Author Topic: Do you think common/non-sought-after titles are collectible?  (Read 2314 times)

Do you think common/non-sought-after titles are collectible?
« on: January 26, 2019, 06:49:10 pm »
adjective: collectible
(of an item) worth collecting; of interest to a collector.
"his books became increasingly collectible classics"

If you use the definition 'worth collecting' - I don't.

I don't think that things that are in abundance and not particularly desirable are worth collecting. Otherwise you just end up buying up whatever blu ray/book/video game you come into contact with.

The more common something is, in general, the less desirable or collectible it is - from the stand point of how interesting it is to have in the collection.

That's not to say that common titles aren't worth playing, that's something very different from worth collecting - but I can see how it could be argued that those two things (worth playing and worth collecting) are one in the same. I guess I mean you wouldn't put an average and common title in a glass display case as a centre piece to a collection or anything and wouldn't be excited to come across it, peaking your interest as a collector of that particular type of thing.

I place no value on common average to poor games. Obviously something can be very common and very desirable due to being good games such as Mario Bros 3 and Contra but I would say those are worth playing rather than worth collecting.

kypherion

Re: Do you think common/non-sought-after titles are collectible?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 07:03:43 pm »
By definition yes. The way I see collecting and a collection is the act of adding games to ones own library. It doesn't have to be things like CIB Hagane or "NOT FOR RESALE" discs or carts. It can be mainstream games like a Mario collection or Sonic or whatnot. And since that person buying an item generally shows interest then common items are collectible.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 08:13:13 pm »
For me any game that's fun is worth collecting as long as it's cheap unless the label or condition of said game is crap then I dont want it in my collection.I would never buy a copy of a valuable game like Little Samson with a ripped label for instance just to get it cheaper.But I'll have no problem buying a common invaluable game long as it's in good condition,fun and cheap.

gf78

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 09:51:18 pm »
I think if it's something you want, it's worth collecting. I dont think that being "common" or abundant copies being available makes a game less collectible. For example, there are over 30 million copies of Diablo III out there. It's a fantastic game and the Switch version is especially desirable to me since I can not only play it on the go, it has exclusive content. Does the fact that it is "common" make it undesirable?  How about Grand Theft Auto V with over 100 million copies out there?

Not to mention, Nintendo games in particular hold their value regardless of there being a bajillion copies out there.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 09:54:18 pm »
Of course. Just because something doesnt have high monetary value doesnt mean it still doesnt have value to the buyer.

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 10:46:39 pm »
Yes I do. Most of the games in my collection are worth under $10, and given how many of the more common games out there are also some of the best (ie. Sonic the Hedgehog, Super Mario 64, God of War), I think they are very collectible and sought after. Ironically many of your traditionally collectable games, essentially the more rare and expensive stuff, has from my experience been sub par to varying degrees compared to their more common, well known counterparts on the same system of the same genre.

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 02:07:35 am »
This

Of course. Just because something doesnt have high monetary value doesnt mean it still doesnt have value to the buyer.
and

me yes, and this is coming from a man who collects pretty much any video game I can get my hands on for a low price I don't plan on selling, I love various sports video games because even the old yearly releases done by EA Sports because the different years I've noticed all use different tactics in order to win games against the AI

Sports games even done by EA Sports each have something different about them year by year in the play department.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 02:33:02 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 02:56:08 am »
If you're using a rarity scale to collect videogames then you shouldn't be here. Videogames are not Pokemon cards. Like movies, they are what you like to play and what you think is cool, its everyone's individual taste as to what is a good or bad game and what they want to collect.  It's good to have knowledge of what games in your collection are rare and desirable for the interest of the collection and bragging rights among friends, but don't let that be your sole purpose to doing it.

Yes, I buy anything videogame related I see. I have a big collection of videogame T-shirts from combing the clothing racks of Goodwill. I have a brand new never worn collared Playstation t-shirt from when the console first launched.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 03:01:46 am by seberhusky »

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 02:57:21 am »
I love various sports video games because even the old yearly releases done by EA Sports because the different years I've noticed all use different tactics in order to win games against the AI

Sports games even done by EA Sports each have something different about them year by year in the play department.

I always loved Madden Football '92 on the Genesis because of the hilarious ambulance AI that would decimate everyone on the field.

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 04:20:22 pm »
EVERYTHING is collectible. Rocks are collectible. Potato chip wrappers are collectible. All that is needed is a person with a desire to own a collection of said objects. Example: back in my Yugioh days, I collected Neo the Magic Swordsman. He was a common card, in the starter deck even. But I liked the art on the card, and I was often the oldest player/judge in my local tournaments. I liked helping the kids set up their decks better- especially the younger kids playing with their older siblings hand-me-downs. So, I developed a habit of trading desirable cards for Neos- the kids usually had one, so it was a great way for them to get ahold of cards they normally wouldn't be able to get.

We commonly mix the idea of something being 'collectible' with being 'valuable', but the two have nothing to do with each other. Just like how rarity doesn't equate with value either. The best thing is just to get the stuff you want.

kashell

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 04:36:00 pm »
Like someone else said, if it's fun then it is worth collecting.

Interesting topic. I like reading all of the responses so far.

ferraroso

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2019, 09:18:55 pm »
Well, if even stones can be collected, why not common games?
The value of a collection can only be measured by the person who collects such things...

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2019, 10:56:15 pm »
If the game is good then what does it matter if it is common or not.

ferraroso

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2019, 11:32:09 pm »

Actually, I often have more fun collecting crappy games than good ones, so I don't think the quality is necessarily relevant for the collector
Bad games (as much as bad movies) require a special kind of appreciation. Haha.

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2019, 12:21:29 am »

Actually, I often have more fun collecting crappy games than good ones, so I don't think the quality is necessarily relevant for the collector
Bad games (as much as bad movies) require a special kind of appreciation. Haha.

I mean I bought Ride To Hell yesterday so I cosign that notion about buying crappy games