Author Topic: Best Sonic Game  (Read 3739 times)

Best Sonic Game
« on: December 19, 2018, 01:37:40 am »
What is the best Sonic game of all time?

Re: Best Sonic Game
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 01:46:24 am »
The one I like the most, being that I don't really enjoy the old Sonic setup anymore, is Sonic Generations.  It's good 3D, which is rare, and it's good 2D, even if it's not sprite art.  There aren't really any other Sonic games I like.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 02:25:55 am »
The first one. Follow up games are too busy, too fast, and mostly troll you.

Sonic Mania is pretty good but still suffers from much of the above in my oppinion.

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 02:54:40 am »
The first one. Follow up games are too busy, too fast, and mostly troll you.

Sonic Mania is pretty good but still suffers from much of the above in my oppinion.

Never really played the first one, but that is why I don't like Mania and the ones from Sega CD and earlier.  They are all too fast to react, it's more trial and error than actually navigating a level, and they just don't end up being fun.  I love their style and music, but most of the game is just running till you hit something.  It's why I prefer 2D in Generations if I have to do it, because I think it's a little slower and the camera is pulled back so you have a better chance to react.

azure

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 03:50:43 am »
Sonic Adventure 2 is my personal favorite.

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 04:56:36 am »
"The first one. Follow up games are too busy, too fast,"

Isn't that the point of a sonic game.

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 05:23:30 am »
For me it has always been Sonic 2. The level design is just fantastic, I've been playing Sonic Rush on the DS recently and the amount of times I die through a pit fall is just unbearable. Sonic 2 offers a brilliant sense of speed that I can navigate with confidence - That isn't necessarily saying it is easy... it does offer a decent challenge but I find it is a game I enjoy to play more casually. There are a few things I dislike, the biggest being the bonus stages as they're really difficult - I much prefer Sonic 3's with the intensity of how fast it gets.

I think considering the difference between 2D Sonic & 3D Sonic, it is worth mention the latter too. For me it is Sonic Adventure 1... & I KNOW it is far from a perfect game :P But I always really enjoyed the games structure, the open world segments felt fun and really gave a great presence to the world. Sonic Unleashed had these too of course but I guess I found all the sidequests with the people tedious. I also enjoyed the majority of the story and playing as other characters (Discounting BIG). Its a game I really had fun 100% completing, I got all the emblems and everything. The 2nd game just had all sorts of short comings which got in the way for me - Knuckles/Rogue Stages having the indicator locked making you have to find the treasure in order or Just how clunky the Tankbot felt in Tails/Robotnik missions.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 05:30:14 am by vivigamer »

tripredacus

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 10:09:58 am »
Sonic 2 is the game for me. That or Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine.

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 10:41:23 am »
Sonic 3: excellent, memorable stages; OST done by Michael Jackson, and the ability to play as multiple characters. On a personal note I have the most nostalgia for this one, followed by Sonic Adventure most likely.

I am meaning to replay Sonic Mania soon since I've seriously considered putting that on top given how good it was.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 12:46:47 pm »
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 + Knuckles.

That is the biggest epic of the classic Sonic games, and without a doubt the classic Sonic games are the best.

Sonic 3 + Knuckles is the way Sonic 3 was meant to be played. Story goes that it was originally supposed to be one game. But Sega insisted it go out by the release date before the holidays, and as a result, developers were forced to split it up into 2 games. When locked together with the Knuckles cartridge, the entire games plays out as originally intended.

Agozer

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2018, 02:02:08 pm »
I've never been a huge Sonic fan (I never owned a MegaDrive/Genesis for starters), but Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 + Knuckles are really good. For the mor emofern Sonic, I've heard that Generations is pretty cool.

hexen

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2018, 04:05:31 pm »
Gotta go with Sonic 2. I know there is a case to be made for Sonic 3 just being a better Sonic 2, but be in nostalgia (I only actually went through a full Sonic 3 & Knuckles a couple years back, whereas Sonic 2 was one of the first games I ever played extensively) or whatever, I prefer Sonic 2's level design and simpler mechanics.

It helps that Sonic 2 has one of the most perfect soundtracks of all time.
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

aliensstudios

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2018, 06:08:43 pm »
Sonic 3 & Knuckles hands down. Mania is great and Sonic Advance is pretty good too. Also, I've alway personally had a soft spot for 3D Blast as well.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

shadowzero

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2018, 07:40:09 pm »
I still get pumped up thinking about "Sonic Tuesday."  Couple that with the fact that Sonic 2 is my go to sonic game I'm going with that one.  Sonic CD is a very close second.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2018, 09:41:38 pm »
Sonic 3 & Knuckles hands down. Mania is great and Sonic Advance is pretty good too. Also, I've alway personally had a soft spot for 3D Blast as well.

I like 3D Blast, too. I think you are the only other person I've ever heard say something positive about it.