Author Topic: Ys Books I & II Question  (Read 747 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Ys Books I & II Question
« on: December 31, 2018, 04:05:59 pm »
So I've been pretty hit or miss with Ys games. I remember playing the original way back on the TurboGrafx-16...and I hated the bump system. I also played Ys III on SNES, and hated how the game felt like it was in fast-forward constantly.

But then I played more recent entries (Ark of Nasptism and Oath in Felghana), and I LOVED THEM. I also ordered Ys Seven as a result.

So now I'm looking at Ys: Books I & II for either PSP or DS. I hear that the PSP version has the dreaded bump-system from the original that I hate. But that the DS version uses a real attack button. Awesome, so I'm gonna get the DS version, I think. But then a buddy tells me that the DS port is just a steaming, buggy, pile of garbage...

What do you guys think? How is the DS version? Is it that bad?

soera

Re: Ys Books I & II Question
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 08:29:43 pm »
The DS version did not sit right with me. Having the 2 screens was weird but it also made the way you actually moved around in the game very unsettling. I havent played the PSP version but I actually enjoyed the bump system and found it to be interesting and kind of a strategy thing on where you hit the creature.

Also play VIII. Its still my #1 game of all time!

Re: Ys Books I & II Question
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 09:32:59 pm »
So I've been pretty hit or miss with Ys games. I remember playing the original way back on the TurboGrafx-16...and I hated the bump system. I also played Ys III on SNES, and hated how the game felt like it was in fast-forward constantly.

But then I played more recent entries (Ark of Nasptism and Oath in Felghana), and I LOVED THEM. I also ordered Ys Seven as a result.

So now I'm looking at Ys: Books I & II for either PSP or DS. I hear that the PSP version has the dreaded bump-system from the original that I hate. But that the DS version uses a real attack button. Awesome, so I'm gonna get the DS version, I think. But then a buddy tells me that the DS port is just a steaming, buggy, pile of garbage...

What do you guys think? How is the DS version? Is it that bad?

I loved the DS release, especially the pleasant music.  I never encountered any bugs either.  My advice is to get a cart only for cheap, try it out and if you like it then buy the CIB (if that's your thing).  As always you are your best critic so like I tell everyone I talk to when they ask about a game recommendation is just try it out for yourself.  The next best thing is to watch no commentary game play videos on youtube and avoid reading the comments / drivel.