Author Topic: Who is your favorite video game villain/antagonist?  (Read 1978 times)

kypherion

Who is your favorite video game villain/antagonist?
« on: January 25, 2019, 10:00:13 pm »

My favorite villain overall in video gaming would have to be Ganondorf. Just the fact that this timeless evil has haunted the blood of the goddess and the spirit of the hero is insane. Across 3 seperate timelines this power hungry giant (sort of, he's 7'6") has sought out the full triforce for himself to rule Hyrule. Some might compare him to Dracula and how he has tormented the Belmonts across generations and nearly a whole millenium but it's different with Ganondorf. As cool as Dracula is, he is simply a really powerful vampire with the crimson and ebony stones. That pales in comparison to being the reincarnation of evil and being really good at magic amongst other things. He's powerful without being too powerful. He's not Sephiroth capable of crazy strength feats but he's not some pushover weak final boss like Bowser in Super Mario 64. He's a powerful medieval evil that has haunted 3 separate timelines and transforms into a huge ass boar like monster as his final trick. I also really enjoy the music associated with him, especially in A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, Four Swords Adventures and Breath of the Wild. Essentially what really nails it home for me is a liking of the character but also a lore explanation for his return and inevitable battle with that era's Link versus another Mario game that's just "Here's Bowser fight him again".

Then again the Zelda timeline is a giant WTF so there's that.

Who is your favorite video game villain and why?
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

pzeke

Re: Who is your favorite video game villain/antagonist?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 08:24:40 am »

Sigma (Mega Man X series). I feel the same way you described Ganondorf could be applied to Sigma. Evil. Egomaniac. Persistent. Vengeful. The whole package. He also has some nice music themes.

To be honest, though, I had a bit of a hard time choosing... Maybe I'll revisit this someday.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 06:38:06 am by pzeke »

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 09:48:02 am »
Kefka. His complete lack of remorse and the fact he actually succeeded in his plans makes him stand out among the crowd.

wolfen

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 01:37:00 pm »
I like Ganondorf in general, but specifically Wind Waker Ganondorf is a much more human character. He isn't purely evil, he has a virtuos goal of saving his people. It seems like he doesn't even truly hate any of the characters, but he must fight them to attain this goal.

I also love Petey Piranha in Super Mario Sunshine and I wish Nintendo would use him more as a mainstay in the mainline Mario games

King Boo is another one who I would love to see more of in Mario games and hopefully he will show up for Luigi's Mansion 3

I also would love to see some more expansion on the bosses from Donkey Kong Jungle Beat.

shadowzero

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 05:29:09 pm »
No, no, no, no......NO....who has been the villain longer than Dracula himself?  Why Dr. Willy of Course!   Time and time again summoning eight or six robot masters.  This guys has an agenda!

aliensstudios

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 05:55:20 pm »

I think Porky from EarthBound and Mother 3 is one of the more interesting villains. In EarthBound his character is pretty cut and dry but in Mother 3 there's a lot more to figure out about him. It really shows how corrupt one can become if given the time and resources.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

ferraroso

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 09:40:55 pm »
I love most of the villains of SNK's fighting games (at least from the 90's).
Mr. Big from Art of Fighting, Wolfgang Krauser and (the almighty) Geese Howard from Fatal Fury, Goenitz and Orochi from The King of Fighters... They are all awesome in both design and attitude.
But my vote for favorite villain/antagonist in a video game has to go to
Rugal Bernstein
In a way, he is an amalgamation of the powers of some of those characters combined with the arrogance of the others.
Rugal is simply, THE KING OF FIGHTERS for me (pun intended)!

"Repeat this after me, I'll never take on a GOD again."

PS: I'm also a fan of M. Bison (Vega), Heihachi Mishima and Cervantes de Leon.

telly

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 09:46:30 pm »
The first that came to mind for me was Andrew Ryan from Bioshock
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

shatterstar69

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 04:32:30 am »

Same game but I chose Fontaine because Ryan was just misguided whereas Fontaine lusted for power above all and brainwashed the protagonist (player) to do his dirty work for him.  By the way, Bioshock is my favorite game of all time
Time to make the donuts!

kashell

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 01:39:05 pm »
Lezard Valeth from Valkyrie profile. He's brilliant and nuts, and will do anything to win the heart of Lenneth. Anything.

gf78

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2019, 01:40:44 pm »

Spoiler alert next time!  Im sure you just ruined it for somebody who hant gotten around to playing this in the past twelve years!   :P

Same game but I chose Fontaine because Ryan was just misguided whereas Fontaine lusted for power above all and brainwashed the protagonist (player) to do his dirty work for him.  By the way, Bioshock is my favorite game of all time
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

mark1982

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 09:45:11 am »

Spoiler alert next time!  Im sure you just ruined it for somebody who hant gotten around to playing this in the past twelve years!   :P

Ha! I thought the same on the spoiler alert, heh.

I gotta go with Wesker for favorite villain. Best scene is still from RE1 with the extremely "good" voice acting  :P

probably spoiled someones first time RE1 experience as well...
  l    l 

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 02:00:58 pm »
Some of my favorite