Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 8454 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2014, 04:13:22 pm »
If it's already been said ==>

==> (it can't be said enough/Too much)...

Digital-Only game releases  >:(

Digital only releases may suck, but at least it's marginally better than not getting a release at all... sorta.  ??? Except for when it costs just as much as it should for a physical copy of the game.  >:(

Yeah, maybe it wouldn't bother me as much if the "in theory" part of it (the part that digital-only releases should be passing-on the savings to the customers as the manufacturers are *obviously* saving costs by not issuing physical releases) carried-over into the "in practice/reality" part (where, I've seen newly-released digital titles selling for as much as (sometimes even *more* than) than the physical versions  >:(

I mean, I'm all about choice ==> if it was up to me, every game would get both a physical & a digital release...so...for those who don't mind spending (a hypothetical) $10 - $20 extra to own it physically are happy - as well are those who just want to play the game being able to do so at a bit of a savings  :o
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 04:14:59 pm by disgaeniac »
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

abe

« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2014, 05:04:34 pm »

Digital only releases may suck, but at least it's marginally better than not getting a release at all... sorta.  ??? Except for when it costs just as much as it should for a physical copy of the game.  >:(

Yeah, maybe it wouldn't bother me as much if the "in theory" part of it (the part that digital-only releases should be passing-on the savings to the customers as the manufacturers are *obviously* saving costs by not issuing physical releases) carried-over into the "in practice/reality" part (where, I've seen newly-released digital titles selling for as much as (sometimes even *more* than) than the physical versions  >:(

I mean, I'm all about choice ==> if it was up to me, every game would get both a physical & a digital release...so...for those who don't mind spending (a hypothetical) $10 - $20 extra to own it physically are happy - as well are those who just want to play the game being able to do so at a bit of a savings  :o

Absolutely, I agree completely. I think that Steam handles digital releases relatively well, with some exceptions of course. Frequent sales, discounts, etc. Though their launch prices for many games are just as high as what it would cost for a physical copy (if of course it's actually available physically), which I don't agree with. In my opinion Nintendo handles digital releases fairly poorly, with Sony being a bit better, but not by much.
Except from a collector's standpoint, screw digital-only releases. Especially when some regions get them and others don't, like with Senran Kagura Burst last year. Digital only for NA but a physical release for Europe?  :'( That reminds me of another pet peeve, region locking on consoles and handhelds.  :(
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

amauriel

« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2014, 07:38:49 am »
Region locking on handhelds would probably be my number one pet peeve in gaming. I speak a little Japanese (although it's rusty since I haven't used it much in the last few years) and I imported games from Japan on the DS pretty often, especially rhythm games, since I knew enough to navigate menus but didn't have to read walls of text quickly. I have all the games in the Daigasso! Band Bros. series, even the European Jam With the Band. The game is excellent but never released to the U.S. for some reason. It's been killing me to see the new one come out for 3DS and know that I'd have to buy a Japanese 3DS to think about playing it. European games might be even worse, because they are often in English. I want Layton vs. Ace Attorney so badly, but we still don't have a concrete release date here. I would have been playing it already if I could import European games and have them work on my 3DS.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

soera

« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2014, 08:18:32 am »
I hadnt really posted here til now ... but once someone mentioned region locking, I realized thats probably my addition to this thread. It just honestly makes no sense to me. That and games not getting translated. There is no reason for any game to not get an English translation.

scott

« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2014, 08:41:23 am »
1. QTEs
2. Unskippable Cutscenes, after I've already seen them once.
3. Multiplayer only achievements/trophies
4. Shoddy DLC, or DLC released within a month of release (Which should have been on disc in the first place)
5. Region Locking
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

spac316

« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2014, 11:30:39 pm »

Yeah, I prefer physical games as well. Which is why I fear for the future where hard copies are a thing of the past(same could be said for music and movies). It's convenient and won't take space in your rooms but overall, I much rather hold things in my hands and place them on my shelf to admire after playing though them enough.

htimreimer

« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2014, 06:53:36 pm »

Yeah, I prefer physical games as well. Which is why I fear for the future where hard copies are a thing of the past(same could be said for music and movies). It's convenient and won't take space in your rooms but overall, I much rather hold things in my hands and place them on my shelf to admire after playing though them enough.
thats why i love nintendo, they are not letting go physical releases anytime soon and in fact, if you buy the physical release of bayonetta 2, you will get a port of the first bayonetta game for free
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 06:55:35 pm by htimreimer »

Warmsignal

« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2014, 09:25:25 pm »
I have no problem w/ someone asking a fair price for their games.  But if I'm standing face-to-face in front of you, that price is NOT what it sells for on ebay because:

1) You're not forking over 10% to ebay (plus another 3% to Paypal)

2) You're not paying to ship it to me

3) You're taking zero risk by selling it to me, which you would be taking if you sold it on ebay

So if they ask a little less than ebay, that's fine.  But they should also probably know how much they want for it before someone comes up to buy it, so it's still bad form to start checking value at the time of the sale.

Yeah, there's a game store here, where they basically check the value of any game when you go to buy it. Never mind that they priced it with a sticker, if the price has changed, you're paying what it changed to, whether it went up or down. That sucks. Even GameStop has honored a wrongly marked price tag in my favor before. Go to an indie shop, and that's probably not gonna happen. Every single one that I've been to this year checks the latest value right in front of you before charging you.

« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2014, 11:25:01 pm »
the existence of DLC

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2014, 12:22:00 pm »
the existence of DLC

That in itself isn't bad, when done right. Look at Shimmering Isles for Oblivion. That was well worth the DLC price for an entirely new continent and storyline.

It's bad when they nickel & dime you. Like for example, in the same game, charging for horse armor as an add-on. Or charging for content that's already on the freaking disc!

ffxik

« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2014, 04:52:33 am »
The usual,

Region locking
Capcom's idea of DLC
Digital only releases
Online trophies/achievements
Games sold as a single player game that focuses entirely on online multiplayer

Collectors editions, Rant alert!
Seriously if ever there should be a name for the seventh gen it should be the era of the limited/collectors editions.  I remember when a collectors edition meant something.  Now every new I.P. or sequel to a standing one, that they pinch out has to have 1-5 limited editions, for what?  Seriously what is the point.  I mean some companies get it right, by releasing some LE's that are well worth it.  I remember when they used to catch your eye.  Perusing the games shops of yore, you knew you had something special when you picked up that Working Designs title.  Now days it's just Sepia Set Piece Hallway Shooter DCLXVI Limited Collectors box o' junk.

The bad thing is it's not going to end anytime soon, either.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 05:01:11 am by ffxik »

« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2020, 09:16:26 pm »
TOPIC FROM 2014

BUMPED TO: 12-1-2020

One of my own gaming pet peeves is like first person shooters with complicated puzzle solving, Or games that you need fast reflexes on the easiest setting, or racing games where if you make one mistake it can cost you the entire race. the game  "Test Drive 4" for the PlayStation 1 is like that. I hate games that have a strict timer, that when the timer runs out you lose the game or need to do the entire stage or level over again. I hate when I'm losing a game due to broken or unresponsive controls or the fact that I try 30 times on the same section of a game and still was not fast or precise enough,

Or when a game back you into a corner and keep respawning or swarming enemies all around you faster than your in-game person can move to reload or something. Halo Combat Evolved or Doom 3  BFG edition are like this scenario
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2020, 09:08:12 am »
Holy necrothread, Batman!
 8)

My number one pet peeve is
RUBBERBANDING.
This is the reason I don’t like most racing games in general. Games like Out Run are fine, because your success is mostly based on your skill. But racing games where you can run a flawless race, yet make one minor mistake at the end that bumps you down to 4th place...that’s frustrating.

Other pet peeves:
- Multiplayer achievements
- On-disc DLC (DLC can be fine when done properly; Horizon Zero Dawn’s Frozen Wilds expansion is incredible, and maybe better than the main game for me. But locking out portions of the main game to make players pay extra for the whole experience...that’s just plain greed).
- In fighting games, cheap input-reading AI that breaks the game’s own rules (I understand the need to challenge players, but it can be done without Guile insta-charging Flash Kicks and Sonic Booms).
- Tacked-on multiplayer in a single-player game (seriously, just use that time to make the single player experience better).