Author Topic: PC Advice (Think I need a new Graphics Card)  (Read 1480 times)

PC Advice (Think I need a new Graphics Card)
« on: December 09, 2018, 11:30:03 am »
Hi,

I recently got a new PC, which I have jsut set up - I say new but it is a refurbished model with:
Processor - intel Core 15-3470 CPU @ 3.GHz
RAM: 8GB

But my Video Card is still the same as my old one:
AMD Radeon hd 5450
(Embarrassed to admit I thought this devices was just to use a HDMI port)

So I gather it is quite weak in the realm of gaming, I don't really game much on my PC anyway but I want a Video Card that can handle HD videos better too. I do want to run the Steam Version of Shenmue HD to its fullest capability if I were to upgrade so the minimum specs of that might be a refference point:

Minimum:
        Processor: Intel i3-560 / AMD FX-4300
        Memory: 4 GB RAM
        Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti (1GB Vram) / AMD Radeon 6990
        DirectX: Version 11
        Storage: 30 GB available space

Any advice would be appreciated, I'm in t he UK so if you have any purchase links keep that in mind
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 11:48:11 am by vivigamer »

jalien

Re: PC Advice (Think I need a new Graphics Card)
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 11:59:43 am »
Check out www.pcpartpicker.com they have everything you would need to know about what graphic cards are compatible and where to find it for the cheapest price for your region

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 11:19:05 pm »
@vivigamer

Keep in mind that whatever graphics or sound card you buy. On any computer, know that it needs to be able to actually fit into both your case, and your motherboard. AND it has to be able to accept the needed voltage from the internal power supply (in the case).

Bigger cards I had issues with them fitting into my computer because my motherboard is vary small.

Also your power supply can be another issue. If it don't output enough voltage needed, to give the video or sound card enough power in order to operate. I know all your asking is for advice on a graphics/video card but. I am just reminding you some issues I've had, and the fact I have just about the same specs as you on my own PC.

Sometimes like in my mom's case. She has no more empty slots on her motherboard to include anything except for one WIFI card and one video card.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 11:44:02 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 03:24:24 am »
Thanks for the replies.

This site gives more info on what my PC is lilke:
https://www.cnet.com/products/lenovo-thinkcentre-m92p-3227-core-i5-3550-3-3-ghz-monitor-none-series/

Do different companies make the same Video Card? I was recommended a Nvidia GTX 1050ti, but saw many different GTX 1050ti models.

retromangia

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 04:46:56 am »
Hello my fellow PC gamer, what is your budget for a video card?

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 05:26:01 am »
Ideally no more than £120

tripredacus

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 10:09:54 am »
OK so you have an SFF chassis, this will limit your video card options. You will need a card that is specifically designed for Low Profile or has a Low Profile adapter. While you can use a PCI-E 3.0 x16, your board is PCI-E 2.0 x16... electrical (I'm presuming) but it isn't always the case.

I usually recommend that you get one with a fan. Here is a link to Newegg options:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007709%20600038363%20600007855%20600007779

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 02:37:13 am »
Hmmm, so that means I won't be able to upgrade it substantially.... thinking about just returning the damn thing.