I think that is if steam still has them :-\
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 07:51:03 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2018, 07:55:18 pm »
-Kick ass
-Chew gum
-Be out of gum

Ahhh a Famous Quote From Duke Nukem 3D PC, or Duke Nukem Total Meltdown on PlayStation 1

Which was cribbed from the John Carpenter film They Live  ;)

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2018, 09:02:14 pm »
-Kick ass
-Chew gum
-Be out of gum

Ahhh a Famous Quote From Duke Nukem 3D PC, or Duke Nukem Total Meltdown on PlayStation 1

Either way both are badass and if you haven't watched or played either you should and if you have you should do so again.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2018, 10:45:21 pm »
-Kick ass
-Chew gum
-Be out of gum

Rowdy Roddy Piper

As cool as Duke Nukem may be, he's no Hot Rod!

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2018, 05:03:28 am »
I think I need to sit down and really play through more of the games I've gathered. I've down well the last few weeks with The Darkness 1 & 2, I'm now playing El Shaddai, but I have so many games that I say I'm going to get to but never do - I still have games sealed from Black Firday last year... didn't stop me gathering a bundle this year :P So I'll be participating in next years Challenge 52 if it is going.

I think my biggest rule now is to look out for upcoming games and see if they have a Season Pass and try pre-determine if it will have a Complete Edition within the following year. I managed to do this with a few games like Horizon Zero Dawn & Injustice 2 which i got the Legendary Edtion of recently. However, some games still haven't like Wolfenstien 2. So sadly it's still very hard to judge.

kypherion

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2018, 06:00:57 pm »
I'm going to try to own a lot more Castlevania titles, along with some more japanese copies of Gamecube games.
also get more 6th generation games because I love that generation
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"