Author Topic: How much longer do you think the 3DS has?  (Read 3450 times)

Re: How much longer do you think the 3DS has?
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2019, 04:57:00 pm »
The switch still hasn't the support of xbox or playstation, {ie install base} so here's hoping that the awesome handheld that is 3Ds can go on receiving titles that true portable/handheld lovers can continue to play. DS brand still is infinitely more portable than even switch, and has a long and massive following. I just can't believe in a world without a true portable game system. And no mobile phones do not count

The Switch has sold almost 33 million units in under 2 years.  XB1 is around 38 million in almost triple the amount of time.  Switch has nothing to worry about for the install base.

The 3DS is at nearly 75 million in nearly 8 years, so a lot more, sure, but if the Switch continues along this trajectory it will come close.  The 3DS has peaked.  It will be able to provide some supplemental revenue, but it’s done.

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2019, 05:06:32 pm »
I'd say Pokemon Sword & Shield being on the Switch really hit the Nail on the Coffin. .. Has it got any big releases on the way?

Unless they have a surprise at E3, there are no big release coming at all this year.

Flashback2012

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2019, 05:14:20 pm »
I'd say Pokemon Sword & Shield being on the Switch really hit the Nail on the Coffin. .. Has it got any big releases on the way?

Etrian Odyssey: Nexus was the last big title that I was aware of and that just recently came out. I don't think there's any heavy hitters on the horizon.

Speaking of Pokemon Sword & Shield, I noticed someone has already made entries for the games on here. Really?!  :o There's almost no information available other than title and logos but apparently that's enough to merit an entry I guess.  ??? I don't get it but whatever floats one's boat.  :P

pzeke

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2019, 08:24:01 pm »
Speaking of Pokemon Sword & Shield, I noticed someone has already made entries for the games on here. Really?!  :o There's almost no information available other than title and logos but apparently that's enough to merit an entry I guess.  ??? I don't get it but whatever floats one's boat.  :P

The games were announced officially and the website has an "Unreleased (but official)" option available, so that more than warrants the inclusion of the games to the database - the info can always be supplemented later on.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

Flashback2012

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2019, 08:32:10 pm »

The games were announced officially and the website has an "Unreleased (but official)" option available, so that more than warrants the inclusion of the games to the database - the info can always be supplemented later on.

Entries need their pictures scrubbed. Logos aren't boxart.  :P

pzeke

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2019, 08:40:17 pm »
Placeholder. They can always be replaced once the official box art is revealed.

When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.

Flashback2012

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2019, 08:54:50 pm »
Placeholder. They can always be replaced once the official box art is revealed.

:P

pzeke

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2019, 09:11:08 pm »
The dude abides.

aliensstudios

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2019, 09:43:09 pm »

Entries need their pictures scrubbed. Logos aren't boxart.  :P
This site is a database foremost, so having items available as soon as possible is a good thing and does no harm at all. Those images are just placeholders and will be edited over once the official box art releases. Honestly, the thing to complain about is low quality entries for toys and items that have no business being here.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

pzeke

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2019, 05:14:38 am »
[...] Honestly, the thing to complain about is low quality entries for toys and items that have no business being here.

...So long as they aren't related to video games - example. Video game related swag (man, I hate that word) clearly has its place in the database.

aliensstudios

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2019, 10:42:23 am »
[...] Honestly, the thing to complain about is low quality entries for toys and items that have no business being here.

...So long as they aren't related to video games - example. Video game related swag (man, I hate that word) clearly has its place in the database.
Or all of the commercially released films in the Promo Videos / Movies section: https://vgcollect.com/browse/swagvideos/17
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

kashell

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2019, 12:06:46 pm »
Anyone else picking up the new-ish Kirby game on the 3DS this week?

jeffmandm

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2019, 12:11:14 pm »

Probably not right away, I know it's doubtful Nintendo games will ever get a price drop, but this is a port of Epic Yarn to the 3DS, and I have the Wii version so it's not on my radar for now.

pzeke

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2019, 02:36:01 pm »

Already have it for the Wii; but I might pick it up later down the line...maybe.

astrolorange

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2019, 11:35:58 am »
3DS has been on life support for at least 2 years now. Nintendo kept reiterating that they will support the 3DS all the way through 2019 but there is hardly any evidence to support that. In the last year, what have we gotten... Detective Pikachu and 3 ports? The 3DS doesn't even get a mention during Directs anymore. The system is dead. I'd say the last major release was Pokemon Sun & Moon at the end of 2016. Even when Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon came out it felt so unenthusiastic and lackluster. Don't get me wrong, I love the 3DS, it's probably my favorite handheld of all time (unless you count the Switch) but anyone who thinks the 3DS has been actively supported for the last year or two is just lying to themselves. It was on its way out ever since Switch came out. I'm just surprised it took Nintendo this long to kill the system for good. So to answer the question... the 3DS will probably officially be out of production this year. There's just no reason to continue pretending to support it. It had a great run, it lived a good life, now let's move on.