Author Topic: Super Smash Bros Ultimate: Opinions?  (Read 2476 times)

gf78

Super Smash Bros Ultimate: Opinions?
« on: January 08, 2019, 12:21:47 pm »
I'm over 30 hours into Super Smash Bros Ultimate and have to say, this game is a monster!  It's so chock-full of stuff to do. It's like a love letter to Nintendo fans. I've unlocked all of the characters for Smash and Adventure mode and completed Adventure with all of the characters. I'm currently working through Spirits and have nearly 600 spirits in my collection so far. There are over 1200!

At first, I wasnt to hip on Spirits mode until I really sat down, studied it and realized how to effectively select, upgrade and manage my spirits to take into battle. When this mode really started giving me the nostalgia feels is when you enter portals that take you to themed areas. A few standouts for me include the Street Fighter area, where you zip around to different continents in a plane to compete in matches ala Street Fighter II. Traveling through Dracula's castle was awesome and the Zelda area where you unite the triforce was pretty freakin cool.

If I have a complaint to level at this game, it's that there is no background info on the multitude of spirits. Some are very obscure, from even more obscure titles. It would be nice if Nintendo had included a brief bio for each, including what game they were from and what year it was released & what system it was on. The Spirit Board can also be infuriating as even after you beat a spirit, you have a dumb minigame where you have to shoot a gun through a revolving circle to actually GET the spirit.

Other than those relatively minor gripes, this has to be the most feature-packed fighting game ever released with enough hours of single player content to rival many RPGs. And then of course, an infinite number of hours you can pour into multiplayer.

I'm genuinely curious where Nintendo will go with this series from here. By the time the DLC is done, there will be 80 characters!  Many more if you count the fact that you can play as Alph from Pikmin as an alternate for Olimar. Then with Bowser Jr., you can also play as Ludwig, Lemmy, Morton, Iggy, Wendy, Roy and Larry Koopalings. There is also male/female variants for Villager, Pokemon Trainer, Wii Fit Trainer, Robin and Corrin. Cloud and Bayonetta have 2nd player variants with totally different looks from different games. You have the three Mii Fighters which are infinitely customizable. That's EIGHTEEN more characters!  Now were up to 89 characters with Pirahnna Plant coming soon and another five characters yet to be released including new levels & extras.

THIS is a game worth every penny!  And you have to wonder about characters that can be summoned which are fully modeled in the game.

Then the boss characters like Master Hand, Crazy Hand, Giga-Bowser, Ganon, Dracula, Rathalos, Galleom, Marx, Galeem, Dharkon..
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

Re: Super Smash Bros Ultimate: Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 12:34:23 pm »
There's no Fighting Polygon Team which upsets me was running joke I had with friends prior to release. I was being half serious and half joking. I havent spent too much time with it but I am enjoying myself. Just like you, I do need to sit down and understand the Spirits since I was confused at first as to how they work but now that I do, I still need to play around with it. Let me just say, I still get chills whenever I get a A New Challenger alert in the game.

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 04:14:17 pm »
I found World of Light to be very boring and tedious much of the time as they should've just made everything a themed area like they did for Zelda, Castlevania, and a few others.  I did beat it and aspects of the spirit collecting I enjoyed, but it's not something I'll ever play again, especially since there's absolutely no story going on.  Along with that, they could've done better with the bonus game with Classic, as the same boring bonus game for each character is very lame, which I don't want to say with the amount of content they have in this game.

That said, damn there's a lot of content and I love how many characters, levels, and music there is.  I'm not gonna regularly play Smash (as the online is terrible), but it's a great party game that I'll play casually.

kypherion

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 06:13:31 pm »
I think the game is awesome. On my switch I have 128 hours on the game and I love it. World of Light is chill, the online is decent and Ganondorf got buffed so it's a win win. However there's two things that bother me.

1. The announcer. I've never been a fan of Xander Mobus. I don't think he's that good and there's a handful of english VAs that are pretty bad. Don't tell him that though because he already wrote like 10 tweets on why english voice actors aren't worse than japanese ones. I just wish they would've rehired Super Smash Bros. Melee's announcer (Dean Harrington).

2. The lack of events and homerun contest. I get the events is basically World of Light, but the lack of a Homerun contest bothers me. Same with break the targets. Those have been staples in the series and to see them missing is just strange. I loved beating the crap out of that poor sandbag and sending him hundreds of feet!
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

gf78

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 12:45:37 am »
Wow.. my carpal tunnel is in overdrive!  Just finished a 3 hour & 33 minutes run, finishing up the World of Light. Got all three endings & with a couple of shop purchases, got the 777 spirits to fill in another piece of the picture.

That amount of time might not sound like a lot to some of the more hardcore gamers here, but there has only been a handful of games that have kept me playing for more than about an hour at a time. So for me, its kinda a testament to just how enjoyable I find this game!

BTW on a funny note, my wife thinks it sounds like Kirby is yelling "suck it!" When performing the upward splash. She even woke up in the middle of the night hearing "suck it!"  LMAO!
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

sworddude

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 06:04:31 am »
I found World of Light to be very boring and tedious much of the time as they should've just made everything a themed area like they did for Zelda, Castlevania, and a few others.  I did beat it and aspects of the spirit collecting I enjoyed, but it's not something I'll ever play again, especially since there's absolutely no story going on.  Along with that, they could've done better with the bonus game with Classic, as the same boring bonus game for each character is very lame, which I don't want to say with the amount of content they have in this game.

That said, damn there's a lot of content and I love how many characters, levels, and music there is.  I'm not gonna regularly play Smash (as the online is terrible), but it's a great party game that I'll play casually.

i agree the world of light is quite tedious even if you have combinations to make most fights last only seconds.

I mean seriously if your not a fan of it there will be times when you just want it to end but it just doesn't multiple times, the bosses are nice though no complains about that. Also I don't think that a story would have helped much unless they would do it sub space emmisary style instead of those cpu battles with different events in my opinion it would still be tedious either way if that would be left unchanced.

Also as far as online goes your right I also have some problems with online on the switch at least if i'm using wifi that is. With a lan adapter the online is nice no issues there.

Apparently there are quite some people complaining and the wifi on the switch is even worse than on the wii u. Even with games such as mario kart or splatoon there are some who can't even last a match when using wifi. Your pretty much forced to get a lan adapter to get a nice online experience from either the old wii or from the newer consoles third party etc. kinda hard to believe that a newer consoles has worse wifi. The wii u could be used for wifi only while with the switch for most people it's just not happening.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 06:13:42 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

gf78

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 07:03:55 am »
I only played ONE 4-player online match. It was literally a slideshow. The entire match felt like somebody threw down the stopwatch and it affected everyone.

At this point, online isn't a priority and I'm not even sure if it's the Switch or my country bumpkin LTE internet. It's either that or satellite like Hughesnet. Been there, done that. It wouldn't work anyway with its 800ms + ping times and I wouldn't wish that shit on my worst enemy.

So unless somebody gifts me a LAN adapter or I win fifty bucks on a scratcher, I dont see me picking one up anytime soon.

SWITCH/WIFI LOCATION DISCLAIMER:  My Switch when docked is five feet away from my router.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 07:05:56 am by gf78 »

sworddude

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 07:59:30 am »
I only played ONE 4-player online match. It was literally a slideshow. The entire match felt like somebody threw down the stopwatch and it affected everyone.

At this point, online isn't a priority and I'm not even sure if it's the Switch or my country bumpkin LTE internet. It's either that or satellite like Hughesnet. Been there, done that. It wouldn't work anyway with its 800ms + ping times and I wouldn't wish that shit on my worst enemy.

So unless somebody gifts me a LAN adapter or I win fifty bucks on a scratcher, I dont see me picking one up anytime soon.

SWITCH/WIFI LOCATION DISCLAIMER:  My Switch when docked is five feet away from my router.

if your wifi is decent than it can be good. Still though if someone has a bad connection even with a lan adapter the worst connection counts as far as 4 player battles go.

In my case the connection is good but wifi can be inconsistent disconnect are the main thing. With the wii u it rarely happened. As far as the switch goes in my case especially in the morning or at noon when there are no other devices in use the wifi is pretty good no disconnects or slowdown but in the evening it is not . With the wii u this was not a problem with wifi only wich is strange a lan adapter was not really needed with that console in my case. But i guess it isn't strange after reading the stories online the wifi on switch is apparently pretty bad.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 10:06:34 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

kashell

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 03:15:43 pm »
I like it. I still think I like the Wii U edition more, but this one is still damn fun. It's at its best when it's a couch play party game. But, since that's more rare these days, I find myself trying to better my score in Classic Mode.

The spirit stuff is still a bit much. It definitely adds replay value, but I'm really passive with it.

gf78

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 06:22:44 pm »
I finally went back and got the Pauline spirit. What a cheap, infuriating SOB match!  So I've officially completed World of Light.

aliensstudios

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 08:47:16 pm »
I like it. I still think I like the Wii U edition more, but this one is still damn fun. It's at its best when it's a couch play party game. But, since that's more rare these days, I find myself trying to better my score in Classic Mode.

The spirit stuff is still a bit much. It definitely adds replay value, but I'm really passive with it.
My thoughts align almost exactly with yours. It's fun, but I most definitely like Super Smash Bros. for Wii U better. The World of Light was way too monotonous and drawn out and I can't believe people bitched about Subspace or Smash Tour so much but act like World of Light is the second coming.
I don't know, I've just felt a lot less inclined to go back to Smash Bros. Ultimate because at the end of the day, it's just stages I've already played to death in the prior five entries with character models recycled from the Wii U for the most part. I've really only played it on the couch with friends or family and also completed the World of Light which was honestly an absolute chore just to change the menu theme. Also, it gets frustrating having to repack your character and colors EVERY match.
It's a great game though, but I can't help but feel like it didn't evolve enough from the Wii U to be anything other than an enhanced port of that game. Also, I'm surprised how well the game runs without getting the Switch even warm to the touch, must be some great programming going on.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

astralorange

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 10:51:52 am »
It's the best Smash ever made. I absolutely love it. I do miss "break the targets" and "home run contest" but in all honestly I never played them THAT much. Though one thing I wish this game had was the old All-Star mode. I HATE all-star mob smash. It pretty much guarantees I'll never get to see every fighter in that mode. I like having breaks between the "eras" of Nintendo. They should've did "NES Era" and give you all the fighters from the beginning up til 1991, then SNES era, N64 era, and so on, with breaks between eras to restore life or something. Other than that the game is absolutely amazing. Very close to finishing World of Light after 20 hours, and already put 70 hours into the game total, which is about 20 hours more than I put into both Brawl and Wii U/3DS Smash.

topspot123

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2019, 01:01:22 pm »

My thoughts align almost exactly with yours. It's fun, but I most definitely like Super Smash Bros. for Wii U better. The World of Light was way too monotonous and drawn out and I can't believe people bitched about Subspace or Smash Tour so much but act like World of Light is the second coming.
I don't know, I've just felt a lot less inclined to go back to Smash Bros. Ultimate because at the end of the day, it's just stages I've already played to death in the prior five entries with character models recycled from the Wii U for the most part. I've really only played it on the couch with friends or family and also completed the World of Light which was honestly an absolute chore just to change the menu theme. Also, it gets frustrating having to repack your character and colors EVERY match.
It's a great game though, but I can't help but feel like it didn't evolve enough from the Wii U to be anything other than an enhanced port of that game. Also, I'm surprised how well the game runs without getting the Switch even warm to the touch, must be some great programming going on.

I'm having almost the opposite reaction to yours.  I got Smash for Wii U at launch, but just do to various life factors, I've only played it literally a few times.  But I've had more time to put into Ultimate and I'm really enjoying myself!  It's as if I hadn't played a Smash since the underwhelming Brawl.  Ultimate has a great feel and learning the current move sets feels like learning the characters for the first time. 

aliensstudios

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 06:03:02 pm »

I'm having almost the opposite reaction to yours.  I got Smash for Wii U at launch, but just do to various life factors, I've only played it literally a few times.  But I've had more time to put into Ultimate and I'm really enjoying myself!  It's as if I hadn't played a Smash since the underwhelming Brawl.  Ultimate has a great feel and learning the current move sets feels like learning the characters for the first time.
I can see the game's appeal certainly. It is a great title overall, but I think Smash needed to evolve just a bit more for me to be as into it as I was for Wii U. I haven't played for a while and have been playing lots of other titles which I'm quite happy with. I don't feel like I'm missing out not playing it like I did with Smash Bros. for Wii U.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2019, 03:15:21 pm »
Its not Melee but still pretty fun once you learn the characters more. I am not interested in the story mode and would rather do 1v1s with friends or tourneys. Still a lot of characters I have yet to try. Pretty good game but I wouldn't play it solo

Constantly paying for new characters is bullshit though, although I don't own the game my brother does :p