Author Topic: Why Do Some Of You Have 2 Of The Same Game In Collection? Or Console Version?  (Read 6700 times)

mark1982

I usually get duplicates if I find a game in better condition of the one I currently have. I don't keep the duplicate either, I sell it or trade it in, etc.

Other than that the only dupes I keep in my collection is when I get a digital game, then a physical gets announced at a later time, then I get the physical version as well.
  l    l 

Personally, I just have better peace of mind if I have at least two copies of certain games, usually the rarer one. It means that if something happens to the first, I still have another copy on hand. These days I also leave my physical games sealed and just get a digital version for playing.

Personally, I just have better peace of mind if I have at least two copies of certain games, usually the rarer one. It means that if something happens to the first, I still have another copy on hand. These days I also leave my physical games sealed and just get a digital version for playing.
I usually get duplicates if I find a game in better condition of the one I currently have. I don't keep the duplicate either, I sell it or trade it in, etc.

Other than that the only dupes I keep in my collection is when I get a digital game, then a physical gets announced at a later time, then I get the physical version as well.
I don't have duplicates. It's pretty easy for me to understand having more than one copy though ... better condition disc/box/inserts/manual for starters. The pure scarcity of a title for another.

Most my duplicates are only for games that are broken or have disc rot (And I forgot to throw them out), I cannot fit or afford to own multiple copies only to have them, It's just me I guess I don't like to horde have them because I am trying to be considerate toward other collectors and I don't have to need or the space for duplicates :(

I got two of the same golf games for the PS2 one is sealed but I don't remember how exactly I got the sealed copy, and sometimes I get excited over price of something I already had by mistake :-\
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 04:27:32 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

I have a few duplicates of games.

A few of them are due to problems with games playing. I have two Shenmue games because I thought the game wasn't working. Now I think it's my Dreamcast. I don't need either of them now at this point since my boyfriend bought the Shenmue 1+2 for PS4. I also have two Ape Escape 1's for PS1 because my first copy is too scratched to play. I have two Adventure Time Explore the Dungeon games (one for PS3 and one for 3DS). I have those because the PS3 one doesn't work.

I have multiple copies of Need for Speed Carbon because I got them in a bundle deal at a yard sale. Why they had multiple copies? Idk.

I might have other duplicates but I can't think of any others at the moment.

Basically, most of mine were not bought with the INTENT of having several copies.

With the exception of I have both original versions of Disgaea games AND the PC or PS Vita versions. I got the originals, and then later upgraded to the superior versions since they have additional content. I just haven't bothered getting rid of the originals yet.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 06:20:19 pm by jirachiswishes »

Final Fantasy IV is the game I have the most copies of. SNES, Wii VC, PS1, GBA and PSP. And this is to preserve the 2D version, which Square is ignoring in favor of the ugly 3D remake.

pizzasafari

And this is to preserve the 2D version, which Square is ignoring in favor of the ugly 3D remake.

Hear hear!

I went through a brief stint trying to collect every release of Final Fantasy, but stopped when I realized that meant multiple copies of Final Fantasy 13. One of these days I might go purge superfluous titles, but I'm too lazy to now.

Lunar: Silver Star is one of my favorite RPGs, and is radically different with each variant, so it's worth having them all.

I bought a copy of Burgertime without looking it over too well- I thought it was for Intellivision, but it was for 2600. It also turned out I already had it on Intellivision. So I said screw it & proceeded to buy Burgertime for every pre-NES console I have, just to be stupid. Maybe I'll expand that someday to include NES & beyond, just to be silly.

I don’t have too many same title games that are cross platform. I have a lot of collectors editions and standard editions of the same game though. I usually open the standard and keep the CE sealed.

From a collectors stand point, I guess it could be viewed kind of like baseball cards. Same player, same year, different brand (fleer, topps, donruss etc)...same thing? Not exactly.

A few reasons why I have a ton of duplicates.

1. One to open and play and the other to stay new/sealed to collect.
2. Different versions (standard, gold, etc)
3. Different console releases (like someone mentioned earlier, like playing on multiple platforms)
4. It was cheap (and better to replace a lesser quality copy in my collection)
5. Predicting them being rarer later on

I've been doing a lot of #1 and #3 lately. 

haloofthesun

I have a few duplicates. Obviously, remakes don't really count. I don't think compilations do, either. Final Fantasy IV is a part of both categories. The SNES, DS, and PSP versions are all different enough that owning copies of each isn't a big deal.

Then there's "Game of the Year" versions, or whatever, where oftentimes getting those copies is the same value or better than getting all the DLC. So for games like Borderlands and L.A. Noire I have two copies just because I already had the base games when they came out, but never got the DLC. The GOTY editions were waay cheaper later on than getting the DLC individually.

I also have two copies of Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, one on PS2 and one on Gamecube. This is because my PS2 would no longer read the disc. I didn't just get rid of the game though because it's the PS2, not the disc. So I just snagged a Gamecube copy at a yard sale for probably about $1.

Otherwise I don't bother with duplicates. I don't care about keeping a copy sealed and using another to play, or anything like that.

i usually do if i need a upgrade to a copy i already have or if i really love a game then ill buy variants or ill buy it for each system i have.

BinaryMessiah

Usually, I only do this for a series I truly love. For example, I own every single version of every Mortal Kombat game on every system except for the last two releases. Before I had a high-end gaming PC I solely gamed on consoles my whole life until about 10 years ago, so I rebought a lot of games that were for consoles on Steam. Sometimes I just had a version that I played when it was released, but later bought it on another console that it was best for. For example, I rebought ALL of my PS2 games on the original Xbox as I never had an Xbox growing up and all the multi-platform titles run best on that system. Some games I bought have different cover art or were released at different times on different system with different features or collector's editions. There's lots of reasons.

For series I have a great fondest to compared to others like:

Metal Gear Solid
Resident Evil
Dark Souls
Final Fantasy
Mortal Kombat

I wont get into details in what ways but thats my primary reason. While I do have duplicates of the exact games only on different consoles, its only a few but also temporary for the time being.

turf

PRO Supporter

I do it. I buy the same game for different systems just because I collect games.

pzeke

It’s all a numbers game, my friend. That, and hoarding. Some people use collecting as an excuse to hoard, regardless of hobby. "I wasn't gonna leave it there for 25¢/50¢/75¢!", "I'll pick this up everyday for a dollar!" are some of the most common phrases collectors tend to use as their excuse to hoard. Just because it costs you less than what you would pay for a loaf of bread doesn’t mean you need it. You don’t need countless Maddens or all those crappy Wii shovelware games, or the umpteenth copy of the same game for a different console.

I personally have a few duplicates, but not because I looked for them. For instance I have a copy of the PC version of Final Fantasy VII, which I got in a lot. I was going to sell it, but it makes for good shelf candy. Same with Robot Alchemic Drive for the PS2; I bought a copy on eBay that turned out to be a dud, which I ended up keeping after the seller seemingly disappeared from the face of the Earth. I also own a Greatest Hits copy of Mega Man Legends and Metal Gear Solid of which I also own the original black label versions, but keep the other two because of the sentimental value they have. Any other duplicates I have I keep with the intent of selling.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!