Author Topic: Do Prefer Video Games That Have An End? Or Keep Going?  (Read 1838 times)

Do Prefer Video Games That Have An End? Or Keep Going?
« on: December 29, 2018, 04:04:34 pm »
Games that don't have an end are not as common or liked I think.

To answer my own question. I happen to enjoy video games that keep going and have no end more currently in my life. Those mainly include Simulation games. Some may say the Gran Turismo Series on the SONY PlayStation consoles. Or perhaps games like the "Simcity series", or "The Sims series" on PC, or "Roller Coaster Tycoon 2", where the game is more sandbox style and you can build your own scenarios in the game itself. to extend it's life. Or like I said in another thread the "Carnivores" series on PC minus Carnivores Cityscape

Or perhaps old school like "Excite Bike" for the NES?

Most video games that have an end are usually the ones that are more intense action. Or include a final scenario or boss level, in which I think it's meant most of you hard core gamers. I don't like much challenge in video games and most games usually thrown in a boss fight. and worst of all sometimes, in some video games if you lose the boss fight you lose the game and need to start over from the beginning (unless the game was fun). But I am afraid to play a lot of games in fear of getting pissed off. I usually get pissed on timed stages that don't give you enough time to finish the level.

Has anyone ever made it to the boss stage on any Mario game and then lost and had to start over from the beginning? I never made it that far, but I don't think I would like to beat the whole thing over and lose again. Unless video games didn't actually make me sick
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 04:12:49 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

shfan

Re: Do Prefer Video Games That Have An End? Or Keep Going?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 06:06:07 pm »
Rather than sandbox/open world/sim games, I prefer games which have a final boss but then have post-game content, either through simply continuing the game or restarting with NG+. Metal Max Xeno, for instance, has NG+, but in addition to going through the game already powered up new bosses appear in the game to beat. Dragon Quest Builders has a free mode but beating the main game unlocks more content for it.

I don't really play the old fashioned games which game over, I don't have the time or patience to keep repeating the experience just to reach a point I was previously stuck at to be given another game over, it was fine when I was 12, not so much now.

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 06:09:33 pm »
I generally prefer games I can continue playing for long lengths of time usually, such as Monster Hunter World that I have over 200 hours in.  That said, I also enjoy games with definitive ends as they usually offer a better directed experience with a good story or set pieces.

pizzasafari

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 08:02:35 pm »
I prefer games to have an end, though I don't mind if they let you carry on exploring or whatnot after the 'end', even if non-canonically. I like story-driven games best and I need my stories to have a satisfying conclusion or they feel like a waste of time.

kypherion

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 08:29:09 pm »
Games that keep the gameplay going in some way. Whether it be Newgame+ or a different character mode *cough* CASTLEVANIA *cough*. This is great especially if I like the game because I can continue to enjoy it as long as possible.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 08:46:56 pm »
I prefer games to have an end, though I don't mind if they let you carry on exploring or whatnot after the 'end', even if non-canonically. I like story-driven games best and I need my stories to have a satisfying conclusion or they feel like a waste of time.

This.

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 08:58:15 pm »
I sorta like having a definitive ending because it sorta represents a "break" with the game for me? Like..after that I can put the game in the background  and pick away at the slightly less exciting but still fun endgame content whenever I'm bored or just get an itch for that specific game. Having that bar to reach sort of helps make me have healthy expectations for the rest of the game; I definitively know I've exhausted the core content,  and slightly more busy-work esque content is what I'll expect.

To contrast, while I do love many truly sandbox games, I often feel immensely disappointed whenever I've exhausted all of the content. It doesn't feel triumphant to reach that point, it just feels like what I found exciting about the game has abruptly dried up and I have nothing to show for it.

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 09:31:18 pm »
Both.  Depends on the game.  I do think a game like Borderlands 2 did it right by having a little of both. 

indenton

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2018, 10:28:06 pm »
I find myself usually gravitating towards single player games.  But over the past year or so I've clocked up some mileage with Puyo Puyo Tetris. It's one of just a handful of games I've been able to happily play multiplayer with family and friends.  It's those games that have the extensive multiplayer and party mode features that make these games highly desirable in certain scenarios for me.  Super Mario Party has been a strong contender in that department over the past month. 

shadowzero

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2018, 11:53:11 am »
I too prefer an ending with an option to keep going.  I remember playing games in the arcade and sometimes feeling taken advantage of knowing all to well that I was willingly feeding my quarters into the machine.  I was thinking about this not long ago while playing Dr. Mario.  Once you beat level 23 it just repeats....forever.  It makes me wonder about that fellow who claims to have beaten every NES game and what his criteria was for games like this.

wolfen

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2018, 02:32:52 pm »
Basically what Cirno said. I really only play story based single player games, so I love having a concise ending(excluding open ends for sequels) to this long story that I invested so much time into. I don't mind afterstory content as long as it doesn't include things that would have been important to the story. Never ending games do not give me the beginning, middle, and end that keep me invested in games so I generally don't play them.

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2018, 10:38:44 am »
I prefer games with endings for a simple reason- it gives me a clear place to STOP so I can play something else. If I get good & properly into a game, I can hit a point where I quit playing other things and just pile on to my backlog like crazy. Case in point:

I generally prefer games I can continue playing for long lengths of time usually, such as Monster Hunter World that I have over 200 hours in.

My fiancé got me into MHW too, and wanted to keep playing the post-story missions (the point where I would have normally stopped, despite their being more content.) End result? I'm over 350 hours in & praying I can finish farming crowns for the platinum soon or I'll spend most of 2019 on this game too!

Meanwhile, I haven't properly started God of War, Detroit: Become Human, The Witcher 3 (probably shouldn't have bought that one), Bendy & The Ink Machine, Super Smash Bros, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, Monster Hunter Worlds, Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir, Raiden V, or Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+. That's just the Christmas season pickups, that doesn't count unfinished titles from earlier like Horizon Zero Dawn &... well, damn near most of my stuff really.

And my friends wonder why I won't play Minecraft!

gf78

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2018, 10:50:05 am »
My preference is single player games with a definitive ending. If there is stuff you can do optionally after the credits roll, I'm ok with that and dont feel like I MUST keep playing.

Some good examples for me personally would be Skyrim, Witcher III and Legend of Zelda- Breath of the Wild. All games I completed and have revisited. The Witcher III probably more than any other game. Decorating my house, doing quests found on bulletin boards, etc. Zelda may actually top Witcher as I frequently revisit it working on the expansion while taking a break from Super Smash Bros Ultimate.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2019, 02:21:31 pm »
Slightly off topic but I certainly prefer franchises that actually end with a satisfying conclusion rather than get sequel after sequel, or get endlessly remade.
—Currently Playing—
Ace Attorney 4-5-6 (NS)
Raiden IV x Mikado (NS)

sworddude

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2019, 03:24:31 pm »
Really depends on the game but I will admit that I do like a nice ending for allot of single player games. End game content can also be good but It's most definitely not a must or even good for every game.

Obviously the majority of multiplayer games do not need an ending or ofcourse online games.

I will also agree with bunnybear that enough is enough. the fire emblem franchise is in my opinion a great example, after the wii version it should have just be done. It's really nice that the series got popular but the waifu system and added game mechanics anime art style just chanced the series allot of what it used to be. from awakening onwards.

In the older FE games your resourses where limited and being OP on the harder modes was never really there it could be done with arena abuse wich was fun but very time consuming. And character development or character traits and the story in general even though it had way less text it was in my opinion allot more interesting and fun than the newer games in the series.

For me the feeling of almost having nothing, getting strong weapons getting certain character stats or a class upgrade felt allot more rewarding and special in the older games since very little was given. The art style and story, charaters are my 2nd most important complaints.

The new fire emblem games aren't bad but they are in my opinion just different kinds of games of what it used to be. I understand the decisions made since apparently many people really like the chances that have been made It's just how the cookie crumbles I guess.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 03:49:32 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!