Author Topic: Opinions on Custom Reproduction Game Cases?  (Read 3071 times)

Re: Opinions on Custom Reproduction Game Cases?
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2019, 04:04:11 pm »
I only have one, as it came with the game when I purchased it, but I quite like it and am considering getting more. I'll keep my games in their original box if they have it, but getting these for my loose carts is certainly something I'm considering.

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2019, 05:57:59 pm »
They look cool if you have the space for it. I dont so Im fine keep my loose carts loose. I have however gotten custom cases for disc only games I own. The first one I bought was for Strider 2 on the PS. This was given to me by my friend and while he did have the complete case years back, it has since gone lost so a couple years ago I was on Ebay and found a nice custom case in DVD format and it looked nice so I got it. I have also since bought ones for Megaman X5 and X6 as well as Marvel Super Heroes when I bought them off of Gamestop. Granted the former 2 I did find them in their original everything at good prices months later.

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2019, 08:12:56 pm »
Majority of my N64, SNES, and Genesis games are in UGCs.  I consider frequently getting rid of them so I can have more space since I'm constantly running out of space.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2019, 03:53:09 pm »
My “good”/favorite SNES games are in these. I think they look clean and neat. Plus, I can get them out and play my games I like cardboard boxes.

A buddy of mine and myself split a carton of 100 of these jewels. It was a task to download all those covers and print them off. Thecoverproject.net is a lifesaver.

tpugmire

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2019, 07:01:41 pm »
I like the idea of them, but it always seemed like a pretty big financial investment that could otherwise be used for more games.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

gf78

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2019, 08:42:58 pm »
I like the idea of them, but it always seemed like a pretty big financial investment that could otherwise be used for more games.

Like I said, i only get them for the "best" games in my collection. Spending $25 for Zelda for the NES (cart only) and the custom case is a much better deal than spending $50 for the cart and a beat-up cardboard box.

Looking at something like Mario Party for the N64, I can get the original cart with the manual for $30, then another $5-ish for the custom case. The same game with a Less than perfect box is over $80.

Not trying to sell anyone on them, but they do look nice and protect my favorite games.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

kypherion

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2019, 11:04:55 pm »
I have them for my GBA games because those cases are pricey. Other than that I just go with a stock case for my games.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2019, 08:13:22 am »
Not only that, but they take up like double space.

Those are my two biggest regrets in going all in on UGC.  I spent like $0.80 a case, but I bought like 1,000 cases.  And if I didn't go UGC, I'd have so much more space for games in general.

But they sure do look nice... just wish more SNES games had horizontal covers ready to print.

sworddude

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2019, 08:50:04 am »

Like I said, i only get them for the "best" games in my collection. Spending $25 for Zelda for the NES (cart only) and the custom case is a much better deal than spending $50 for the cart and a beat-up cardboard box.

Looking at something like Mario Party for the N64, I can get the original cart with the manual for $30, then another $5-ish for the custom case. The same game with a Less than perfect box is over $80.

Not trying to sell anyone on them, but they do look nice and protect my favorite games.

you've got a great point there but a cib collector will still get an original cib copy and a lose cart collector will just never get a cib copy since the price is very high, the decision to get all your carts in custom cases or not won't make a difference.

Custom boxes will most likely almost exclusively be for lose cart collectors but there are also cib collectors who store them carts seperately for them to be ready to play. But that could be done more space efficiently and with simpler name lables not to mention for a cheaper price.

It really depends on how much you want to show of your collection so i can imagine that allot of people might just never get them since extra money is extra money not to mention that many people who collect everything especially cheap titles are probably no fans of spending more on the plastic boxes than the games that are inside them.

Also i might have missed it in some former messages on this particular topic but high quality colour prints and printer ink in general is also pretty pricy wich makes the total a bit higher per case.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 08:52:47 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

gf78

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2019, 12:58:39 pm »

you've got a great point there but a cib collector will still get an original cib copy and a lose cart collector will just never get a cib copy since the price is very high, the decision to get all your carts in custom cases or not won't make a difference.

Custom boxes will most likely almost exclusively be for lose cart collectors but there are also cib collectors who store them carts seperately for them to be ready to play. But that could be done more space efficiently and with simpler name lables not to mention for a cheaper price.

It really depends on how much you want to show of your collection so i can imagine that allot of people might just never get them since extra money is extra money not to mention that many people who collect everything especially cheap titles are probably no fans of spending more on the plastic boxes than the games that are inside them.

Also i might have missed it in some former messages on this particular topic but high quality colour prints and printer ink in general is also pretty pricy wich makes the total a bit higher per case.

It's just a matter of economics for me. In most instances, I cannot bring myself to spend $80 for the same game I can get for $30, simply because of a cardboard box. You are essentially paying $50 for a piece of cardboard that is usually all bent, torn & beat up as well. There are games where I will make an exception and if I find reasonably priced, complete in box Zelda games I will pick them up.

This only applies to games that originally came in a cardboard box. Anything from Gamecube up, I'll only buy if they are complete with manual, artwork and case.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

sworddude

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2019, 03:03:14 pm »

It's just a matter of economics for me. In most instances, I cannot bring myself to spend $80 for the same game I can get for $30, simply because of a cardboard box. You are essentially paying $50 for a piece of cardboard that is usually all bent, torn & beat up as well. There are games where I will make an exception and if I find reasonably priced, complete in box Zelda games I will pick them up.

This only applies to games that originally came in a cardboard box. Anything from Gamecube up, I'll only buy if they are complete with manual, artwork and case.

You got a great point there as far as savings go  but for a cib collector there is not really a solid reason why one needs a cib game especially if one where to explain this to a non cib collector.

A cib collector just wants to have it complete fully original. Using a cardboard box as storage for the cart is just not the reason why one would pay high amounts for just some cardboard.

There is absolutely no logic why one would spend hundreds or thousands on a cardboard box of certain nes snes or gameboy games, some people just want the original thing for personal reasons. Obviously reproductions are out there and not to mention that you could personalise the custom boxes to your exact liking wich are superior in looks compared to the original wich are also super durable instead of those very fragile original cardboard boxes.

Than again you could kinda say the same thing for carts wich is way less extreme than cardboard boxes wich are harder to explain to especially lose cart collectors but you could emulate them for free or just get a multicart to save allot of money on the carts and them extra plastic box protectors.

Collecting in a nut shell if you would like to have my opinion everything is not needed It's just a hobby for fun after all.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 03:59:21 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

pzeke

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2019, 08:01:57 am »
These cases are bittersweet for me; I was given an eBay gift card a few years ago, and spent it in a box of 100 of them. My idea was exactly what you did with yours, adding the custom art to make them look snazzy and cool when displayed. These cases are great since they keep the games safe from the elements, but, again, like I keep harping on about, space. They take too much space. I've been mulling the idea of buying cart protectors for my SNES and N64 games and forgo the cases all together.

The best...

Definitely the best.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

gf78

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2019, 09:14:56 am »
These cases are bittersweet for me; I was given an eBay gift card a few years ago, and spent it in a box of 100 of them. My idea was exactly what you did with yours, adding the custom art to make them look snazzy and cool when displayed. These cases are great since they keep the games safe from the elements, but, again, like I keep harping on about, space. They take too much space. I've been mulling the idea of buying cart protectors for my SNES and N64 games and forgo the cases all together.

The best...

Definitely the best.

At this point, my new collection (post-purge & refocusing on Nintendo) isn't that large & unwieldy. I also keep the games, systems I'm not using and swag stuff tucked away in two large closets. Until the kids (or at least the oldest) take off on their own, I have no hope of displaying my stuff. So it sits. Waiting patiently for the day they will be displayed in all their splendor. Lol.

pzeke

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2019, 10:01:48 am »
I can relate to that. Before I had everything organized in my room, it was a cluttered mess with boxes nearly reaching the ceiling; I had just enough room to move in and out, and use my computer and bed. It was ridiculous. Once I finally ended up getting shelves and selling doubles and most of the games I wasn't interested in, I managed to make the room look presentable. And it's a chore, let me tell ya. I love having my stuff displayed and looking cool, but I'll be damned if I have to move anything again...which I'm fretting actually since there's some electric-related work that has to be done and I will most definitely have to move all my shelves just for that. And I'm not looking forward to that.

Oh yeah, don't get me started on cleaning. ⌐_⌐

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!