Author Topic: Updates Validation  (Read 2389 times)

Re: Updates Validation
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2018, 11:05:40 am »
An entry that gets converted to another (by changing barcode or artwork) is in error and should not be done except in some circumstances.

God of War III: https://vgcollect.com/item/15612
- chwarg created this entry with EAN 711719158066
- in the past 7 years, this item became a franken-entry as people added covers and item numbers that did not match.
- Item entry was corrected by removing the /P from item number, and putting the front and back art that matched the EAN on the entry, and added the TLD as required.

Now in the entire 7 years that the entry had been on the site as just "God of War" and at least 3 years of having the wrong front art, people have added it to their collection. Why did they do this when the EAN had been there the whole time? Did they not know to look at the EAN on the thing they had and see there was a problem with the entry or attempt to ask anyone about it or get it corrected?

As for this complaint that someone can come along and change an entry you made into something else, isn't the response here the correct one? Wouldn't the appropriate admin response be to revert the item to what it was intended to be if apparent? This is what we did with the God of War III entry, we undid the changes that had occured over time to change the entry into a different release.

As for the God of War III European English version, if it is not in the db currently, it can be added sans TLD. If there is a UK specific release already in the db sans TLD, it should have [UK] added so that there doesn't end up being more than 1 item in the same category with the same item title.

I think people added the game to their collection by the title itself, not because of the EAN. When I registered in this database, I had 500 games to add, I guess I spent 2 or 3 days adding all of them. That's what might happened to all other people: they simply wanted to add their huge list of games to their collection, they didn't care about the description or information in it - that's what I think.
Now, it all depends of what's more important: the EAN or the title. If that version was supposed to be, since the beginning, the german version, the title should have its TLD. If not, people will assume that's the standard english version of the game, they won't spend time checking the EAN of the game to confirm if it's correct.

I must be honest about this: I don't care if there is a EAN in each game I added, I don't have time or patience to look at every single game I added to my collection and check if that information is correct or not. With me, I believe there are plenty more other people. The day I started this topic, one user was creating games that already were in the database, without any cover, any information, wrong title scheme... If some people can't even do a simple search in the db, it's wrong to believe that other users will verify every information of their games.
A friend of mine has way less games then I do, she spends time copying the box text of each game she owns. In my case, if the game has the release date or EAN wrong, it doesn't affect me much. It's optional information there. That's why I wonder: if the EAN code is so important  (or more important then the title) shouldn't that section be obligatory when creating a new item? I mean, when you submit a new item, the only thing you can't edit on the second step is the title you previously inserted. Wouldn't be easier to make both descriptions obligatory when submitting a new item?

tripredacus

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2018, 01:35:47 pm »
Yes I know the answer as to why people have added the game like that to their collection. I did the same thing when I signed up. And most people don't care enough about the different EU versions of a game, even if they are in EU. Or people in Australia will buy EU games or vice versa (since they are both PAL) or people in US with Canadian versions, etc. That is why I said it doesn't matter if people add the wrong thing into their collection. What they add is up to them what they add and should not be pressured to be specific if they don't want to.

However, managing an accurate database is a separate situation and does not really relate to what a person adds to their collection. We have moved onto this point of having the different versions because enough collectors wanted to have options for regional releases and variations.

There are many changes that could be made to how the site works. It would be preferrable to have a submission queue as well as an edit queue. Barcode field requirement would not work across the board, so that is a no. It would only help in an overhaul and it wouldn't solve issues with games already existing. And even so, this complaint of the system does not match with the example given. Unless you actually mean a user has to put in the EAN of an item in order to add it to their collection. In that case, it would be a no also, because many people end up with a loose item and may not have any way to know what the EAN should be. Especially the case for a EU disc based game, for Sony generally would put the same exact disc in many different boxes. Or many instances of items that do not have a barcode, such as pack-in items and NFRs.

The idea of just being able to put into your collection a "game title" and then have the option of an advanced mode where you can put all the different releases under that title has occurred to us, and I can even design such a system. However, these are only ideas and ultimately we must work within the current framework of the site as it is today. And hope someday the devs will want to take up the task of expanding the functionality of the site to handle some of these other complex issues we run into. A way to make it simple for the casual, or verbose for the hardcore collector.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2018, 01:53:36 pm »
Just curious, but how many mods are really active?

tripredacus

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2018, 03:35:06 pm »
It is hard for me to say exactly, since I primarily work on the site on weekday mornings only, and not at night and not on weekends or holidays. So on a normal weekday morning, I will normally see Mastafalik on. I know that Deso and Soera are still here. So there are at least those four, perhaps there are more if they do not post into the forum.

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2018, 05:53:47 pm »
Yes I know the answer as to why people have added the game like that to their collection. I did the same thing when I signed up. And most people don't care enough about the different EU versions of a game, even if they are in EU. Or people in Australia will buy EU games or vice versa (since they are both PAL) or people in US with Canadian versions, etc. That is why I said it doesn't matter if people add the wrong thing into their collection. What they add is up to them what they add and should not be pressured to be specific if they don't want to.

However, managing an accurate database is a separate situation and does not really relate to what a person adds to their collection. We have moved onto this point of having the different versions because enough collectors wanted to have options for regional releases and variations.

There are many changes that could be made to how the site works. It would be preferrable to have a submission queue as well as an edit queue. Barcode field requirement would not work across the board, so that is a no. It would only help in an overhaul and it wouldn't solve issues with games already existing. And even so, this complaint of the system does not match with the example given. Unless you actually mean a user has to put in the EAN of an item in order to add it to their collection. In that case, it would be a no also, because many people end up with a loose item and may not have any way to know what the EAN should be. Especially the case for a EU disc based game, for Sony generally would put the same exact disc in many different boxes. Or many instances of items that do not have a barcode, such as pack-in items and NFRs.

The idea of just being able to put into your collection a "game title" and then have the option of an advanced mode where you can put all the different releases under that title has occurred to us, and I can even design such a system. However, these are only ideas and ultimately we must work within the current framework of the site as it is today. And hope someday the devs will want to take up the task of expanding the functionality of the site to handle some of these other complex issues we run into. A way to make it simple for the casual, or verbose for the hardcore collector.

Yep, I understand and I thought about it as well, it would be complicated to those that have a loose game or even digital content (like PSN or Steam). I also agree that you should have a submission queue, not that it has impact on me as user, but it would be easier for all of mods and devs.
But, yes, considering you can't touch the framework already created, some ideas might fall apart, at least for now.
I really thought that an item per edition should work better and each person could customize their profile and pictures the way they like the most. Other databases (more apps, actually) uses this system and it seems to be easier to control and are less complex to the user. Til the start of this topic, I didn't mind having a GOW III that it's not my version, but still the standard version of the game. Now, it seems that it's easier to submit a new item with the portuguese sticker and "problem solved".