Author Topic: Do you think common/non-sought-after titles are collectible?  (Read 2315 times)

Re: Do you think common/non-sought-after titles are collectible?
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2019, 12:56:39 am »

Actually, I often have more fun collecting crappy games than good ones, so I don't think the quality is necessarily relevant for the collector
Bad games (as much as bad movies) require a special kind of appreciation. Haha.

I mean I bought Ride To Hell yesterday so I cosign that notion about buying crappy games

Yep, it's great to take one of those bad games and go all Mystery Science Theater 3000 on it with a group of buddies.

There's also something fun about actually taking the time to go out and beat some of those horrible games. I earned that completion of Barbie Puppy Rescue.

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2019, 01:11:13 am »

Actually, I often have more fun collecting crappy games than good ones, so I don't think the quality is necessarily relevant for the collector
Bad games (as much as bad movies) require a special kind of appreciation. Haha.

I mean I bought Ride To Hell yesterday so I cosign that notion about buying crappy games

Yep, it's great to take one of those bad games and go all Mystery Science Theater 3000 on it with a group of buddies.

There's also something fun about actually taking the time to go out and beat some of those horrible games. I earned that completion of Barbie Puppy Rescue.

I did a complete 100% playthough of Monster Garage for the Xbox in 2015 and recorded it. It's widely regarded as one of the most frustrating and terrible games on the original Xbox.  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvKMZp0zxJ_BaAroWR1o1Sjetszi5CH_-

ferraroso

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2019, 10:17:49 am »

Man, how much I love Ride to Hell! When I was still doing my PhD, I used to spend nights drinking whisky and playing it.
Together with Rogue Warrior, t is one of my favorite shitty games of the last generation!

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2019, 05:29:15 pm »
The problem with the argument the op presents is that what has "value" in collecting is 100% subjective. Value can range from "this game is super rare!" to "This game is somewhat crappy but I have nostalgic memories from my childhood"

Besides, seeking out only especially rare and valuable things isn't really what collectors do. That's moreso the confused investor stereotype of what collecting is

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2019, 01:05:32 pm »
If it interests the collector, it’s worth collecting.

Stamps, or rocks, or vintage glass have no appeal to me. Some are worth big bucks. I just do t think they’re worth collecting, to me.

There are a ton of horrible games on the NES. It was worth collecting for me because the library interests me.