Author Topic: Retro 90's Shooter/Survival Horror Throwbacks?  (Read 1209 times)

Retro 90's Shooter/Survival Horror Throwbacks?
« on: December 02, 2018, 04:43:46 am »
A big thing in the indie scene these days are developers who are able to make their own games based on stuff they grew up with, so we get the sidescrolling brawler throwbacks like Fight 'N Rage, or people make what are essentially long lost sequels to classic platformers like The Messenger or Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon...but how many like the idea of these 90's shooter/survival horror throwbacks, bad looking polygons and all?

I like pixel art, but pixelated textures on low end polygon models just looks kinda crappy to me.  There's nothing wrong with being nostalgic of that era, but when you got games like Strafe and Dusk trying to replicate those earlier shooters, another being like Ion Maiden, which actually looks abit better than these, with more modern elements, like actual aiming, it doesn't feel overly fun to me.  I know I'm spoiled on shooters nowadays and I like games that bring back elements of that era as I dig Shadow Warrior and the older Painkiller or the new Doom, but I just tried to play Strafe and it was just kind "bleh" and not because it's specifically bad or anything, it just didn't feel like this is something I want to relive.

It's not even just pure shooters as a smaller burgeoning part of the indie scene are 90's survival horror games, stuff that is supposed to emulate the ideas of the original Silent Hill and Resident Evil, again with ugly graphics and visuals and all.  To be fair, I'm not really nostalgic for that era a lot of the time, I mean I didn't start playing shooters till Goldeneye and more specifically 2000, and I hate tank controls, so anything trying to emulate that era of movement drives me nuts. 

Anyone else like this bit of retro throwback?  It's one of the few types of retro I don't really care for, but I'm curious to hear other peoples views on it.

Re: Retro 90's Shooter/Survival Horror Throwbacks?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 10:41:37 am »
This may be an unpopular opinion, but I find 95% of indie games to be trash. The ones that go for a throwback feel often feel contrived and overly derivative of the games they are trying to be/pay tribute to. I feel like these genres would be no different, but again, there are those 5% that are actually pretty good so there is a chance that some could be decent. I know there are already some good indie survival horror games, although I know many of them are accused of just being creepy walking simulators. In all I'm not a huge fan of indie games regardless of the genre.

Agozer

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 01:36:21 pm »
This may be an unpopular opinion, but I find 95% of indie games to be trash. The ones that go for a throwback feel often feel contrived and overly derivative of the games they are trying to be/pay tribute to.
I have to agree, especially "survival" horror games.

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 04:24:17 pm »
I haven't played any survival horror games, to my knowledge, but I do love 1990's shooter games, there was a lot good games in the shooter genre in the 1990's, as for throwbacks or indie titles, at least it is something to play for those interested, But I have my reasons why I am not at all a current generation fan.
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 02:43:53 pm »
Residence of Evil (big Resident Evil fanpage on Facebook) has been releasing screenshots of an old Resident Evil style shooter they're working on. Might want to follow them. It looks impressive.