Author Topic: In your opinion whats the best system to collect for and why  (Read 3070 times)

afroyoshi

PRO Supporter

Re: In your opinion whats the best system to collect for and why
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2019, 08:29:47 pm »
I honestly have the most fun collecting ps2 games. That console has possibly the best library of games out of any consoles. I've also been getting into collecting DS and Wii games lately.

soera

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2019, 08:58:57 pm »
The PS4 is by far and away the greatest console ever. The absolute amount of amazing games on this console is just mind blowing. Add to the fact that its still not done and some of its highest rated and most wanted games have yet to be released yet just ensures the fact that collecting for it will give you the best bang for your buck bar none.

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2019, 12:05:43 am »
I'd say the best system to collect for is whichever one(s) you grew up with, as those systems have nostalgia bonded with them, making games either great trips down memory lane or fulfilling childhood desires to play a game you never were able to get or finish.

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2019, 01:15:40 am »
Yes I agree the ps2 has a lot of cheap games but I listed that system higher in my list because it does have a lot of pricey titles also.In my area games like Kuon,Rule of Rose, Blood Will tell,Rad and many more are very expensive.I do think it's a wonderful system to collect for but it can be expensive.

As others have pointed out there are very few $100+ games on the PS2, especially when compared to the amount of overall games on the PS2, or even the amount of good games on the PS2. I'd imagine that under half a percent of the library is worth over $60, which not many consoles can say.

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2019, 04:46:57 am »
Im personally loving collecting for the PS3 at the moment. A combination of copies of games being plentiful and easy to source (even some rarer or more niche titles), inexpensive and normally in really good condition due to being printed on blu-rays makes collecting for the thing incredibly easy and satisfying. A good amount of games can still be purchased new from online retailers if you know where to look. PS4 will do the same in the future, though since the PS5 will be backwards compatible with PS4 games time will tell if games will become inexpensive to the extent that PS3 games have.

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2019, 05:44:36 am »
I'd say the best system to collect for is whichever one(s) you grew up with, as those systems have nostalgia bonded with them, making games either great trips down memory lane or fulfilling childhood desires to play a game you never were able to get or finish.

emporerdragon has the best reply to this thread in my opinion. Most everyone is talking about selling the games I personally don't care about what a video game is worth on the market. I am in this collection for the nastolgia on video games I never had growing up, all games are worth something. The best system to collect for is whatever you can afford, sometime a game is sold at a low price can be the best game you ever played.

But if you want to know the best media to collect for then the answer is Music CD's and DVD movie media
due to it's low prices, at least where I live
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 05:47:40 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2019, 06:51:57 am »
Yes I agree the ps2 has a lot of cheap games but I listed that system higher in my list because it does have a lot of pricey titles also.In my area games like Kuon,Rule of Rose, Blood Will tell,Rad and many more are very expensive.I do think it's a wonderful system to collect for but it can be expensive.

As others have pointed out there are very few $100+ games on the PS2, especially when compared to the amount of overall games on the PS2, or even the amount of good games on the PS2. I'd imagine that under half a percent of the library is worth over $60, which not many consoles can say.

The PS4 is by far and away the greatest console ever. The absolute amount of amazing games on this console is just mind blowing.

I have admittedly been blown away by the quality of games on the PS4.  Out of the modern consoles it is easily my favorite and spends more time turned on than any other.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 07:21:06 am by Cartagia »

telly

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2019, 11:12:05 am »
I'm torn between the PS4 and PS2. One the one hand, the PS4 probably has a better library. But if I wanted to collect for the PS4 say, 10 years from now it would be an absolute nightmare because of all those limited releases on the console.
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2019, 12:03:48 pm »
I think it comes down to how you collect.
It’s always hard for me to buy a used disc based game, because they’re usually scratched up.
I like to have complete games. The used cartridge games have smashed or damaged boxes/instructions etc.
If I just wanted the game and didn’t care about it being complete, I’d probably go with NES games. Loose carts are everywhere and can be easily displayed with the titles showing on a shelf.
My personal favorite to collect for was the TG-16. It was the first system I bought with my own cash. The later release boxes were also color coded by genre. The library wasn’t that big in the US, but the games that made it here were all fairly decent.

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2019, 04:52:55 pm »
The best systems to collect for is the ones you enjoy the most.

kashell

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2019, 08:06:00 am »
The best system to collect for is the PlayStation 2 since it's my favorite. ^_^

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2019, 04:09:32 pm »
I think which console is best to collect for is a very personal thing, based on your own gaming habits & income level.

I think, for me personally, I'd pick the Saturn. I didn't grow up with it, but I wanted it way back when I was just 13. Coupling that with the higher cost of the games (meaning I only pick up one or two a year), makes Saturn acquisitions special. It simultaneously appeals to my desire to try something new, while encouraging a sense of faux nostalgia & appealing to the kid in me who never got her Saturn back in the day. It's a great way to rekindle that childlike wonder for games from before I had such a big collection. Plus- since the games are so pricey, the collection is far more curated, so it's overall higher quality & more bragworthy than the rest of my stuff.

If I were trying to encourage a new collector, I'd probably point them toward the PS2/3 and handhelds right now- the games and systems both are fairly plentiful and cheap, with lots of great titles to find- they're fine places for someone to try this whole thing out without putting in too much money. The Wii and 360 are close seconds. The Wii gets knocked a bit for the large amount of shovelware to dig through, and the 360 has enough console issues to put me off recommending it to someone who doesn't know what to look out for. Pre-NES systems can be good for the tinker-minded types, since doing home repair & mods isn't out of the norm- and they're dirt cheap. The games decidedly don't appeal to many people these days though.

For someone who insists on picking up the popular systems right at the start- your NES/SNES stuff- I'd really try to push them to emulation. It's a far more expensive set of the market to get into, & I'd rather they not put in a huge money sink to find out it's just not their thing.

shfan

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2019, 04:22:30 pm »
Whatever's accessable and cheap in your part of the world, to get started with.

Recently I've become a lot more interested in PC games, particularly noughties indie/casual/obscure ones on CD/DVD-ROM, they can be picked up for pence and there's a lot of different genres and oddball titles.

Warmsignal

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2019, 07:13:46 pm »
This question would depend on a few factors and really what the goal is behind the collection. Depends on if you're going for quality, or quantity.

I would be hard pressed not to say NES, because most of the classics are very affordable and still plenty of thrifty titles worth a shot. You can completely ignore the expensive titles and you'll be just fine. If you're just going for a huge volume of games, then PS2 will probably always hold that title. It lacks the prestige of the more classic consoles IMO, and not sure it will ever be regarded as quite the collector's item as an older Nintendo or Sega console. Kind of the same deal with Xbox 360. I think they'd be a tie for easiest to accumulate a bunch of games on.

pzeke

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2019, 08:04:37 pm »
PS2 for sure – there’s PLENTY to choose from. Definitely one of my favorite consoles.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!