Author Topic: How do you store controllers and cables?  (Read 1682 times)

blipcs76

How do you store controllers and cables?
« on: April 13, 2012, 09:37:18 am »
Just curious how everyone around here has their controllers and cables organized.  I only have just four systems hooked up at once (NES/PS2/Wii/XBox360), so whenever I wanted to play another console I'd have to rummage through a huge storage tote packed full of cables and controllers looking for the right ones.

I finally got fed up with that, especially since it wasn't just a scavenger hunt, but every time something went into the tote it wrapped itself into the mess of cables, locking in place so I get to have the adventure of untangling it when I wanted to play again.  So I bought a bunch of small Sterilite storage containers, one for each console, labelled each on the end, and put the controllers and cables for each system into it's own single small box.  However, some systems I just have too much stuff to fit into one container (Genesis), or the controllers are so massive or awkward they don't fit well inside (DC/N64/etc.)  So I'll need to either get larger containers for those systems or figure something else out.

I'm interested to know how everyone here stores their controllers, cables and accessories.

darko

Re: How do you store controllers and cables?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 09:44:37 am »
Well my setup is a little different but I just store extra cables and controllers in those fabric bins that you can buy that fit into the cube style cabinets (since that's what I use for my games). I've see a lot of people store them in shoe organizers that you can hang on the back of a door. That's what I would do if I had a closet in my game room.

soera

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 11:06:14 am »
I have 2 game console organizers that Best Buy used to sell. I run the cables through the back through a 4 way signal splitter and the controllers hang from special holders on the front. The AC cords are all plugged into a power strip which sits in the foot rest my GX tv sits on. Any other extra stuff I have is either in a Nintendo chest or hangs from thumb tacks above my TV. I will eventually get pics up of my room that are actually clear enough to look at!

scott

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 11:30:07 am »
I have my NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Xbox, Xbox 360 and PS3 all hooked up at the moment. The ones with wired controllers all have 1 controller plugged in and the ones that have wireless controllers or dvd remotes, I keep in a wicker bin on my coffee table. When I store a system I usually keep all the consoles in a plastic bin and all the wires in another plastic bin with each systems cables and extra controllers in labels ziploc bags.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

matt

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 12:06:31 pm »
I have giant boxes of unorganized stuff. ha. Hopefully that'll change soon.

amauriel

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 01:15:41 pm »
I do something similar to what you have. I've got a different tote box for every console, that contains the system if it isn't hooked up and all the connectors. This also works when I've got a box like my SNES box. I've got an original SNES and a slim, those are both in the box with almost all my controllers, hookups, and peripherals. Then connected to the TV is just the RetroDuo and the two controllers.

Then if I only have a few games for the system (CD-i, 3DO, TurboGrafx) I put those in the same box. Otherwise, I get those flatter tote boxes just for the games. I got clear boxes so I could easily see what was inside, and I bought a bunch all at once so they all match and stack well. I probably have close to 30 of these boxes.

Makes it really easy when I get in the mood for something specific..."Hmm, I want to play ColecoVision!" One box, two max, and I'm connected and enjoying. It's not ideal as I'd love to someday have everything connected, but for a person living in a townhouse this works very well.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 01:56:29 pm »
I do the plastic bin thing as well. I keep everything oddly separated though. The AV cords, RF adapters, AC adapters, wired controllers, and wireless controllers all grouped in seperate bins that are stashed in the closet.
For the 9 or so systems that are hooked up i have 1 wired controller plugged in to each system at all times. That way im not hunting for a controller when I have a retro hankering

jobocan

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 01:59:52 pm »
They're in my clothes drawers. I used to have clothes and other crap in there, but I threw away a ton of stuff and moved the clothes and now they hold controllers. I also have plastic bins under my bed with wheels under so I can roll them out, where I store certain games and currently unused consoles with the cables I need in there.

atariboy

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 02:02:56 pm »
I also use an old dresser drawer that I placed in the closet so I can close the closet door and it is out of view. works really well for me.
Now Playing: Lollipop Chainsaw

jcalder8

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 12:37:17 am »
I use two of the plastic containers with drawers in them that way I have them sorted by system.

hexen

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 07:34:14 am »
I have several locations for my stuff depending on use. My always plugged in systems are of course wired all the times. The controls that go to each of my commonly used systems are on one of those shoe holding things that you hand on your door for easy access.

The controllers I don't use (Mainly a bunch of random NES ones) I keep in a big plastic bin which is more-or-less inaccessible without a bit of effort. Each systems power supply and TV hookups are in a plastic ziplock bag with a piece of ducktape stuck on it with the name of the system the cords go to, and all these ziplocks are in a cardboard box that I have fairly easy access to.
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!