Author Topic: Spider-Man PS4 name  (Read 1997 times)

tripredacus

Spider-Man PS4 name
« on: September 11, 2018, 10:31:05 am »
Let's talk about the new Spider-man game that is on PS4. GameFAQs has the name as Marvel's Spider-Man however this particular name does not show up on the front or back of the US game case. If anyone has this game, can you post a picture of what is on the spine?

Is it the same as the front, the Marvel logo and the Spider-Man text, or is there actually a possessive present?

Ref: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps4/191635-marvels-spider-man/images/1619251

PS: if you have other releases of this game from other countries, you can post it also.

EDIT: The NA and "EU" game are already renamed, according to our game naming policy.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 02:06:20 pm by tripredacus »

tripredacus

Re: Spider-Man PS4 name
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 12:51:34 pm »
The reason for this topic is if it actually does say Marvel's Spider-Man on the physical item, we do not need to put that information into the description. That was why I was asking for pictures. If pictures show this name is not on the item, we will update descriptions.

But if people want the name of the item to have a name exception, we can do that also.

This topic was required to be made due to these two facts:
1. Users are doing edit wars on the releases of this game to change it to/from Spider-Man/ Marvel's Spider-Man
2. Users are create duplicates of the game using the name that is not currently in the database (whichever it happens to be at the time)

This is videogame database discussion. You chose your own level of involvement.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 01:46:08 pm »
Marvel will put its name on it, that will be surtain. I don't know if its the original/real name of the game.

tripredacus

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 02:07:52 pm »
Cleaned up thread to remove replies to deleted posts.

I will look on Ebay later to see what I can see, but usually people don't put pictures of spines on there.

tripredacus

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 03:35:24 pm »
So far, regarding US releases...

PS4 retail game and NFR from the console pack:
front: Marvel Spider-Man (or just Spider-Man with accompanying Marvel logo)
back: no game name
spine: same as front
disc: no game name

European and Australian regular game and NFRs are the same as US versions.

PS4 Collector's Edition US
same as the game, except the back does say "Marvel's Spider-Man" when referring to the the statue and the DLC. It refers to the included game as "The PS4 Game."

PS4 Collector's Edition for Middle East/Africa
refers to the game as "Full Game" and uses Marvel's Spider-Man referring to all of the included content besides the game.

PS4 Collector's Edition for Europe (English text)
refers to the game as "Full Game" and uses Marvel's Spider-Man referring to the statue only.

PS4 Special Edition for Europe (English/UK)
does not have Marvel's Spider-Man anywhere.

PS4 console pack
does not apply for our database, as it has an item number (CUH-71158) and color (Amazing Red).
If it exists in the db or needs to be created, it would have this name:
Sony PlayStation 4 Pro CUH-71158 (Amazing Red)

Can't find a EU or other region console pack.

So are we fine to put a note in the description of these games that the name "Marvel's Spider-Man" is just the trade name used on Sony's website and that this specific name does not exist on the physical item itself?

Or do we put Spider-Man as the title and put Marvel's Spider-Man into alt-name?

tripredacus

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 10:39:12 am »
Here are our existing entries. I have updated them to include the required naming information in description. For an instance when we put a game into the database following the general naming rule, and the "common name" is not what is actually on the product, then this is required. If you don't do it when you make an entry, that just means someone else will have to do it in the future.

Don't forget that there will always be the option of creating a naming exception, such as what we have done with some other games and will be doing for BLOPS4 akin to Resident Evil 7...

Put the UK EANs on the EU entries, as they were created (as usual, just ask fazerco) as generic.

PS4 [NA] needs item number and barcode:
https://vgcollect.com/item/106250

PS4 [EU] Collector's Edition needs item number. Fixed front/back box art as the original advertised packaging doesn't seem to exist.
https://vgcollect.com/item/142488

PS4 [PL] Display version. Removed TLD and translation from title. Put translation into alt-name field.
https://vgcollect.com/item/149796

PS4 [EU] Special Edition needs verification of item number. The number I put is from the back of the box, unable to find spine picture.
https://vgcollect.com/item/142487

PS4 [EU] regular version needs item number.
https://vgcollect.com/item/119419

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 12:09:01 am »
The game itself is named Marvel's Spider-Man on the PS4 menu, so I personally went with that.

soera

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 04:41:26 pm »
Just came here to deal with this. There is 2 different Marvel items. 1 - an item with Marvel in the actual name such as Marvel vs Capcom. If you call the game vs Capcom, its just not right. 2 - A game featuring a Marvel character such as the topic. It should never be listed as Marvel's Spider-man. We dont do this for Spyro or Mario or anything. No one says Sony's Spyro or Nintendo's Mario, we shouldnt call this game Marvel's Spider-man.

tripredacus

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 09:11:26 am »
We can tell a change in trends regarding what is and what isn't an official name with modern games. And that is that the name of the Digital release is the "real" name of the item, despite what it actually on the game. We see this with "Marvel's" Spider-Man as well as other games such as Resident Evil 7 (digital name) vs Resident Evil VII (physical/logo name) and Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 (digital name) vs Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII.

I also agree that the Marvel logo (for the same reasons why I ignore Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks/etc) should not count as part of the title on the physical item listings but the userbase voted on using reference sites for contentious game titles. So that is why it is named as such in the database. And that is why we do it with this... but I do see a potential situation where our two main reference sites use different names...

GameFaqs = Marvel's Spider-Man
Mobygames = Marvel Spider-Man

If one of those two sites drops the Marvel or Marvel's, then we can do the same. Otherwise we would have to run a "common name exception" vote and follow through with which option wins... and hope it isn't one that has Marvel in it.  ;)

telly

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 09:15:08 am »
I mean the official PlayStation store calls it Marvel's Spider-Man so if we want to use something that's a little more official we can go with that....

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP9000-CUSA02299_00-MARVELSSPIDERMAN

These possessive parts of the name mostly come down to personal preference. We have no problem saying Tony Hawk's Pro Skater for example and I have no problem saying Marvel's Spider-Man. But again, that's my own opinion ;)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 09:16:48 am by telly »
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

tripredacus

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 09:17:43 am »
That is only valid for the PSN entries in the database. Names for games on digital platforms should match the names in the digital categories on VGC, no doubt. Minus any trademark symbols and of course the title should match our title formatting rather than be a copy/paste.

telly

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 09:23:08 am »
I'm not sure if we really should be excluding that though. If you can find me an example of the digital offering on the PSN being formatted differently than a physical copy of the same game in boot-up then I'll believe that argument, otherwise I think it's silly to exclude that evidence.

The examples you provided are all problematic only because of stylistic changes made to the games cover art. (at least from my understanding) RE VII, Black Ops 4, etc.

It seems to me that MobyGames usually airs more on the literal depiction of the cover art while GameFaqs doesn't, is that just me?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 09:36:02 am by telly »
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

tripredacus

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 09:45:51 am »
There is no dispute over the software contents of the physical media. The entry in the games category is for the physical item and not the software that is contained on the media.

To be accurate, Spider-Man contains the software titled Marvel's Spider-Man.