Author Topic: What is the most addictive game you have ever played? (Tetris Discussion)  (Read 2221 times)

Hello everyone :) 

I'm not sure if this topic has ever come up, I didn't want to grave dig an old thread and their are many new members who may also share just in case :)

My main question is to ask has anyone ever become addicted to tetris or to discuss tetris fever that enveloped the 80s and 90s.  And any stories any have of being hooked during their life?  Has a game ever hit such cultural levels of pure mind numbing blissful addiction?  It was so addictive Shigeru Miyamoto when asked if it was a good game said "Yes" and the person asked "why do you think so"  and he said "Because all of our accountants are playing it" lol.  ;D.  It spread like wild fire and really was one of the best selling and most available games of all time.

I know it's probably the most accessible and readily available and recognized video game of all time being on almost every console and even calculators.  And I know it was such a phenomenon in it's day that it coined many terms that the video game industry still use like "the tetris effect".  Which is any time a game is so addictive it occupies space in your sub concious memory and alters your dreams and thinking.  People may experience falling teriominoes falling when they close their eyes and see lines clearing in their dreams :)

Currently I have finally caught Tetris fever, Perhaps to unhealthy levels. I can't put it down and it's consumed a lot of my time recently.  Mostly trying to get 40 lines faster and faster.  I feel slow. I love tetris effect but my favorite is Puyo Puyo tetris.  Not the puyo puyo part.

With this I wanted to dive into some of the most addictive games I have ever played and wanted to see how people rank tetris among other addictive games or ever drugs. 

Here is my top 5 for most addictive games that I have become hooked on. While I don't regret my time with the games, I do wish I perhaps toned it back some at times :D   Please share your #1 or 5 if you have the time. 

1. Tetris

This list is in no perticular order only because I am only recently been hooked on tetris.  I have always loved and played it but for some reason now I am just obsessed with bettering my scores.  I feel the same bit of addictive nature the gameboy kids felt in the 80s on every school bus.  With the switch being able to go anywhere it truly makes it hard to stay away from even at work or in car rides.

Minecraft

Minecraft is another one that definitely creates a peaceful and relaxing world where repetitive tasks somehow become addictive.  And the game is basically limitless. The music is orchestral and soothing and makes me love to go back.  It's sold so many copies on so many platforms and has one of the largest monthly user base in the world consisting of mostly kids who become hooked.

Call of Duty

I know Call of Duty has become subject of ridicule due to it's lack of innovation and seemingly complacent way of making games as of recent, but early on the franchise truly was a sensation.  Everyone tried it, everyone had it.  and for months and months it was life.  In my middle school years It's all I knew and I think i've clocked more time into it than any other game.   It adds the main addictive element of the level up and K/D ratio systems to keep you hooked on watching your stats climb and then adds that with some fast twitch reflexes necessary for being good.  The feeling is uphoric if done right :)

Guitar Hero

Although I have since fallen out of fashion with GH, When I was a kid I really loved them and played them for hours and became good at them.  They are again another game with a lot of repetition, a score system and a format for addiction. 

Forza Motorsport and Gran Turismo

These racing sim games, or many arcade racing games with large stories or multiplayer always get me hooked because they are very relaxing and I love cars.  And the races can be very long but also very rewarding when you win and watch the money climb affording new cars as you go.  It's the sense of reward than keeps humans longing for more :D

THE TELL TALE SIGNS

OF ADDICTIVE GAMES

1. Repetition
2. Rewards
3. Easy at first, hard over time
4. Soothing, limitless and accessible

What is everyone's pick for their most addictive game?  Has any game made you addicted to a unhealthy point and do you love Tetris?  I love Tetris because it's so simple but yet so compelx too.  It warps the human mind. 

soera

Nothing on this planet will compare to this in terms of addictiveness : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EverQuest

Minecraft might be up there.  Back in the first couple years of it, even before official release, I played it a crap ton because it was such a chill experience and I liked the freedom of building and that only got better with mods and doing co-op builds with friends.

Diablo 3 is my go to game  :)

I find it incredibly relaxing. I can just pop on a podcast and grind for hours.

I’ll be starting over again soon....just waiting for the new season to begin   8)

« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 06:51:35 pm by rhinoceros »

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

Magic the Gathering. There's a reason it gets referred to as Cardboard Crack

As of now I've put 350+ hours into Monster Hunter World, a new record for me. It's not the kind of game I'd have ever tried without prodding too, so the obsession is kind of a surprise.

Years ago, when my parents were shopping for their house, the real estate guy told us he'd been so into Tetris at one point, he'd drive through the city & imagine blocks falling between the skyscrapers.

I will exclude games that have an ending since even tho they can be addictive they still end.

NBA 2k games are probably the most addictive to me, I used to play a LOT of park but it became too unhealthy for me lol I was taking it way too seriously so I just stopped and I'm now focusing on myleague. I used to play UFC 2 a lot too last year but I wanted to focus on other games.

But overall the most addictive game I've ever played and which to this day is my favorite game, or more like my favorite serie: The Sims. I've played thousand of hours of The Sims 2 and 3, 1 and 4 too to a smaller extent, and also the spin off and console games.

I will exclude games that have an ending since even tho they can be addictive they still end.

NBA 2k games are probably the most addictive to me, I used to play a LOT of park but it became too unhealthy for me lol I was taking it way too seriously so I just stopped and I'm now focusing on myleague. I used to play UFC 2 a lot too last year but I wanted to focus on other games.

But overall the most addictive game I've ever played and which to this day is my favorite game, or more like my favorite serie: The Sims. I've played thousand of hours of The Sims 2 and 3, 1 and 4 too to a smaller extent, and also the spin off and console games.

wow I didn't know there was another gamer like myself on this forum, I used to be upsessed with the Sims PC series growing up. I also love to play sports titles in which is another thing we both share in common telling by the quoted post from @chrismb  :)

As for my current addiction it's "Roller Coaster Tycoon 2  PC with all expansions" and I am just getting into some of the Atari games on my handheld
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 04:26:08 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Agozer

I've put a considerable amount of hours into the Witcher 3 and Xenoblade Chronicles X. I haven't played monster Hunter World yet, so we'll see about that.

telly

I definitely put way too much time into the first Black Ops back in the day. Easily around 400+ hours.
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

tripredacus

Diablo II for me. I played it for 8 years, and even bought two copies of the base game and expansion to run it on two computers at once.

In most recent memory, Breath of the Wild was incredibly addictive for me. I frequently found myself with 10 things in mind that I wanted to do, and then my way to do one of those things I see several other things I wanted to explore and do. The sense of adventure and discovery in that game was unlike anything I'd ever played and I'd often be like "just one more thing" over and over again and before I knew it, it was 4am on a work night. Breath of the Wild consumed all my free time for about 2-months and I never wanted to put it down. I'm not sure if any game has ever captivated me that much.

Flashback2012

Age of Mythology (PC)
Pokemon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire (GBA)
Addams Family Pinball (Arcade)
Dragon Force (Saturn)
Everquest (PC)
World of Warcraft (PC)

Those are the ones right off the top of my head. I'm sure there's a few more that I've burned from my memory because of how addictive they were.  :P

Skyrim is the most addicted i've ever been to a game. I've played it on every system its out for including pc and ill keep playing it until they stop releasing it

kypherion

Minecraft and League of Legends are pretty addictive. Same with smash bros.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"