Author Topic: Why Do Some Of You Have 2 Of The Same Game In Collection? Or Console Version?  (Read 6697 times)

pzeke

I was going through my PS2 games, and just realized Astérix & Obélix: Kick Buttix is the NA version of Astérix & Obélix XXL. So, great, I have a dupe. I originally got it off of eBay after a delivery mishap where the seller told me to choose a game of equal value and that essentially was the only one that caught my eye. Regardless, I tend to research every game I purchase, so I can't believe I overlooked this.

Oh well, spilled milk.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

Then there's "Game of the Year" versions, or whatever, where oftentimes getting those copies is the same value or better than getting all the DLC. So for games like Borderlands and L.A. Noire I have two copies just because I already had the base games when they came out, but never got the DLC. The GOTY editions were waay cheaper later on than getting the DLC individually.

When it comes to GotY Editions, I have always gone on to sell my original Edition of the game (Unless it is a Steelbook or something fancy). Using LA Noire as an example, I had the Original Edition, then later got the Complete Edition & Sold my Original Edition. However, I have since got the PS4 Remaster of LA Noire, yet I have kept my Complete Edition on PS3! If I ever play the game again, I'm sure the PS4 version will be the choice I pick but I like having the PS3 version for that console + if in the future I may have a separate set up for each console I'd feel better have the Complete Edition accessible on the PS3.

I know it is excessive but at least I have the gaul to let go of the Original Editions - I did this recently with NieR Automata with their up coming GotY Edition.

pzeke

That's essentially the same reason why I sold both MGS2: Sons of Liberty and MGS3: Snake Eater after getting Substance and Subsistence, receptively. Only thing that gave the former any form of worth to my collection was their manuals since they were completely different.

I think, unless you're a hardcore collector, selling older/outdated versions of games should be common practice with everyone.

When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.

I pick up a lot of my games at thrift stores, so I will grab all the games they have no matter what and if it turns out I have the same game on a different platform I still keep it. I've been collecting for 21 years, and collecting games is my passion. Always excited to add a new game to my home, and never had issues with space. I always love building a nice evened-out collection, and it feels good finding games that you don't have yet for a platform. It's also part of completionism for a particular platform. I've heard of a friend of a friend that has every PS3 game released in North America except for about a dozen left to find. Also certain games play better on one platform than others.  I have Need For Speed Carbon on every platform it was released on, and it's cool to see how it was developed to handle each system's hardware. It is most certainly not "hoarding" (funny how UK gamers love to bash USA gamers about this).

pzeke

While organizing my PS2 games, I realized I have a few more duplicates: a second copy of Legacy of Kain: Defiance, which has a blemish on the face of the disc (it's small, but I’m unsure if it affects the game in some way—I would have to play it fully to know); a sealed copy of Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories; and a sealed black label copy of Shadow of the Colossus that I got in two different lots years ago; a sealed copy of God Hand, as well as a sealed copy of Summon Night: Swordcraft Story, the first print of Front Mission, and Mega Man ZX both sealed for the GBA and NDS respectively that Amazon sent me by mistake. The latter was back in 2008-09 when I used to buy a lot from Amazon, and they in turn screwed a bunch of my orders (more on that on another topic). Good times.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 04:44:50 pm by pzeke »

sworddude

That's essentially the same reason why I sold both MGS2: Sons of Liberty and MGS3: Snake Eater after getting Substance and Subsistence, receptively. Only thing that gave the former any form of worth to my collection was their manuals since they were completely different.

I think, unless you're a hardcore collector, selling older/outdated versions of games should be common practice with everyone.

i'd say in the wiiu ps3 xbox 360 era and up selling outdated versions of games might even be a thing for more serious collectors.

look at for example wii u titles having same games on switch with better grapics and extra content.
or say ps3 and xbox 360 with GOTY editions of games with all dlc and such.

before there was a reason to have duplicates of sames since there where differences between games but nowadays it's just straight up better and way more common thanks to dlc and definetive editions.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

pzeke

i'd say in the wiiu ps3 xbox 360 era and up selling outdated versions of games might even be a thing for more serious collectors.

look at for example wii u titles having same games on switch with better grapics and extra content.

before there was a reason to have duplicates of sames since there where differences between games but nowadays it's just straight up better and way more common thanks to dlc and definetive editions.

Indeed. For example, I just recently acquired the GOTYE of Red Dead Redemption, so I sold the original release and Undead Nightmare.

Overall, I will usually wait until a definitive edition gets released; it feels far more practical.

Indeed. For example, I just recently acquired the GOTYE of Red Dead Redemption, so I sold the original release and Undead Nightmare.

Overall, I will usually wait until a definitive edition gets released; it feels far more practical.

Would never do that because a lot of the times the enhanced editions cut stuff out.

ferraroso

I was pretty sure that I had already replied to this topic a long time ago...
Oh well...

Basically, in my case, if it is a game I really like or that has some personal relevance for me (such as the King of Fighters '98, of which I own versions released for the Neo Geo AES, Neo Geo CD, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, Saturn and Dreamcast, for example), I like to own it in as many different consoles as I can.

Other than that, I only buy duplicates when I find them for very cheap (like under ¥500 or so) and I usually give them to some friend or trade for something else I want.

koemo1

PRO Supporter

I really need three CD-I systems!
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

I usually don't keep duplicates unless there's some notable difference in the games- for example, I techinically have 3 copies of Shadow of the Colossus: the original, the remaster, and the remake. Very little difference in content, but graphics changed & I love that game, so I keep them all. I also tend to keep console/portable variants- they're usually different, but even when they're not the portable makes a big enough difference to hang onto. Otherwise, I give away spares- when I got the upgraded versions of Horizon: Zero Dawn & Final Fantasy 15, the originals went to my fiancé & his siblings. We've actually got a couple of copies of Monster Hunter World floating around with no purpose, since everyone bought the Master Edition with Iceborne. Not sure what we'll do with those- there's no one to give them away to in our group anymore!

I do keep multiple copies of one game around- Burgertime. I screwed up & bought an Atari version of the game thinking it was an Intellivision version (I really wasn't paying attention.) When I got home, I found out I'd made that mistake & I already had the Intellivision cart anyway. So I said to myself "You know what? Screw it- I collect Burgertime carts now!" I now have that game on Atari 2600, Intellivision, Colecovision, Atari 7800 (in the 'beef drop' homebrew), and NES. I need to pick up that Burgertime Party game on Switch once it gets cheap.

pzeke

How about this one?

The Walmart I go to has them on clearance for $5; I thought of getting one, but I've never really liked the game that much.

Warmsignal

I actually have an OCD hang-up about buying the same game across multiple platforms. I don't like to do it, as a general rule. I don't even care for crossing a specific series between different platforms even when it's an entirely different game. On most occasions, I'll never re-buy the same game unless I come across one in better condition than mine. In such a case, I'll usually end up keeping the beater copy just because it's usually not worth any money. I don't sell unless it's going to pay off, otherwise I'll hold onto the extras I have and put them into storage somewhere.

In very rare cases I will break my general rule and buy multiple different ports of the same game because I like the game so well. Like for example, if you are a Doom fan, you would probably like to own all of the many various ports of Doom. Even though it's the same game, you just want to see how differently it plays, or what minor changes were made to each version. On rare occasion, I will do something like that. In most cases, it's one version for me. Multiplats usually go to my multiplat console of choice, and the other consoles tend to be more about the exclusives unless a version is known to be superior.

doafan

This indeed a good question so here are my answers, I own three copies of Animal Crossing New Leaf because one of them belongs to my daughter, the second to my wife and the third for myself, own two copies of Animal Crossing Home Designers because purchased first the physical version for my daughter, months later I purchased her a New Nintendo 3DS which came with a pre instaled version of the same title, so the physical version now belongs to my wife, got two E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial and Moon Patrol copies because my Atari cartridges were a gift from a friend and I dont want to sell these games, got two digital copies of Layers of Fear because they were free, same thing happened with Q.U.B.E. 2, got two copies of Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance because purchased first the physical version and then they give me free the digital one, got two Resident Evil 4 because I purchased the physical the day of it's release and years later puchased the digital one because it got an awesome discount, same thing happened with Resident Evil Code Veronica, my two cartridges of Super Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt were a gift as well  ;D

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

How about this one?

The Walmart I go to has them on clearance for $5; I thought of getting one, but I've never really liked the game that much.

I've thought about it- but so far I've only got carts, not stand-alone devices. I suppose if I ever stumble across one of these cheap enough, then I'll branch out.