Author Topic: Nintendo Fans: What (if any) Wii U games should get a Switch port?  (Read 4698 times)

Re: Nintendo Fans: What (if any) Wii U games should get a Switch port?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2019, 10:08:35 am »
I'm over ports. I'm over paying 60 dollars for a 5 year old game. The community shouldn't allow of it but we do. I just can't pay full retail for a game I beat 5 years ago. I own a Wii U. This is Nintendo's way of not innovating but still cashing out with low dev costs.  I'm just truly sick of it.  The Wii U was such a failure yet Nintendo just can't let it go. And a good chunk of Switch's entertaining stuff is Wii U copy and pastes. But since Switch was marketed better their is an illusion Wii U sucked. 

Do we get a new donkey kong?  Of course not, why would we.  We get good old Wii U tropical freeze. Oh that's awesome, must be 20 bucks right?  Maybe 40?  No..... it's 60.  Again!  Why?   When was this ever a thing?

Oh but what about a new side scroller Mario?  Or Bayonetta? Or Mario Kart.  No sir.  Wii U games repackaged for full retail again.  Nothing really added.  Hardly any dev costs.  Buying the same game twice. 

Because of all these ports, Nintendo has this illusion that the switch has a vast library, it really doesn't.  It has the same games Wii U did with maybe 1 or 2 new ones, and a bunch of 3rd party indie filler like Wii U had.

I know it's Nintendo so they get away with it,  but i'm just so tired of it from all companies even though Sony does it way less. Their has to be a line.  At least with the windwaker games it was a remaster not a port, the graphics were amazingly redone. I mean.  I love the accesability of making old games fresh again but definitely not for the price of a brand new game a Dev just slaved over for 5 years like Red Dead.  Even Nintendo has never gone so far out as they have this gen.  They have ported over almost a whole console gen.  I will either be selling my Wii U or selling my switch and honestly i'm closer to selling the switch at this point.  I thought I bought a new console.  Outside of BOTW (also on Wii U) and odyssey I have a flashier, slimmer, portable Wii U.

I know I sound really bitter, but I remember a time when we got Super Mario World, Not Super Mario Bros 3 Ultimate edition.   ;D

Stop cheesing out Nintendo.   Stop with the ports.  Nobody here would buy a 2009 Honda for 2019 Honda price.  This is not an industry exclusive thing.  Old things aren't new. 

Sorry if this comes off mad or mean to Nintendo but I just wanted to rant about this and the topic has arrised :).  I don't mind it for people who want to try the games.  I just really wish for the sake of the new comers, the games would be 40 dollars or 20 considering they aren't new games. I find it borderline offensive they charge the exact same price for an old game.  But maybe i'm overreacting :D

« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 10:13:51 am by marvelvscapcom2 »

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2019, 10:32:03 am »
The collector in me says nope, we're good on the ports, let's keep some of the good stuff on Wii U so I can justify my owning one ;)

The reasonable person in me thinks pretty much all of the titles OP listed should/will see ports. MvC2 is right, it's last & annoying that there's so many ports- but it is a cheap way for Nintendo to keep the hype-train rolling while they scramble to get out the new stuff we want to see. While it's ramping down now, I do think this was always part of the plan- the Wii U did poorly, so let's just bring the good games to our weird new system. If people like it, great, we'll make new games. If they don't, at least we didn't waste too much development money on it.

I do think the Fatal Frame game would be a great one to port, given how annoying it is to have such a big download on a system with such a small hard drive.

aliensstudios

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2019, 02:44:44 pm »
The collector in me says nope, we're good on the ports, let's keep some of the good stuff on Wii U so I can justify my owning one ;)

The reasonable person in me thinks pretty much all of the titles OP listed should/will see ports. MvC2 is right, it's last & annoying that there's so many ports- but it is a cheap way for Nintendo to keep the hype-train rolling while they scramble to get out the new stuff we want to see. While it's ramping down now, I do think this was always part of the plan- the Wii U did poorly, so let's just bring the good games to our weird new system. If people like it, great, we'll make new games. If they don't, at least we didn't waste too much development money on it.

I do think the Fatal Frame game would be a great one to port, given how annoying it is to have such a big download on a system with such a small hard drive.
Fatal Frame's gameplay pretty much needed the gamepad to act as the camera obscura though, similar to how Zombi U needed it. I'm not saying porting is out of the question but it would be severely watered down without it. 
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

gf78

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2019, 02:48:49 pm »
In a way, I think it's a bit unfair to criticize Nintendo for porting Wii U games to the Switch. Nobody had a problem with HD versions of Zelda games coming to Wii U from previous systems. The Switch ports of Wii U games are similar. The resolution & frame rates have been boosted and there are small additions here & there.

As for the cost, Nintendo games usually command high retail prices unless they release a greatest hits version.

I also think that it's a smart move to port these titles. Let's face it - the Wii U was a retail failure. Many of these great games didnt reach a wide audience. If you weren't a Nintendo diehard, chances are you never got to play these games. Should they be forgotten?  Left to rot on a system who's unfortunate name & confusing marketing meant they were generally overlooked?  I dont think so. They are better than 90% of the 3rd party, microtransaction-riddled deck getting churned out these days.

As for the library being mostly Wii U ports, I have to respectfully disagree. 1-2 Switch, Arms, Fire Emblem Warriors, Kirby Star Allies, Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (simultaneous release), Mario & Rabbids, Mario Tennis Aces, Nintendo Labo stuff, Octopath Traveler, Pokemon Let's Go Evee & Let's Go Pikachu, Snipperclips Plus, Splatoon 2, Starlink, Super Mario Odyssey, Super Mario Party, Super Smash Bros Ultimate,  Travis Strikes Again, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 & Torna the Golden Country are all new, Switch exclusives. Yoshi, Metroid Prime 4, Pokemon, Bayonetta 3, Fire Emblem three Houses, Luigi's Mansion 3, Town and Animal Crossing are all announced upcoming exclusives.

Those are all Switch-exclusive, compared to ports of DK Tropical Freeze, New Super Mario U Deluxe, Captain Toad, Bayonetta 2, Pokken Tournament, Hyrule Warriors and Mario Kart 8. Big difference and ALL of these ports are great games that DESERVE a second chance on a system that is selling 10 times better than their original, overlooked home.

PS:  For those counting, It breaks down like this for Switch Nintendo-published exclusives.

New Releases:  28 including announced, unreleased titles

Ports:  7, 8 if you want to count Zelda's simultaneous release
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 02:54:42 pm by gf78 »
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

gf78

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2019, 02:58:26 pm »
I would also like to point out that for the first time on a Nintendo system, games like Doom, Skyrim, Diablo 3, Ark, Fortnite and many others are available to those who would never had the opportunity to play them.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

azotam

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2019, 03:12:42 pm »
I would also like to point out that for the first time on a Nintendo system, games like Doom, Skyrim, Diablo 3, Ark, Fortnite and many others are available to those who would never had the opportunity to play them.

This might be slightly off topic but wasn't the original Doom (1993) ported to the SNES.
Still updating collection.

gf78

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2019, 04:54:21 pm »

This might be slightly off topic but wasn't the original Doom (1993) ported to the SNES.

Yes, but I was talking about the new Doom. Just modern multiplatform games that the series & developers have traditionally steered clear of Nintendo. And while yes - they are older last gen titles for the most part, they look & play pretty damn good on the go!

Agozer

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2019, 03:02:58 pm »
They can port whatever they want, I'm not going to buy it though. I own a good chunk of the Wii U library and pretty much without exception it's the superior place to play all of the Switch ports I've tried. I'd honestly just rather them make sequels instead of porting more games. That's why I'm not really into the Switch, it just feels like every game that comes out is a port.
I have to agree. As a Wii U owner, the Switch hasn't grabbed me at all, and while its exclusives are fine, they haven't enticed me to buy one. Some of Nintendo decisions on formfactor/hardware design, and software/firmware design in the Switch itself irk me.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 03:06:31 pm by Agozer »

astralorange

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2019, 10:44:00 am »
100% understand the hate of all the Wii U porting. But I also completely understand why Nintendo is doing it.
1. Wii U sold poorly and thus a lot of people missed out on these great games - and also should note that these games are great, they're not just porting junk over to the Switch.
2. Yes these games are old news to people who owned a Wii U and a Switch,  but to people who never owned a Wii U, these games are new to them.
3. Wii U was not portable, Switch is. Playing these games on a portable is reason enough to rebuy these games for some, I know I include myself in that.

I will agree they should be priced lower than a full $60 given that these games are several years old. I get that. It's a bit ridiculous that years-old games get full $60 price tags like Diablo III, Skyrim, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, New Super Marip Bros U Deluxe, DKC Tropical Freeze, etc. But in defense of the Switch, even without counting the Wii U ports, the system has more than enough to make itself worth owning. Even if you're not into indies. I guess the real winners of this gen would be those who didn't have Wii U and are into indies and last gen's 3rd party stuff from other consoles. A lot of the Switch's games are rereleases of old games and believe me I get the hate for that. But most of the games being rereleased are good, this gives new people to try these games, also having them portable, and if you look at the library in total, it's already massive. Not to mention the fact that most of the Wii U ports outsold their original releases and that Switch has sold almost double in 2 years to what Wii U's lifetime sales were. So my advice is if you don't like the Wii U ports, don't buy them.

Going all the way back to the original question though, I'd love to see a port of Pikmin 3, and really that's the only one I really REALLY want to see. We will inevitably see Mario 3D World though I'm sure of it, which was a great game, but I don't count on seeing Woolly World since we got a 3DS port, nor Pikmin 3 since it relied heavily on the gamepad. We are very close to seeing the end of Wii U ports, I feel. I would definitely prefer brand new games over ports, don't get me wrong, but I do feel the existence of these ports are warranted.

telly

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2019, 11:32:54 am »
Pikmin 3 is my favorite game on the Wii U by far. It and Captain Toad were the only games that I felt took full advantage of the GamePad while still being fun
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

kashell

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2019, 11:47:17 am »
There are two: Xenoblade Chronicles X and Kirby Rainbow Curse.

The reason is so I can give my Wii U and those two games away and clear up some space.

telly

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2019, 11:55:31 am »
Oo yeah Xenoblade X is another one of my favorites on the system
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

kashell

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2019, 12:37:08 pm »
I haven't even played it yet. A Switch option would be amazing.

telly

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2019, 01:50:44 pm »
I honestly liked it more than the first Xenoblade Chronicles but that's just my tastes shining through.
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

kashell

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2019, 08:21:02 am »
I honestly liked it more than the first Xenoblade Chronicles but that's just my tastes shining through.
I didn't care for the first Xenoblade, either. Maybe this one will be different.