Author Topic: Game Cases for Digital Titles: Yay or Nay?  (Read 4782 times)

Re: Game Cases for Digital Titles: Yay or Nay?
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2019, 06:34:24 am »
I personally wont support digital games. (unless it's free or DLC)
I don't see any point of cases of games you don't own.

It's bad enough buying games that are online only, knowing one day it could be a dead game.

That just happened with the Carmageddon Forums. The Carmageddon franchise got sold off, and the purchasing company didn't want the forums or care to renew it, so they just let the domain expire, and a decade's worth of forums and community was wiped out with it. Anything digital with no tangible copy to play offline is at the will of the publisher/developer/licensee. I mean Gabe Newell could ragequit the internet tomorrow and close Steam if he chose to.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2019, 10:13:59 am »
On one hand it's something that makes it feel like you own a game and can actually show it off in the collection and I would love to do it for Bloodstained. On the other hand though I get pissed at companies when they do this kind of thing (original release of Ducktales remastered, Tomb Raider (forget the whole name off the top of my head)) and it also seems like the most unnecessary braggadocio you can do.

gf78

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2019, 11:04:22 am »
On one hand it's something that makes it feel like you own a game and can actually show it off in the collection and I would love to do it for Bloodstained. On the other hand though I get pissed at companies when they do this kind of thing (original release of Ducktales remastered, Tomb Raider (forget the whole name off the top of my head)) and it also seems like the most unnecessary braggadocio you can do.

Trust me, it has nothing to do with bragging. Lol. Two main reasons for me.

1:  Its a tangible, physical representation of something I love. I hate download only titles. Again, I understand when it's some tiny 2-man development team. The vast majority of indies are doing it because they love gaming and without a publisher with money, who can afford to make their own physical games?  On the other hand, dirty shit like Capcom, EA & Activision have been pulling where only half of the game is on the disc/cart with a voucher code for the rest is greedy bullshit. It's simply to curb sales of used games and consumers are the ones to get screwed. I would love to have all the Mega Man games on Switch. But I'll be damned if it doesnt piss me off to no end that half of them aren't on the carts. Especially since all 20 (or whatever) Mega Man & X games probably take up 10 megabytes of data total!  Same with the Crash & Spyro games. Making you download the 2nd and 3rd games is simply a way to stop people from buying used. Screw these guys.

2:  I love artwork. I can stare for hours or spend hours pouring through art books. The game case art was something that an artist worked on for many hours. I like to look at it and it deserves to bee seen.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

Flashback2012

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2019, 03:46:13 pm »
Generally speaking, no, I don't have a desire to own cases for digital games. There is one exception however and that's Cuphead for the XBOX One. The only reason it's the exception is because there is an actual case that was made with a voucher code inside. What sucks for me is that I had already purchased the game before I knew they were going to make this so in order to obtain it I would have to find someone who bought it and is willing to part with it or buy the case and be stuck with a 2nd code.  :-\

telly

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2019, 04:10:17 pm »
That castlevania artwork is amazing though!
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

topspot123

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2019, 04:19:50 pm »
topspot123 already had and discussed an idea like this, too.

Like I said there, I actually once wanted to do something like this, but it sincerely is a waste of space. Yeah, they'll make for good shelf candy, but that's all they're going to be. Empty cases taking up space that could be used for something else.

Thanks for the long memory!  Anyway, if any of you find this idea interesting and you want to learn more, I guy I subscribe to on YouTube made a recent video about this too.

Digital games have existed for a while. I'm not sure what about the Switch in particular has sprouted this kind of movement! 

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2019, 11:32:58 pm »
No. You obviously want physical copies but paying for digital distribution is a vote against physical copies, making your own cases gives the developer even more of an excuse to not give their games a physical release.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2019, 12:57:52 am »
No. You obviously want physical copies but paying for digital distribution is a vote against physical copies, making your own cases gives the developer even more of an excuse to not give their games a physical release.
I fail to see the logic in this since we have cases of games getting physical releases due to the popularity of the game digitally. Minecraft, Shovel Knight, anything that has gotten a physical release from companies like Limited Run Games.

braggadocio

Trust me, it has nothing to do with bragging.

Trust me I mainly just wanted to use the word braggadocio in a sentence.

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2019, 05:50:24 am »
I don't get the money and the time to do this tbh. Plus I got like 200 digital games so it's not happening lol