Author Topic: 3DO FZ-10 problems  (Read 14974 times)

3DO FZ-10 problems
« on: April 12, 2012, 04:37:28 pm »
I found a 3DO FZ-10 at a thrift store. I can't get it to read any disks. The laser will move and come on but the disk doesn't spin and the 3DO just sits at the memory management menu. Anyone know how to fix this or where I may be able to find some parts?

amauriel

Re: 3DO FZ-10 problems
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 04:49:33 pm »
I can't say specifically about the 3DO, but I know that some models of the CD-i had this little belt that allowed the disc drive to actually move into place that went bad all the time. Does it actually have a tray that ejects or do you just insert the disc?
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 05:01:54 pm »
It works like the Sega CD. Cheap plastic lid that comes up and you just drop the disk in. Here's a picture.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 05:04:32 pm by frisbe86 »

amauriel

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 05:54:07 pm »
See, mine is a Goldstar. Sorry, I can't help then.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

atariboy

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 06:27:56 pm »
Maybe clean laser with Q-tip and Windex, and check to see if there is a laser adjusment screw. One of my xbox's were doing the same thing and I adjusted the laser and it worked fine. Sometimes the laser doesn't see info on a disc so it assume there is no disk so it does not spin. Worked for the Xbox anyway. Hope this helps.
Now Playing: Lollipop Chainsaw

matt

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 08:35:05 pm »
Depending how adventurous you'd like to get I would imagine that you could replace the motor that spins the disc. Those things were pretty standard and I'm sure you could find a replacement.

ffxik

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 02:26:57 am »
Either a wire that connects the spindle motor has come loose or it needs to be replaced.

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 03:50:35 pm »
The same thing happened to my FZ10 and I ended up having to scrap it.

Check and make sure the spindle motor works by supplying it with low DC voltage. If it spins then its more than likely the laser gone bad. There are no drop in replacement laser assemblies for the 3DO.

The 3DO wont send the command to start the spindle motor until it can properly focus on the disc.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 03:54:34 pm by pceslayer »

ffxik

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 02:54:12 am »

Check and make sure the spindle motor works by supplying it with low DC voltage. If it spins then its more than likely the laser gone bad. There are no drop in replacement laser assemblies for the 3DO.

The 3DO wont send the command to start the spindle motor until it can properly focus on the disc.

Actually here is one a drop in replacement lens.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SF-92-5-4-11-PIN-Original-New-Sanyo-Laser-Lens-SF92-5-BMW-Mercedes-Panasonic-3DO-/120872471141?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c248f8a65

And yes my FZ 10 has the same one in it.

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 12:15:15 pm »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SF-92-5-4-11-PIN-Original-New-Sanyo-Laser-Lens-SF92-5-BMW-Mercedes-Panasonic-3DO-/120872471141?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c248f8a65

Son of a *****! where was this last year!?

I also found these :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H33O-vbXB2g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJr_Y6QrdGw

ffxik

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 03:01:56 am »

Son of a *****! where was this last year!?

I also found these :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H33O-vbXB2g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJr_Y6QrdGw

I know right.  I was looking for these when I first read this topic, I couldn't find anything.  Then out of the blue whammo right in the face.   :-\

ffxik

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 11:40:14 pm »

Ever since I found these I have been hunting for information just so we don't get our hopes up about a solution to the 3DO laser crisis.

I have some good news.  The laser assembly in both the FZ-1 and FZ-10 is the exact same assembly of this I am 100% certain.  Those and these are both Sanyo SF 92.5  Now for the bad news.  These replacement lasers I found won't work. :'( 
Reasons why,
1. Cable length.  The connector cables are too long and allow some rather bad interference.  That and the 4 pin end isn't right and will need modifying.
2. The side that connects opposite to the drives worm gear is measured at 3m, where as the originals are 3.5m

These can be made to work.  With some finesse with a soldering iron and drill.  You will need to de-solder the old four pin from the original 3DO laser.  Then CUT the 4 pin off the new one and solder the two together.  Because the attached the magnets to the 4 pins in the new ones and soldering them will ruin them.  Last but not least one of the cables has to be hard wired to a spot on the mother board.  Oh yeah, and drill out the runners to 3.5m.

Figured I would throw that out there before someone bought one to find out the hard way,  Unless you are sure of your skill with electronics that is.

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 09:47:07 am »
You can also grab a Creative CR-563 or Creative CR-563-B and pull the laser out.

They go for about $20 online if you can fine them.

It appears you need  the Sanyo SF-92.5 4/11 pins "dual short cable". The OEM SF-92.5 is close but not the same..
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 09:53:35 am by pceslayer »

ffxik

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 03:09:45 pm »
You can also grab a Creative CR-563 or Creative CR-563-B and pull the laser out.

They go for about $20 online if you can fine them.

It appears you need  the Sanyo SF-92.5 4/11 pins "dual short cable". The OEM SF-92.5 is close but not the same..

Pretty much.

ffxik

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 06:37:12 pm »
I have a question here actually.  Does anyone have a 3do that they know for sure does not work, and has a good drive gear in it.  I have a unit that the gear broke.  I have had the damnedest time trying to find another, or even a close match for that matter.   It's the plastic gear that sets at the end of the worm gear that moves the eye.  It split.

If not.  I have another Idea.  The FZ-1 and FZ-10 share the same guts as far as drive mechanics go.  Everything in the cradle is the same for both systems.  I have a gear that is wholly intact.  I was thinking of molding and casting off of the good gear to maybe make some replacements that I could sell.

I just learned the tricks to molding these things.  I realize this gear is under a lot of stress, they tend to break.  If anyone has a 3do that the pickup does not move, that more than likely is the problem.  Especially if the motor is functioning, which you can actually hear it.  Give me some time.  I'm going to see what I can do here.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 04:53:16 am by ffxik »