Author Topic: Recommendations on lesser known sega genesis games  (Read 3551 times)

wartoy

PRO Supporter

Recommendations on lesser known sega genesis games
« on: January 22, 2019, 05:06:43 pm »
Hello im trying to give a little more love to my sega genesis collection.Their is a local store near me with a large amount of genesis games most of them I never even heard of.Anyone have any recommendations of harder to find or lesser known titles to look out for.

Re: Recommendations on lesser known sega genesis games
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 05:25:12 pm »
Alissa Dragoon is a lot of fun if you like action games

pzeke

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 05:35:58 pm »
The Genesis wasn't my thing growing up, so I pretty much "discovered" it fairly recently (figuratively speaking), so I don't have much to recommended. However, I played Wings or Wor, High Seas Havoc, and Burning Force and enjoyed them quite a lot.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 05:37:42 pm »
Elemental Master is a fantasy themed vertical shooter with cool graphics and awesome music.

Gauntlet IV gets overlooked a lot, but it has a great soundtrack that's exclusive to the Genesis by Hitoshi Sakimoto. He's the guy who went on to do tons of RPG soundtracks, like Final Fantasy Tactics, Valkyria Chronicles, and Dragon's Crown.

dreama1

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 05:54:58 pm »

mystical fighters.  It's a beat em up.

arcus odyssey, it's a little like gauntlet sort of but much improved. 

el viento , it's from the makers of the tales franchise. It has very unusal graphics.

Valis series.

Blue Almanac, it's a rpg like phantasy star.

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 07:40:29 pm »
Vapor Trail.

aliensstudios

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 09:18:11 pm »
I plugged in Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure, just to test it after I got it in a lot and couldn't put it down.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

stealthrush

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 09:25:56 pm »
Crack Down - action

DJ Boy - beat'em up

Marvel Land - platform

Atomic Runner (Chelnov) - Run'n gun

Dahna: Megami Tanjou - platform

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 10:05:48 pm »
The Flintstones: Essentially a 16-bit version of Surprise at Dinosaur Peak. Fun fact, this was the first video game I ever owned.

Dinosaurs for Hire: Fun Run and Gun game similar to contra. Hard as balls though.

Mic and Mac: Global Gladiators: Fun platformer with slime and McDonalds advertising

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 10:38:06 am »
World of Illusion - All I ever hear about is people talk about Castle of Illusion, but I found World of Illusion to be one of the finest examples of 2D platforming there is - Also it's Co-op! I honestly find Castle of Illusion very average in comparsion. It's not a long game by any means but every level is so colourful and rich in animation, it really is my favourite game of the era. It might not be lesser known but it always seems overshadowed by Castle' so I had to give it a shout out!

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2019, 06:14:46 pm »
Thank you all for your input I came away with about 10 suggestions I either never heard of or forgot about.Definitely going to have to research them.If anymore come to mind please feel free to post them it's much appreciated.

Flashback2012

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2019, 07:38:34 pm »
Flicky!

Dino Land, Dragon's Fury, and Dragon's Revenge if you like video pinball. DF is a port/remake of Devil's Crush from TG16.

Herzog Zwei is the proverbial granddaddy of RTS. The game inspired Westwood Studios to make that one game called Command & Conquer or something.

Super Hydlide

aliensstudios

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2019, 08:15:29 pm »
Flicky!

Dino Land, Dragon's Fury, and Dragon's Revenge if you like video pinball. DF is a port/remake of Devil's Crush from TG16.

Herzog Zwei is the proverbial granddaddy of RTS. The game inspired Westwood Studios to make that one game called Command & Conquer or something.

Super Hydlide
Dino Land is damn good.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

pzeke

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2019, 08:46:59 pm »
Check out Alien Soldier, too.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

dreama1

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2019, 10:12:48 pm »
Back again.

-jewel master

-two crude dudes

-Bloodshot. FPS game (yeah really) Even has a 2 player mode. Godly game makers to get that running on a 16 bit console.

-rampart

-dashin desperadoes

-Dyna brothers 2 (Import)

-Shadow blasters