Author Topic: What's everyone think of the new Nintendo President?  (Read 202 times)

What's everyone think of the new Nintendo President?
« on: January 06, 2019, 05:57:23 pm »
What's everyone think of the new Nintendo President? Seems he's made quite a stir lately.

Re: What's everyone think of the new Nintendo President?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 06:33:40 pm »
I haven't seen him do much yet, but I believe you are talking about the recent interview where he talked about a possible future where Nintendo might not be making consoles and really it's just talk about how Nintendo is flexible and no matter where the industry goes, Nintendo will have other avenues to bolster themselves, such as themeparks, movies, and mobile gaming...not that I like to hear about more mobile games with how underwhelming or bad they've all been.  It's pretty common sense stuff for him to say.

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 10:09:34 pm »
I think a lot of people are taking what he said out of context. He certainly is not saying that Nintendo will be exiting the console market, simply that they will adapt with the industry as a whole, which from a business point of view makes sense. Businesses that don't adapt and change with their target market go out of business.

Nintendo has been dabbling in mobile gaming and other popular gaming mediums more than they have in the past, but they've been 100% behind their consoles and games like they've always been. Yes, I am little worried about what direction they might go in the future, but whatever direction that would be would be a response to the greater video game industry. On that note, I am not happy with the direction the video game industry has been going for about 10-years now, but Nintendo is probably one of the least guilty parties in pushing the industry in that direction. If anything Nintendo has been one of the last bastions of honest, game focused business rather than chasing market trends, ripping people off, and putting business before their games.

kypherion

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 10:18:59 pm »
No idea yet. I just hope Nintendo keeps being Nintendo and doesn't do any dumb crap.
"'GRAND CROSS!"

gf78

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 11:14:46 am »
I think he's just saying that Nintendo will adapt to the changing market. A lot of people who give Nintendo crap and constantly dog them (looking at you, toxic N4G community!) will wish the industry as a whole hadn't gone to the ship it now/patch it later operating model.

Then again, maybe not. Many of the younger gamers coming up couldn't care less about nostalgia or revisiting a favorite game down the road. One need only look at the popularity of online shooters, especially Fortnite that a few years from now, will be completely unplayable and wont even exist. It goes hand-in-hand with the dying story-driven single-player experience.
Currently playing:  Diablo III, Yoshi's Crafted World & Rayman Legends
Currently listening to:  Unleash the Archers & Metallica
Currently Watching:  Spiderman Into the Spiderverse & Aquaman
Currently biting my nails:  Waiting for Game of Thrones to start!

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 11:36:16 pm »
It really annoys me how so many clickbait videos have taken that quote wildly out of context. He didn't say consoles are out, he said a future where they fall out of favor is something worth preparing for.

Also...

It goes hand-in-hand with the dying story-driven single-player experience.
This is a myth and the idea that single player games are falling out of favor is intentional manipulation on the part of companies that want this to be the case. God of War was a no bullshit single player story and was one of the most successful games of the year. Most of nintendo's succesful new games have been single player experiences sans Splatoon and Smash Bros. It's not that people don't buy them anymore, it's that companies like EA have been especially lazy about the idea of making them and want people to believe they're old news.

telly

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 02:11:18 pm »
Not to mention RDR2 and it's massive story driven campaign
Currently Playing:
Spelunky (PS4), Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War (PS4)

Administrator on Bulbagarden Forums