Author Topic: Can You Speak Or Understand Different World Languages?  (Read 1690 times)

Can You Speak Or Understand Different World Languages?
« on: December 01, 2018, 05:15:24 pm »
It's always a good idea to learn Japanese if you love video games in my opinion, due to the fact that there is probably more Japanese exclusive video games than in an other exclusive language

I only speak English knowing what I am saying, I never took the time or the resources to learn any other world language, how about you? I'm sure at least some of you speak or understand a different language. If you are one of them care to say how you learned it? or maybe how long you've spoken more than one language? Some languages are harder to learn then others :)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: Can You Speak Or Understand Different World Languages?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 05:23:23 pm »
I have some stuff to help learn Japanese to some degree, it's something I've always wanted to learn, just haven't fully set time aside to learn it as I basically need to put myself into a school mindset.  I would legit want to take Japanese Language courses at a college, but I don't really have the money for that right now.  Japanese culture has fascinated me for years and I'd like to try and learn more if I could.

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 05:51:58 pm »
I can understand and read Spanish.

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 09:39:29 pm »
I can speak just enough Japanese to ask for help finding someone who speaks English if I'm ever stranded in Japan. It helps with growing my new Wonderswan collection.

My fiancé dabbled in German. I remember once listening to a German band with him, and asking him what he thought a song was about. He said the title was something to the effect of 'this is our world', and I had this weird epiphany that he hears German the same way I hear Japanese. It really struck me at the time.

wolfen

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 11:18:06 pm »
I think the only foreign language I can confidently speak is German and even then I only took about 2 years of it.

I can understand Spanish pretty well because I went to school with mostly Mexican kids in SoCal but I could never hold a conversation.

I've also been slowly trying to learn some Japanese over the last year, I only know how to use singular words.

I'm hoping to hone my German and Japanese skills at least a little more.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 11:20:45 pm by wolfen »

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 11:52:27 pm »
i can understand a speak a little japanese, korean, spanish, and french.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 04:39:02 am »
I can understand and read write English. German i can understand and read. And my native language is Dutch.

Agozer

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 07:54:56 pm »
Let's see, I'm fluent in Finnish and English, and I understand Swedish, German and Japanese to a degree.

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 08:29:30 pm »
Like many other weebs on this site, I can speak some Japanese and still am fairly good at reading and writing it, at least hiragana; I barely remember any Kanji. I took two years of it in high school and a year and a half in college and about 25% stuck with me all these years. After my last college semester of it I probably could have functioned in Japan with what I knew, but I was far from fluent. It's been close to 10-years since the last time I formally studied the language and outside anime, manga, and occasionally hearing other's speak it I am completely out of practice.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2018, 03:14:36 am »
Je parle francaise avec mes amis francophones. :)

rayne315

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2018, 05:31:09 pm »
I have dabbled in trying to learn many languages. German, dutch, Spanish, Japanese, laoation (laos), ETC. problem is I have a hard time keeping interest in the learning process so I quickly learn a whole bunch and then in 2 weeks- a month I give up and forget the majority of what i learned. My wife on the other hand picked up on Gallic because she thought it sounded pretty songs. although I do not understand any of it she is capable of talking in it convincingly enough to make me think she is fluent. I cant say for sure if she is or not just because she has never actually met anyone who has spoken it.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2018, 05:34:33 pm »
Si senor

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2018, 05:38:57 pm »
No hablo español.

pizzasafari

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2018, 05:52:36 pm »
I'm learning Japanese at the mo, about 50% to spoken fluency and like 10% written. I keep losing my momentum studying kanji and stopping for a few months and forgetting everything I learned.

When I'm finally fluent in Japanese I'll probably study something else for fun, I've been considering Mandarin because it seems like a really fun language to learn. Or maybe something useless but fun like Old English.

ferraroso

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2018, 09:21:41 am »
Being born in Brazil, having lived in the US and currently living in Japan, I can speak Portuguese, English and Japanese.
Apart from that (I don't mean to show off or anything), due to the fact that the study of foreign languages plays a huge part in my area of research (Philosophy), I can also use Spanish, French, Italian, Ancient Greek and Early Medieval Latin. Finally, I've studied German and Hebrew in during my time as an undergrad student, but I have some difficulties in writing and speaking them nowadays.
I really wish I could understand Russian and Chinese though...