Author Topic: How Much Do You Value Physical Video Game Compilations?  (Read 1966 times)

How Much Do You Value Physical Video Game Compilations?
« on: December 29, 2018, 11:17:08 am »
I personally treasure compilations even though they are a form of emulation in most cases. I'd rather buy one game, with a bunch of other games included given they run well on their dedicated version emulator. the 6th generation consoles had a ton of these especially for the PlayStation 2, How do you guys value compilations? If I had to get rid of any of my collection  the physical compilations would be the last ones to leave my possession. How do you guys value these kinds of Discs or even cartridges for that matter

A list of PlayStation 2 Compilations

1: Midway Arcade Treasures Volume 1
2: Midway Arcade Treasures Volume 2
3: Midway Arcade Treasures Volume 3
4: Taito Legends 1
5: Taito Legends 2
6: Megaman Anniversary Collection
7: Megaman X Collection
8: Sonic Mega Collection
9: Activision Anthology
10: Atari Anthology Collection
11: SNK Arcade Classics Volume 1
12: Capcom Classics Collection Volume 1
13: Capcom Classics Collection Volume 2
14: Namco Museum 50th Anniversary
15: Intellivision Lives
16: Sega Genesis Collection

These is more I think but those are for the PlayStation 2
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

empovyle

Re: How Much Do You Value Physical Video Game Compilations?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 11:28:44 am »
I personally love the compilation games that have extra effort put into them. For example, the first 5 Namco Museum games on PS1. They all feature these elaborate museums displaying game history, sprites, music, motherboards, and other random goodies. You can walk around them just like a real museum -- it's quite a comfy experience. I found most other compliation games a bit boring, to be honest, especially if you've already played most of the games included on them once or twice before... though they absolutely are a great value most of the time.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 11:32:13 am by empovyle »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 12:09:29 pm »
Love them. Own a large number of them dating back to the SNES even (Super Mario All-Stars).

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 06:44:33 pm »
I love compilation and wish that publishers would release more of them. I think it's cool to own the dedicated single release of games, but in regards to compilations that have a lot of old arcade games on them, these are by far the best and most practical option.

ferraroso

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 09:33:13 pm »
I'm in love with compilations too. Most of what I buy for consoles of the current generation are remasters and compilations of the previous ones. They use to be cheaper than the newer releases, contain games with attested quality and are not cursed by the devils that, for me, are DLCs, patches and loot boxes.
I'm looking forward so much for the Phoenix Wright (Gyakuten Saiban) trilogy that is going to be released for the PS4 next February...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW6RfwjnJgI

And, if I may, I'd urge for anyone who likes compilations to buy this game:

Kunio-kun the World Classics Collection!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kbFABrMBaQ

It contains all the 18 games of the 8-bit generation of the Kunio-kun, River City Ramson and Double Dragon series and are a MUST OWN for anyone who likes these games or compilations in general.

gf78

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 10:44:42 pm »
I love compilations, especially ones that give you the royal treatment. For example, Super Mario All-Stars for the Wii. The embossed box, soundtrack, history of Mario book...it all combined for an irresistible package for me.

If Nintendo started releasing compilations for Switch, I'd be all over it like stink on poop!
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

soera

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 11:00:59 pm »
There are a few compilations that should exist.

Dragon quest I - IX
Legend of Zelda : The cartridge collection
Phantasy star I - IV (Not II - IV and having to unlock the first game ... wtf kind of stupid ass mechanic is that?)
Mortal Kombat : The real Kollection (all the games from start to last gen in one set)
Ys: Books I - VII

These are what I need in my house asap!

kypherion

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2018, 12:05:17 am »
Pretty cool ideas. I've got Midway Arcade Treasures 3. Definitely hoping to get the Zelda Collector's edition on the gamecube.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

sworddude

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2018, 07:08:32 am »
i really like the capcom and snk compilations since aside from eshop purchases downloads or mame emulation allot of those arcade games are pretty hard to play otherwise. Arcade compilations  are the ones that I will value the most.

As far as other compilations go I value them less since in general they are available and not that hard to get with some exceptions such as megaman wich I would still value less since I am not the biggest megaman fan if I'm honest. and for example the castlevania GBA twin pack It's just an inferior version with an ugly box not to mention that it isn't a cheap game to get anyways.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 07:14:44 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

aliensstudios

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2018, 12:24:20 pm »
I enjoy them massively. I've been playing the Street Fighter 30th anniversary pack for a while and have had a lot of fun. I also really love Namco Museum for GameCube what with all of the arrangement versions of Namco games that I played on an arcade cabinet at BW3s in the early 2000s. I try to stick to compilations of arcade titles as I like owning console games separately if I can but with series like Mega Man being ridiculously expensive to get all of the games, a compilation with good scaling and emulation often does the trick.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

pzeke

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2019, 10:01:59 am »
They’re the best thing ever! Metal Slug Anthology, Taito Legends 2, Capcom Classic Collection Vol. 1 and 2, and SNK Arcade Classics, as well as Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection are quite possibly some of the best.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2020, 07:59:39 am »
Thread Revival

Digital VS. Physically released Compilations

Limited Space Debate
Would you rather buy a video game compilation with a bunch of games on it? or would you much prefer to buy one video game individually?

Personally when it comes to  personal space I rather buy a physical compilation than buy a digital game period. what are some more of your thoughts? Would you rather the future be All Digital or are you like me and prefer the future to be with.  compilations or multi cartridges for consoles gameplay, or would you still want to buy a whole bunch of digital games. or a Digital Complication instead?

By the looks of the video game industry today I don't think it's gonna be both Digital and Physical copies at the same time, but what do you think will happen?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 08:01:52 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2020, 10:03:11 pm »
I don't imagine many digital compilations coming out, if only becuase I imagine most companies would release the games ala carte to get more sales. I prefer the physical take- I've found some very cool games becuase they were on a compilation I bought for another reason (Bosconian comes to mind.) I wouldn't discover these games if they weren't sold as a package deal.

pzeke

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2020, 04:21:14 am »
I wouldn't discover these games if they weren't sold as a package deal.

Emulation will broaden your horizons.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2020, 12:47:18 pm »
I wouldn't discover these games if they weren't sold as a package deal.

Emulation will broaden your horizons.

There's alot of under the radar games that never see the light of day and emulation opens up the possibility of people discovering them