Author Topic: PSVR Owners, Is the PSVR good and is it worth diving into right now?  (Read 1895 times)

Hello everyone. :)

Black Friday I finally caved in and broke the seal to get my first PS4.

I have become hooked on Tetris effect and you can tell the game is 300 times more immersive and beautiful if you were in it and resolved of your peripheral distractions.

Most games for the matter most likely.  But I'm very nervous about diving into the VR.  Mostly because i'm on the fence with many of the games as I don't know what many of them are about or if they are good.

So my main question, is it genuinely good?  Worth 250+ dollars?   I find that pretty cheap and entry level for VR but also pretty pricey as just a novelty.  I want it to be something I love.  Tetris Effect already has me sold but are their any other games i'd love?   How does the RE play on it?  Is it as immersive as it looks? 

Does it make you feel in the game or is it more looking at a game through a pair of goggles?   

I like adventure games, platformers, racers and action games.  Astro Bots, Creed and a few others attract me. 

What is everyones experience with owning or playing the VR?  Do you reccomend it?

1 side question too,  although games like GOW aren't VR, can you still play them with the headset on? Does it show the game in there just not reactive to your movements?  I'd love a device to cut off my peripheral vision so I was emmersed more.

Thank you for the help :D

Re: PSVR Owners, Is the PSVR good and is it worth diving into right now?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 04:58:24 pm »
I just bought VR and my headset is coming on Monday. I have played it a lot at other people's houses though, and it's very enjoyable. While it hasn't arrived yet, I got it for 199.99 on Google Express. The Astro Bot bundle was on sale for 219.99 on Google Express, and there's a coupon for first orders that took off $20. This is what I did and got move controllers separately. Here's the link:

https://express.google.com/product/5664474168864323247_7951303650894727841_46586

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 05:59:10 pm »
I heard there might be a lot of adult games on the VR, but that was just a rumor I heard. I seen a few commercials on the television and don't know how exactly this device works
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Flashback2012

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 07:14:12 pm »
I heard there might be a lot of adult games on the VR, but that was just a rumor I heard. I seen a few commercials on the television and don't know how exactly this device works

There might be a couple of pervy titles but I highly doubt going to find adult ADULT titles on the PSVR. Maybe some of the other ones like Oculus or what not but I can't see Sony letting that kind of stuff on PSN.

I almost took the Nestea plunge on a VR unit over the holiday. They had a bundle I with games I wanted in it but I was dismayed after doing research that letting kids use the VR was discouraged and is meant for 13+. With kids 12 and under, that did me a whole lot of no good. I'll pick one up eventually but it's aggravating knowing not everyone in the house will be able to enjoy it.  >:(

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 12:29:23 pm »
Astro bot is fun, get that game.

karyann

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 02:42:44 pm »
If you like rhythm games, Beat Saber is the best thing ever! I also like Catlateral Damage, although it's more of a silly party game. If you like shooters, Farpoint is a pretty good one that is set in space.

Also yes, you can use the headset to play any game. Think of it as another screen :) My boyfriend and I each have our own PS4, and when we want to play at the same time we use the PSVR. One plays on the TV, and one plays with the headset on  :P It has nice perks, like being able to lie down on your back and still see the screen.

topspot123

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 11:13:47 pm »
For what it's worth, I was nervous about the expense when I first got my PSVR too.  But I'm thrilled to say that, for me at least, it was worth every penny.  I really, really LOVE it. 

It adds a gaming choice that wasn't there before.  For myself it isn't perfect for any occasion.  Sometimes after work I feel too tired to try to enjoy VR, or it isn't worth the set-up hassle that day, but plenty of other times I can't wait to be immersed.  You'll learn what games are better standing, what games are acceptable sitting, what controllers you need for each game, and unfortunately, what games give you VR sickness. 

The most shocking thing for me is how good PSVR is considering it's essentially a first gen, very consumer grade (low cost), device of its type.  I hope VR and AR continue to impress and improve and that I'm able to afford the devices in the future. 

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 08:56:36 am »
If you like rhythm games, Beat Saber is the best thing ever! I also like Catlateral Damage, although it's more of a silly party game. If you like shooters, Farpoint is a pretty good one that is set in space.

Also yes, you can use the headset to play any game. Think of it as another screen :) My boyfriend and I each have our own PS4, and when we want to play at the same time we use the PSVR. One plays on the TV, and one plays with the headset on  :P It has nice perks, like being able to lie down on your back and still see the screen.

Beat Saber is one of the games I really want for it bad, I love rythym games and Music and light sabers and it looks spectacular.   I also have tetris effect already and I want to try Astro Bots and Gran Turismo. 

Thanks for all the help everyone.  I think you sold me just being able to play other games inside the headset.  I been wanting something to cut my peripheral vision to focus better for games.  I think this would work great.  :D

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2019, 09:44:25 am »
Gran Turismo is giving me motion sickness. Try it first with some easy slow moving games, cause some get sick with those also.

azotam

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2019, 10:33:32 am »
Even though I am not a PSVR owner. I believe Subnautica is available on PSVR. It's a great game and much more immserive, once you're in VR.
Still updating collection.

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2019, 09:49:43 pm »
For what it's worth, I was nervous about the expense when I first got my PSVR too.  But I'm thrilled to say that, for me at least, it was worth every penny.  I really, really LOVE it. 

It adds a gaming choice that wasn't there before.  For myself it isn't perfect for any occasion.  Sometimes after work I feel too tired to try to enjoy VR, or it isn't worth the set-up hassle that day, but plenty of other times I can't wait to be immersed.  You'll learn what games are better standing, what games are acceptable sitting, what controllers you need for each game, and unfortunately, what games give you VR sickness. 

The most shocking thing for me is how good PSVR is considering it's essentially a first gen, very consumer grade (low cost), device of its type.  I hope VR and AR continue to impress and improve and that I'm able to afford the devices in the future.

I got my PSVR yesterday everyone :).  It came with Moss and Astro Bot.  They are amazing :)   Here are my thoughts so far.

The immersion is so amazing!  One thing that was a learning curve for me was the graphical dip.  I'm admittedly a graphic snob and game on 4k 60 fps One X.     I first played VR at my brothers house on PS4 Pro which does make it look better but on my basic PS4 is looks like a HD PS2 remake if I had to describe it.  But I realized it's because the monitors are so close to your eyes and they have to have 120 fps at minimum to keep the immersion and consoles struggle to run that at high graphic fidelity.  But that eventually takes the back seat to the immersion.  Holy crap  ;D

It's like the robot is right there, I have tried touching him a few times lol.   I actually feel like i'm going to fall off a building even though I know it's just a game.  It's crazy how well it immerses you.  It's amazing.  It's like you can feel the knot in your stomach when you go down in the game on a roller coaster or fast scenes.  It's scary. 

I love it very much.  For 300 I enjoy it very much and it's such a wonderful entry level price for VR experience.   

topspot123

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2019, 02:11:15 pm »

I got my PSVR yesterday everyone :).  It came with Moss and Astro Bot.  They are amazing :)   Here are my thoughts so far.

The immersion is so amazing!  One thing that was a learning curve for me was the graphical dip.  I'm admittedly a graphic snob and game on 4k 60 fps One X.     I first played VR at my brothers house on PS4 Pro which does make it look better but on my basic PS4 is looks like a HD PS2 remake if I had to describe it.  But I realized it's because the monitors are so close to your eyes and they have to have 120 fps at minimum to keep the immersion and consoles struggle to run that at high graphic fidelity.  But that eventually takes the back seat to the immersion.  Holy crap  ;D

It's like the robot is right there, I have tried touching him a few times lol.   I actually feel like i'm going to fall off a building even though I know it's just a game.  It's crazy how well it immerses you.  It's amazing.  It's like you can feel the knot in your stomach when you go down in the game on a roller coaster or fast scenes.  It's scary. 

I love it very much.  For 300 I enjoy it very much and it's such a wonderful entry level price for VR experience.

Welcome to the VR cult club!  8)