Author Topic: Did you ever Fall out of Gaming for a while and why did you get back into it?  (Read 2949 times)

shfan

When I was in my late teens/early 20s, alcohol and fraternizing with women of the opposite sex seemed mad important, but that quickly faded away, particularly the alcohol! Now I don't drink anything, have Mrs SHFan for company and like a bit of the old video-gaming when I have time.

pzeke

[...] Now I don't drink anything, [...]

Not even water?

Damn, that's hardcore.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

shfan

Ha! Nice  :D

azotam

I would say around 2011 or so. By that time I was only exposed to games from my local store which used to sell games at an exhuberant price. I wouldn't get back fully until late 2016, when I purchased The Witcher 3 and whilst my opinion about the game changed, it did aid to rekindle my passion.
Still updating collection.

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

Since I got my Atari 2600 back when I was 5 or so, there’s never been a time when I wasn’t playing. I was so unpopular in high school no girl would look at me twice, so I had to do something to keep me occupied ;)

It’s only slowed down over the last few years, after my kids were born. I don’t play until my kids go to bed, and naturally the kids get priority when it comes to money so I haven’t bought a current-gen console yet ($300-400 plus $60 per game is a lot of frickin’ money). I’ve been playing mostly older stuff and concentrating on setting up a place to play my old consoles that won’t display on my HDTV (240p output).

1992-2010, wasn't into gaming at all. Someone gave me a free dreamcast with games around 2001, and I did play it a little....really just played shadowman and timestalkers. I was into college, hanging out and being social for 18 years. Enough of that! LOL.

Edit: Clarifying- not 18 years of college, that was just the 1st few of the 18 ;)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 11:21:14 am by wolff242 »

I took a break a few years back due to some local and nearby collectors just plain being jerks.

I took a break when I bought my house.

I tried to take a break when I had a kid.

Trying to take a break now/soon.

Never completely fell out of gaming yet but have thought about it
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

shatterstar69

I don’t think I have ever really stopped playing games but there have been times where I played them sparingly; I flunked a year of college playing FFXI Online; and I served a mission for the LDS church
in which we were not allowed a lot of free time.  Anyways, today I do my best to stay away from MMO’s and also CCG’s (they are too big of a time and money sink)
Time to make the donuts!

mark1982

Since I got my Atari 2600 back when I was 5 or so, there’s never been a time when I wasn’t playing. I was so unpopular in high school no girl would look at me twice, so I had to do something to keep me occupied ;)

It’s only slowed down over the last few years, after my kids were born. I don’t play until my kids go to bed, and naturally the kids get priority when it comes to money so I haven’t bought a current-gen console yet ($300-400 plus $60 per game is a lot of frickin’ money). I’ve been playing mostly older stuff and concentrating on setting up a place to play my old consoles that won’t display on my HDTV (240p output).

I hear ya, my first kid is on the way. I know it will drastically change my playing habits as it did after I got married as well. But I am definitely prepared for it, family comes first so once everything settles down again and I free up some time, I will still manage to find some time to play some games ( hopefully )  ;D
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 01:48:44 pm by mark1982 »
  l    l 

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

I hear ya, my first kid in on the way. I know it will drastically change my playing habits as it did after I got married as well. But I am definitely prepared for it, family comes first so once everything settles down again and I free up some time, I will still manage to find some time to play some games ( hopefully )  ;D

Yeah, having kids definitely changes a lot of things. It took me a while to get used to the fact that I couldn’t play whenever I felt like, though I knew it was coming so over a few months before my twins were born, I spent a lot of time finally finishing Final Fantasy VIII and IX, which I had left unfinished for years.

I don’t think I have ever really stopped playing games but there have been times where I played them sparingly; I flunked a year of college playing FFXI Online; and I served a mission for the LDS church
in which we were not allowed a lot of free time.
I got put on academic probation because of Doom II, Myst, and The 7th Guest :p

I have cooled off from gaming as a whole but I think my idea of cooling off or taking a break is still much more obsessive than most average consumers.  Currently I might play 1-2 hours a day,  if a new game comes out I will binge it for 6 hours per day easy.  But contrasted to when I was a teenager, easily 10 hours per day on FPS and online games.  Simply just being a shut in.  I'd say it's better this way :)

I have gotten to a point before where games were more of a medicine than a fun thing. Pits of depression and anxiety that it felt more like a escape. And I started not liking most games but still had to play them anyway to cope as I couldn't figure anything else out.  This was early in high school.  I started being so bored of them and felt like every game was bad.  Than I thought I was outgrowing them.   But I'd say what got me back into them after that was reevaluating my life, finding myself and getting into a more sound mental state.    I was pretty anxious and in a rut then.   I'd play games for hours on end and forget the outside world.   I certainly always had social life and bathed and such.  But I think I have definitely crossed the line of excessive.  So it's best to take breaks when it gets that bad.   If I don't fall out of gaming every now and then, I end up hating it.  The break keeps it exciting. :)

gf78

I've had several times where my heart just wasn't in it anymore. The first was in late 1992. I was just out of high school and got my first "real" girlfriend. By that, I mean my first nookie. Lol. And it was all I thought about. So my SNES, my Genesis and my comic collection took a big backseat. A year later, I moved on and met my first wife. Her mom was a big gamer and we played a lot of SNES games. That lasted about six months, but the only game I personally bought in that time period was Contra III.

I took another break until the end of 95 when I got my first PlayStation. I also got a Saturn from my friend in early 98. I kept gaming hardcore until about 2007 when my 360 red-ringed playing Bioshock. I quit gaming for the most part again for a few years until around when Halo Reach came out.

I've had small stints of not playing since then until January 2017 when we found out my wife was pregnant. I sold almost all of my collection. My PS4 and Xbox One sat unloved. My Wii and Wii U were tucked away in their boxes. It wasnt until my wife got me the NES and SNES Classics that my love was rekindled. Then I got the Switch and the collector in me went back into overdrive.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us