Author Topic: Xbox Hardware collector feedback wanted  (Read 1602 times)

tripredacus

Xbox Hardware collector feedback wanted
« on: December 18, 2018, 11:25:45 am »
I have started to better fill out the Hardware Style Guide section. I have already fixed the style guide for general use and for Sony specific consoles, however I think we need something specific for Microsoft consoles. The issue for me is that I do not own any of them. I do know that each console has a number on the bottom of the box near the barcode, but I am uncertain is this number is unique enough to use in an item title, such as the Sony item numbers.

The redone post is here, to get an idea.
https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,22.msg156.html#msg156

Also if anyone has any console specific ideas for other things besides Sony or Sega, feel free to put them here and we'll see what we can work with.

Re: Xbox Hardware collector feedback wanted
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 02:38:40 pm »
I have two original XBOX units, a Slim 360, an original XBOX One, an XBOX One S and an XBOX One X.  But do not have the boxes for the original XBOXs, only 360 and all three Ones.  Are you looking for this information exclusively on the boxes or on the units too?  I could check the labels on the consoles to see if there's something to use?  Just thinking out loud. 

*edit*
Perhaps we need more XBOX owners to post up theirs so we can determine what if anything is an information point we could use?

XBOX 360 Slim Arcade + Kinect 4GB Bundle
http://www.jce3000gt.com/public/games/IMG_7375b.JPG

XBOX One Gears of War Ultimate 500GB bundle
http://www.jce3000gt.com/public/games/IMG_7377b.JPG

XBOX One S Minecraft 1TB bundle
http://www.jce3000gt.com/public/games/IMG_7378b.JPG

XBOX One X PUBG 1TB bundle
http://www.jce3000gt.com/public/games/IMG_7379b.JPG
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 04:17:17 pm by jce3000gt »

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 07:23:35 pm »
I think you'd be better off using the type of DVD drive that was used in the original Xbox. Not sure what the #'s near the barcode are for, but I do remember the DVD drive being fairly important in terms of value and reliability.

iirc The Thompson drives were pretty trashy and Samsung drives were more sought after. Philips drives were average. I believe only one of these drives has a replacement belt for the tray in production as well but not sure which one. There is also a 4th and somewhat rare DVD drive from Hitachi that was used towards the end of production, looks similar to the Thompson but the opening is wider. No idea how reliable the Hitachi model is.

There were other hardware revisions(7 total) that changed other internal parts like the hard drive and video chip but I do not believe there was any specific model # that can be tied to those changes.

Might not be what you were looking for but as an Xbox collector, this is what I would use to determine different models of the base unit. Meaning I'd label them Xbox(Thompson Drive), Xbox(Phillips Drive), Xbox(Samsung Drive) or something similar.

www.gamelust.com Looking for help with data entry and creating content(news/reviews).

tripredacus

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 10:06:36 am »
This is specifically about the boxes the consoles come in. Which number on the bottom is the one that corresponds with the console pack, rather than the console inside?

We cannot use the DVD drive manufacturer because this cannot be determined from a sealed or unpowered example. This is the same reason why we do not put VA numbers for Sega Genesis consoles. This information can be put into the description field if it is known for each package contents. As far as I'm aware, while there is a good reference for which VA# is for each console, what isn't known is which come in which packs.

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 04:14:12 pm »
This is specifically about the boxes the consoles come in. Which number on the bottom is the one that corresponds with the console pack, rather than the console inside?

Perhaps everyone should post up their labels and identify which bundle it is?  I’ll update mine in my post. 

*edit*
Oh and I’m assuming you’re asking about all XBOX generations here?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 04:18:40 pm by jce3000gt »

retromangia

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 04:24:34 am »
I also second xsuicidesn0wmanx's Drive recommendation. If I stumble across an XBOX in the wild, the 2 things I always check for is MFG date, and Drive model.

xsuicidesn0wmanx do you have any more info on the different drives? I'd love to know, thanks!

tripredacus

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 10:07:53 am »
Can you tell what kind of drive is in the system by looking at the box?

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 01:58:26 pm »
Can you tell what kind of drive is in the system by looking at the box?

No.

tripredacus

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 11:08:53 am »
If we can determine which type of Xbox is inside of a box, from the box, and then we can tell which type of ODD is in the Xbox from the console by looking at its info plate, then this type of information can certainly be put into the description field.

I need to know, from people who have multiple different Xbox (original, 360, one) boxed consoles, if there is a number on the box that differentiates between them. Those who only have 1 for each console, or only have loose consoles will not be able to answer this question... BUT those that do have a boxed console would be able to provide in this thread a picture of where item numbers appear on the box, and then perhaps we can kludge something together with enough examples.

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 01:29:07 pm »
I need to know, from people who have multiple different Xbox (original, 360, one) boxed consoles, if there is a number on the box that differentiates between them. Those who only have 1 for each console, or only have loose consoles will not be able to answer this question... BUT those that do have a boxed console would be able to provide in this thread a picture of where item numbers appear on the box, and then perhaps we can kludge something together with enough examples.

I agree.  I posted mine so hopefully others will post theirs and we can compare.  :)