Author Topic: Do You Prefer Having Cartridges Or CD's/etc For TV Console Video Games?  (Read 1062 times)

A Cartridge can technically be a harddrive or a USB Flash or a SD or a SD mini card with with one game or a whole bunch of games on it and so can a CD, only difference is now a video game cartridge as far as I know can hold more than traditional CD's DVD's or even Blurayy.

what do you prefer to play your modern games? or even your classic games on? and do you perfer to play most of your classic or modern games with a disc/CD/DVDor Bluray disc or instead of that

a cartridge? in which is technically could be the same thing as a harddrive or an SD card or mini SD card or flash drive

And do you think that the modern video game industry would benefit from going backwards to cartridges?  or harddrive based gaming instead of disc only or the current video game industry being disc and digital based?

Imagine haveing an entire console collection purchased on 1 or multiple SD, or mini SD cards or flash drives instread of having a collection of discs connected to a server you need to download online only?

and if the games were released one by one so the game companies could make the same amount of money minus the cost or a vary small SD or mini SD or flash drive?

The question is complicated but how would today's video game industry be if  all the games were released one by one or in packs on SD or Mini SD cards with the printed manuals like back in the old days guys?

I would actually buy a modern console if that were the case and games to go with it :)

This would be both cost effective and physical released with a hint of the old days

Their is the Nintendo Switch but does the Nintendo Switch come with all or most classic or modern console games with console or PC graphics?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 11:29:44 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: Do You Prefer Having Cartridges Or CD's/DVD/Blu For TV Console Video Games?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2022, 11:02:41 pm »
this was what I found how much factories pay for SD cards and a 4 or 5 GB SD card can probally hold  at least 1 original Xbox or PS2  re-release OR a whole lot of PS1 N64, SNES, NES re releases to get them back on the market for collectors again and the list goes on

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/670614

Jared Hunter
True cost of manufacturing SD cards?
Dec 21, 2003
Or any other flash cards? Somehow I get the feeling that the cost of manufacturing for memory cards has no bearing on the market price. Unlike cosmetics and sportswear I doubt makers have huge advertising costs to recoup. Other than perhaps licensing costs and middle-men, what makes up the price of a card which seemingly should cost less than a buck to make?

brianj •
Re: True cost of manufacturing SD cards?
In reply to Jared Hunter • Dec 21, 2003
It might be research. Early adopters always pay the price for what will later be supplied to millions at the cost of a packet of cornflakes.

Brian
« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 11:24:01 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

koemo1

PRO Supporter

Re: Do You Prefer Having Cartridges Or CD's/etc For TV Console Video Games?
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2022, 05:32:09 am »
I prefer optical media for my home consoles and cartridges for my handhelds :)
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

telekill

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2022, 08:17:38 am »
Honestly, I thought when I got my Switch that load times would be gone because it's a cartridge based system. I was wrong. There are still load times and some of them are long (looking at you Smash Bros boot up). Cartridges seem to lower load times, but it doesn't get rid of them.

PS5 on the other hand has very short load times, but that's due to the entire game being installed on the SSD and the disc becoming little more than a way of confirming you own the software in order to start it after the install.

When it comes down too it, I'm used to discs now.

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2022, 11:51:24 am »
I honestly don't have a preference, however I guess I'll say cartridges since they are more damage resistant and have consistently withstood he test of time better than CDs. Especially early CD based games which are now falling victim of disc rot on a pretty widespread basis. I pray this doesn't happen to games released more around the mid to late 90s which is when most of my disc based games were made.

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2022, 04:14:00 pm »
I honestly don't have a preference, however I guess I'll say cartridges since they are more damage resistant and have consistently withstood he test of time better than CDs. Especially early CD based games which are now falling victim of disc rot on a pretty widespread basis. I pray this doesn't happen to games released more around the mid to late 90s which is when most of my disc based games were made.

yes that is why I prefer Cartridges rather than CD's because of Disc Rot, technically a video game on an SD card would almost never rot anytime soon unlike a CD DVD or Bluray disc

What about SEGA CD and SEGA Saturn games? what if someone made then on an SD card and re-released them today, because as far as I know it's almost impossible to explore those old games due to price and rarity. the market is pretty much out of SEGA Dreamcast exclusives and SEGA Dreamcast consoles as far as I know to and SEGA Saturn Exclusives. And what about Philips CDI games?

And even though there is a ton more out their? what about PS1 PS2 and Xbox Original games and GameCube Exclusives?

And if we are talking modern video games they do have 64GB and higher SD cards on the market that probably cost the same to make as a 4-5GB SD card

The problem might be that video game companies would need to actually finish the game before releasing in which may require a larger group of testing staff, but that had no effect on video game companies in the old days other then maybe needing to pay more money on production costs due to having more people work on the game during development.

SD cards are like little tiny harddrives only they have to cost less to make in the factory it's just logical

NO APPS NEEDED

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2022, 07:36:10 pm »

yes that is why I prefer Cartridges rather than CD's because of Disc Rot, technically a video game on an SD card would almost never rot anytime soon unlike a CD DVD or Bluray disc

What about SEGA CD and SEGA Saturn games? what if someone made then on an SD card and re-released them today, because as far as I know it's almost impossible to explore those old games due to price and rarity. the market is pretty much out of SEGA Dreamcast exclusives and SEGA Dreamcast consoles as far as I know to and SEGA Saturn Exclusives. And what about Philips CDI games?

And even though there is a ton more out their? what about PS1 PS2 and Xbox Original games and GameCube Exclusives?

And if we are talking modern video games they do have 64GB and higher SD cards on the market that probably cost the same to make as a 4-5GB SD card

The problem might be that video game companies would need to actually finish the game before releasing in which may require a larger group of testing staff, but that had no effect on video game companies in the old days other then maybe needing to pay more money on production costs due to having more people work on the game during development.

SD cards are like little tiny harddrives only they have to cost less to make in the factory it's just logical

To my understanding Sega CD, 3DO, CDi, Amiga 32CD, and several other early 90s CD consoles are the most prone to disc rot due to the manufacturing process that was used to make them. And they do have a way of playiing some of these consoles off an SD card via flash carts and Optical Disk Emulators (ODE). Outside the hardcore collecting crowd, flash carts and ODEs are the way these older CD consoles are going to be preserved best.

Warmsignal

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2022, 11:48:55 pm »
I theorize that people just mistake how delicate some discs can be, and how damaged discs can continue to deteriorate. Perhaps some of the early ones are more prone to damage, rather than total self-destruction. Some games pressed to bluray disc, such as PS3/PS4 are fairly easy to ruin, if you scratch the label side and it chips away a bit of the reflective layer.

But hey, what are "backups" for anyway? You own the game? Burn a copy just in case.

telekill

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2022, 09:09:20 am »

To my understanding Sega CD, 3DO, CDi, Amiga 32CD, and several other early 90s CD consoles are the most prone to disc rot due to the manufacturing process that was used to make them. And they do have a way of playiing some of these consoles off an SD card via flash carts and Optical Disk Emulators (ODE). Outside the hardcore collecting crowd, flash carts and ODEs are the way these older CD consoles are going to be preserved best.

There is. I have a Retro Pi console that has Sega CD and PS1 games on it that play very well. All the games are stored on a micro SD card. So it's more than possible.