Author Topic: Have You Played Or Liked Any Hunting Genre Games?  (Read 1802 times)

Have You Played Or Liked Any Hunting Genre Games?
« on: December 18, 2018, 04:40:35 am »
To avoid confusion I am referring to the sport of hunting games usually animals

The best hunting themed video game in my opinion. actually used to be free online to get on PC it's called the "Carnivores" series. It is a dinosaur hunting games that is nothing like the Turok series is.

In Carnivores you actually hunt dinosaurs, and live game in a free roaming map worlds. You don't just shoot any dinosaur, instead you have to shoot the dinosaurs you chose to hunt to earn points. But you are allowed to kill whatever you want anyway, this game has no restrictions. But shooting the wrong dinosaur is a waste of time and ammo and that is not how you progress in this game.

You earn points by shooting the dinosaur or dinosaurs you chosen to kill. Or tranquilize at the beginning of each and every hunt. These points allow you to unlock more weapons, and dinosaur licences, as well as maps to hunt on. Also you can enable things like a dino radar to find dinosaurs instantly, and a stink spray to go undetected. Also you can choose to wear camouflage also, but using any of those will deduct the amount of point you earn in a hunt.

Last but not least you can die, and get eaten by a dinosaur including a T-rex, or Raptor or other kind of dangerous creature. And lets say you killed a dinosaur and after that you died, all the points you earned during that hunt will not count.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 04:42:54 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Agozer

Re: Have You Played Or Liked Any Hunting Genre Games?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 06:27:48 am »
I had one of the Carnivores games (Ice Age or somesuch) years ago, but I never really got into it. I remember that it looked interesting and I played it for some time, but I don't think I ever "finished" it.

Anyway, it seems that these days it's all about Monster Hunter. Proper "hunting games" (hunting actual animals than monsters or extinct ones) seems to have been relegated mostly to the bargain bin, and a good chunk of them can be be considered shovelware.

indenton

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 10:30:13 am »
Back in early July I was with my mate when he played Big Buck HD in a Amusement Arcade, he shot a couple deer... and a cow.  It was rather silly!

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 11:15:37 am »
I had one of the Carnivores games (Ice Age or somesuch) years ago, but I never really got into it. I remember that it looked interesting and I played it for some time, but I don't think I ever "finished" it.

Anyway, it seems that these days it's all about Monster Hunter. Proper "hunting games" (hunting actual animals than monsters or extinct ones) seems to have been relegated mostly to the bargain bin, and a good chunk of them can be be considered shovelware.

All the main actual hunting, Carnivores PC games have no end and no game over screen, and It does not matter how many times you get eaten or killed, it just keeps going, you can rack up thousands of points and unlock everything, and fill up your trophy room and delete older trophies, it's not even that easy to lose points, I've lost some points but not a enough to make the game frustrating. Carnivores Iceage is a lot of fun too in Iceage you fight Ice Age animals instead of Dinosaurs, the only Carnivores game I never got into because was not really a hunting video game  was called "Carnivores Cityscape" it was a Carnivores series spin off that I'm almost unsure anyone  liked and the critics  hated it. back when it came out. But I will admit Carnivores Cityscape was a game like no other and actually was a little radical, It was a first person shooter that was a little like Halo or Half-Life themed.

The story was cool, you could play a role as a human soldier, or a dinosaur, it was set in a city after a space ship caring captured dinosaurs crash lands on another human occupied planet. and you guessed it your in a vary detailed city level trying to survive. But I if was to pick any Carnivores game to be my favorite hunting game. It would be a Carnivores 2 Mod called Carnivores Reloaded. it was basically a remake of the original Carnivores hunting game.

Back in early July I was with my mate when he played Big Buck HD in a Amusement Arcade, he shot a couple deer... and a cow.  It was rather silly!

You should try Carnivores I recommend it for your PC collection :)

In case you do get it run the file using windows 98 compatibility to avoid an error message on any new windows OS
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 11:59:11 am by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 08:14:52 pm »
One PC game I played a lot back in the day was a dinosaur hunting game call Carnivores. It was really cool filling your trophy room with Dinosaurs you've hunted. Other than that no.

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 10:18:22 pm »
I loved Carnivores!  In fact I’ve been trying to remember the name of it for ages.  We played it all the time during the free period in the AV classroom.

aliensstudios

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 11:42:45 pm »
I enjoyed my time with Cabela's Big Game Hunter for Wii U.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 02:39:40 pm »

In case you do get it run the file using windows 98 compatibility to avoid an error message on any new windows OS

There is an HD remaster available on PS3 and a slightly different version called Carnivores: Dinosaur Hunter Reborn on Steam, in case you don't want to deal with those compatibility issues.

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2018, 04:23:52 pm »

There is an HD remaster available on PS3 and a slightly different version called Carnivores: Dinosaur Hunter Reborn on Steam, in case you don't want to deal with those compatibility issues.

Thanks @Cartagia :) I never knew that their even was a console release or a newer release game available on steam

I enjoyed my time with Cabela's Big Game Hunter for Wii U.

I got at least 2 Cabelas hunt series games but I never really got into them. the Cabelas game I tried to play was Dangerous Hunts, but it didn't seem at all like a hunting game. More like a first person shooter with a liner storyline where if you don't prevent this guy from dying you lose and need to replay this vary unfair scenario. At the start of the game. On PlayStation 2

You need to be able to kill all the wolves to save this guys life, but I encountered either a bug or some bad trigger design, when I killed all the wolves on screen, then I didn't know what to do, so after 5 minites of no enemies on screen, I move and the some more wolves re-spawned so fast I could not shoot them and they ran past me and killed this guy.  I just got pissed and quit.

I kinda hate defensive scenarios in video games where your enemy only focuses on your defensive objective and ignore you completely.

anyone else hate that in defensive missions in some games?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 04:32:26 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2018, 07:47:09 pm »

Thanks @Cartagia :) I never knew that their even was a console release or a newer release game available on steam

I didn’t know either until I went lookin.  I’m probably picking up the Steam one to relive some memories.