Author Topic: What are your thoughts on digital collections?  (Read 2407 times)

What are your thoughts on digital collections?
« on: December 01, 2018, 05:58:45 pm »
Do you value digital collections of games, movies and music?

I've seen some extreme anti-digital views calling it here today gone tomorrow server reliant rentals.

There's also the whole ownership thing, with digital you have a license to access the material - which theoretically can one day be taken away from you.

On the other hand physical stuff takes up physical space in your house and if you want to be a heavy consumer of media and entertainment it could be pretty sizeable clutter - though some see that 'clutter' as a desirable collection.

What do you think? Are digital collections good?

Re: What are your thoughts on digital collections?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 07:07:24 pm »
Depends on if it has DRM or not. Nintendo lets you own your digital games and use them offline. Microsoft on the other hand removes games from your user library, so those digitals don't count. Steam is a whole different matter, with it depending on the individual game.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 07:14:41 pm by courtlyhades296 »

ferraroso

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 07:11:00 pm »
I don't have problems in "owning" music and movies that don't depend on licenses to be listened to or wathced. Even if techonlogy changes, as soon as you have a device that is compatible with the format in which your files are saved, you will always have access to your stuff.
(Unless they are saved on the cloud.)

In the case of video games, if the person just wants to play them and doesn't care about losing the license to something they bought, I think you could call this a "perecible collection" or something like that.
As for me, I don't consider "owning" anything digitally as part of my collection. The last time I downloaded any game was probably about 4 or 5 years ago, but soon after that, I promissed myself to NEVER by digital games again. I've lost a lot of games I bought with hard owned money after system updates or simply because the company, for one reason or other, decided that I couldn't play the game anymore...

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 07:15:26 pm »
Forgot to mention that Nintendo lets you outright own your digital games. No other company does that.

dreama1

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 08:45:56 pm »
Only if it's disposable entertainment. Don't bargain with something you're not willing to lose. I had a xbox 360 back in the day and I bought a lot but that 360 broke. For the life of me getting a new xbox 360 with the same hardrive those games would just no longer work. Still pissed off about that.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 09:04:41 pm »
No use for it unless free or the only option. I like to collect physical items that I actually own. I have VHS and cassette tapes that are over 30 years old and still work fine. See if the servers for 30 year old games will still be there.

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 09:25:37 pm »
It's gonna vary from person to person, depending on their space needs, if they have a tendency to give away old media they no longer use, etc.

I personally am not a fan- I put a lot of value into the tangible object of the game. Plus, most games are stored specifically on your personal machine, & can't be easily transferred around- if I want to bring a game to a friend's house, I throw the disc in my bag. If I want to take a digital game, I have to get my profile on their machine, verify it, mark the machine as one of my authorized devices, and re-download the game. Granted, the modern gaming scene & its massive download patches make using physical discs inconvenient too- but it's still easier. Plus, you generally can't trade, sell, or give away a digital copy. For example: I bought the complete edition of Horizon Zero Dawn & the Royal Edition of Final Fantasy 15. My old basic copies were given away to friends who hadn't yet tried them yet. On the other hand- my physical Recore: Definitive edition caused my digital vanilla Recore to vanish into the ether, with no option to pass the license onto a buddy. Feels like a waste, really.

Music media isn't nearly has bad, as you can typically host the files on your own storage & move/use the files are you will regardless of 'authorized devices' or online status. Plus, since songs are usually short, being able to carry around dozens of them on your phone or a 2-inch pocket box is very handy. (I still buy CDs to rip most of the time though, I only go pure digital for single songs or albums not available on disc.) I feel like if I could use games in a way similar to MP3s I'd be more into digital.

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 12:03:50 am »
Some of us are lucky we were born in the 1960's 1970's 1980's or 1990's or early 2000's or before 1960's because we actually got to own our games physically.

I personally think that one reason why the whole modern gaming market switched to digital only. Because of those people who trade the game into stores as soon as they beat them >:(, I am pissed also that video games we buy can now be taking away from us. In spite of paying full price on everything out these days. All of us Gamers both retro and modern need to pray that the physical  realm of games continues, or at least some of the laws on owning physical things don't change due to greed.

The Flashback as well as the classic consoles were a great idea in my opinion. I hope that future consoles will not have media rights, ensuring that game companies will allow offline usage.

Worst thing that could happen is if the next generation the 9th generation could charge us a weekly monthly or daily fee in order to continue to play the games and console we already purchased >:(
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 04:36:12 am »
I don't value it at all. I never had for anything digital and if it is possible I will get the physical version whenever possible - Even if that means waiting, like I am fo Life Is Strange 2 right now.

Though these days with PS4 Games the game on disc simply is not the final product, with all the Updates we receive it does sort of devalue the disc. However, I still hold them at higher value as the disc maintains the majority of the content and can be installed within 20 seconds. But recently with the Spyro fiasco I refused to buy the game at all as the benefits of having the game physically were not included as I had to download the majority of the game - Which in retrospect now, we know the game could have fit on the disc.

Within this year I have considered digital purchases for games with a lesser file size, it's why I don't tend to go out of my way to buy Limited Run indie releases. I'll get the game still if it's something I cherish like Sonic Mania or the Secret of Mana remake but I am more less included to as the biggest selling feature for physical medium on a practical manner is the quick installs - But of course I like having the game on disc, being part fo the collection and feeling like I own the product rather than renting.

However, what has been annoying me recently is Remasters for JRPG;'s on the PS4 which are digital only - Star Ocean: The Last hope, Resonance of Fate, The Last Remnant. All these games are pretty hefty in file size and I would have happily bought a physical Edition for each of them. I don't like the idea of physical games like this not being an option as the 50gb+ download is horrendous & it has to remain there on my HDD as I don't want to go through the process again. What also annoys me about the PS4 is that you can't separate the Install Data from the Update Data, which is something you could do on many PS3 titles. if I had the option I'd keep the update data stored on my HDD and just delete all the Disc install Data as I please - This is a big feature I want from next gen consoles.

ffxik

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 05:10:12 am »
I am a fan of physical movies and games, that said in some instances that doesn't matter much.  Take Need for Speed "20" for instance.  I may own the physical disc but without a persistent internet connection it's useless.  Music I have pretty much moved completely to digital on that.  I still buy discs but it's rare.

Though for some it's more of a space issue, or a matter of convenience.

Depends on if it has DRM or not. Nintendo lets you own your digital games and use them offline. Microsoft on the other hand removes games from your user library, so those digitals don't count. Steam is a whole different matter, with it depending on the individual game.

I have never had this happen with games I have paid for.  Now games attained through Games With Gold, whole different scenario.  It's the same with PS+.  They do state that if your membership expires you lose the games.

Only if it's disposable entertainment. Don't bargain with something you're not willing to lose. I had a xbox 360 back in the day and I bought a lot but that 360 broke. For the life of me getting a new xbox 360 with the same hardrive those games would just no longer work. Still pissed off about that.

You did transfer the licenses, correct?

Some of us are lucky we were born in the 1960's 1970's 1980's or 1990's or early 2000's or before 1960's because we actually got to own our games physically.

I personally think that one reason why the whole modern gaming market switched to digital only. Because of those people who trade the game into stores as soon as they beat them >:(, I am pissed also that video games we buy can now be taking away from us. In spite of paying full price on everything out these days. All of us Gamers both retro and modern need to pray that the physical  realm of games continues, or at least some of the laws on owning physical things don't change due to greed.

The Flashback as well as the classic consoles were a great idea in my opinion. I hope that future consoles will not have media rights, ensuring that game companies will allow offline usage.

Worst thing that could happen is if the next generation the 9th generation could charge us a weekly monthly or daily fee in order to continue to play the games and console we already purchased >:(

There are a multitude of reasons they are pushing digital.  Cutting manufacturing, distribution costs, the second hand market.

The Flashback series is a good idea but is and can be prone to abuse not only by third parties.  Take the scalpers that made the NES and SNES Flashbacks a pricey nightmare to get a hold of.  It's also prone to abuse by first parties, look at what Sony has done with the Playstation Classic.  There is a fine line with products like these and so far the only one to get it right has been Nintendo.  Sony, Sega, and SNK have all dropped that ball.

Unless they make their particular online service mandatory, I don't see this happening.  The push back that happened when the Xbox One was announced should be enough.  Gamers don't like to be told how they are to enjoy the items they paid for.  Any console that is announced that you have to not only pay full price for, but an involuntary fee to use, will die on the vine.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 05:19:04 am by ffxik »

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2018, 05:26:31 am »
With games there is often a hefty day one patch taking the total size far and above what fits on a 50GB blu ray disc.

If you try a disc in a fresh console later down the line it won’t have bug fixes, the multiplayer will be disabled etc.

I think online functionality is becoming more and more integral to a game. You have games using the internet to send daily challenges into games and things of that nature as well.

The concept of a physical disc will eventually become antiquated and redundant for the size of game files and the features they need to have.

With movies the convenience can often elevate having the ability to steam at will while the company servers are still active (and on multiple devices)  above owning a physical disc.

The iTunes Store and Steam have been around for as long as I can remember and both still allow me to use everything I’ve ever bought from them.

I enjoy browsing digital sales that change every week

Yesterday I bought Alien Covenant (2017) on iTunes for £1.99

Movies are kind of disposable media for me, sort of a one and done deal. So it makes a lot of sense to just gain access to it than to keep a disc in my house forevermore that is used once and never watched again.

It’s very rare that I would want to pay full retail for digital content however so while I appreciate the convenience of not changing a disc and not taking up space in the house I still have that mental barrier of a non-tangible piece of entertainment only being worth up to a certain ceiling.

I bought Red Dead Redemption 2 day one digital and don’t regret it.

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2018, 07:27:40 am »

There are a multitude of reasons they are pushing digital.  Cutting manufacturing, distribution costs, the second hand market.

I know that it cuts the cost of game companies to make the game discs. But the bottom line is I find it a poor excuse for them to say and do this. Movies and CD's also cost money to produce and make happen for us.

Example: The makings of one average movie costs multi millions currency all around the world. to make and produce, yet we still have physical movies to buy and take home with us to watch it. And keep them for as long as we want.

Music CD's are also sold on the second hand market and also cost money, and, dedication to produce, record and make the music CD's happen. yet you can still find them and keep them. Or download them digital if you want. Same as with movies. But not video game? I know exactly what @ffxik is saying, but I think the game industry has gone greedy. Just plain unfair greed to it's consumers and I only see it getting worse in the gaming industry with rental consoles only. But that is just a guess :(

Down with the greed!!!!!!! >:(

Everyone else is paying for industry/factory cost, Down with the greed in most of the modern gaming industry.  >:(

don't say it a hardware thing because that is just another excuse for the gaming industry, I compare things now and how it used to be. OK guys? and the old days were a lot better in my opinion.

Maybe I'm wrong to say this, but the modern gamers are getting ripped off in my own opinion, yet some of you are used to it :'(

Thats me
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 10:08:36 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2018, 12:41:40 pm »
Anything digitally distributed has no value once it's been purchased. I know that some online services have ways of trading digital games, but at the end of the day the digital games you have are not yours and never were. They are the illusion of ownership and nothing more. With that said I have a lot of digital games in my Steam and GOG library, but I barely paid anything for nearly all of them which justifies the sacrifice in ownership for the convenience of having them work on a modern OS.

ffxik

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2018, 04:56:59 pm »
With games there is often a hefty day one patch taking the total size far and above what fits on a 50GB blu ray disc.

If you try a disc in a fresh console later down the line it won’t have bug fixes, the multiplayer will be disabled etc.

I think online functionality is becoming more and more integral to a game. You have games using the internet to send daily challenges into games and things of that nature as well.

The concept of a physical disc will eventually become antiquated and redundant for the size of game files and the features they need to have.

That is true but to be fair we have the BDXL format which allows for 100GB of data to be stored to a disc.  It just cannot be used by traditional Blu-Ray drives.  It also happens to be quite expensive as well.

I agree with you there.  Unless a game gets re-released during the next generation quite a lot of games will die when the services that support those consoles goes down.  Unless they plan on leaving those services open for the previous generation during continued future generations.  Which is wishful thinking.

Yep.

I know that it cuts the cost of game companies to make the game discs. But the bottom line is I find it a poor excuse for them to say and do this. Movies and CD's also cost money to produce and make happen for us.

Example: The makings of one average movie costs multi millions currency all around the world. to make and produce, yet we still have physical movies to buy and take home with us to watch it. And keep them for as long as we want.

Music CD's are also sold on the second hand market and also cost money, and, dedication to produce, record and make the music CD's happen. yet you can still find them and keep them. Or download them digital if you want. Same as with movies. But not video game? I know exactly what @ffxik is saying, but I think the game industry has gone greedy. Just plain unfair greed to it's consumers and I only see it getting worse in the gaming industry with rental consoles only. But that is just a guess :(

Down with the greed!!!!!!! >:(

Everyone else is paying for industry/factory cost, Down with the greed in most of the modern gaming industry.  >:(

don't say it a hardware thing because that is just another excuse for the gaming industry, I compare things now and how it used to be. OK guys? and the old days were a lot better in my opinion.

Maybe I'm wrong to say this, but the modern gamers are getting ripped off in my own opinion, yet some of you are used to it :'(

Thats me

Yes but there are factors that go into the profit margins for music and movies that aren't available for video games.  The film industry really doesn't care about how many home movies it sells.  Don't get me wrong they do, but for them it's all about ticket sales at the theater.  That is where the film industry recoups most of it's investments.  If the movie actually can that is.  The music industry does care about albums sold, but the artists also tour to support, promote, and hopefully move units while that album is on store shelves.

The game industry like the film industry, does all the promotion before the game drops and hopes that it's not a flaming pile so they can move units to recoup the investment.  If a movie bombs at the box office they can hopefull get some cash back through home release.  Can't do that with a video game.

I agree greed has a lot to do with it, but so does practicality.   Because it very much is a hardware issue.  Media such as music and film just require that the data be read from a disc and played back.  There is a whole lot more going on under the hood of that console.  Unfortunately the Blu-ray hardware itself just cannot keep up with the demand of current big budget games.  That is the reason there is a massive install on every game this generation, and why games last gen on the PS3 had a mandatory install as well as some 360 games.  The demands of those games just couldn't be met with the read speed of the hardware.

As far as "rental" systems go I don't see that happening.  What I do see happening is the shift away from physical media.  A glorified Steam box if you will.

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2018, 09:01:41 pm »
For the life of me getting a new xbox 360 with the same hardrive those games would just no longer work. Still pissed off about that.

With Xbox 360 digital products, there are two licenses, one for the account that purchased it, and one for the console it was purchased on. If the content is accessed on the console it was purchased on, all users can access it, online or offline. If you just have the account license however, than that account must be logged in and connected to Xbox Live in order to use the content.

The console license can be transferred over to a new system easily enough, but there is a cooldown on it to prevent people from abusing the transfers to share games.

As for the main topic, while I do have well over 1,000 games in my various digital libraries, I have little to no value or attachment for them. Without that physical element, the connection just isn't there. The core exception there is my Team Fortress 2 inventory, both because of the effort it took to build up and that I could liquidate it for several thousand dollars if need be.