Author Topic: RETRO MULTIPLAYER GAMES!  (Read 4821 times)

patrickmeansly

RETRO MULTIPLAYER GAMES!
« on: May 04, 2013, 12:07:37 pm »
Me and my friends still get together a few times a month, pop out the n64, snes and genesis, and still play games like Goldeneye, the Mortal Kombat series, and Duke Nukem 64!!  Just wondering, if anyone still has game nights and if so, what retro multiplayer games do you play?????

scott

Re: RETRO MULTIPLAYER GAMES!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 12:39:44 pm »
I don't get to co-op or multiplayer that often with my friends. We all have much different schedules and it seems really hard to do so. But a lot of the time, if we do get together for games, it's usually board games.

I think it's because most of use are all RPGers, and most of our games are all from that genre. I've looked through my collection for multiplayer games to introduce the GF to, and it's really few and far between. Unless its a Mario game.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 01:47:27 pm »
I have a gaming get together every few months, with friends. We tend to play a lot of GameCube games like Ultimate Muscle, 007 Agent under Fire and Godzilla destroy all monsters. We do play N64 and many other newer/older consoles. I would really love a copy of Poy Poy for the PS1. It is a super fun four player battle game.

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 03:02:42 pm »
Every weekend for me!!! Haha homies for life!! Lol i play the hell out of Wayne Gretzky 3d 64. It can be 2 vs 2. One of the best games of all time for co-op multiplayer , I think.. plus its cheap.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 03:05:42 pm by slothingXPIG »
PS4-zxzpigxzx
Ebay-https://VintageWarren

fiveforfightng

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 03:39:28 pm »
Yeah. Every month or so, my friends and I will play some Gamecube games, like Melee, Mario Party 7, or Double Dash. While there are modern games that are much better in detail, there is still plenty of fun in playing old-school games. If people make fun of you for playing old games, it just means they never got to enjoy them like we did.
Now Playing: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

patrickmeansly

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 04:42:18 pm »
Every weekend for me!!! Haha homies for life!! Lol i play the hell out of Wayne Gretzky 3d 64. It can be 2 vs 2. One of the best games of all time for co-op multiplayer , I think.. plus its cheap.

I havent played that one.  The only NHL game I played for 64 was NHL 98 and 99 and I played NHL 2k5 for ps2 and NHL 09 for ps2.  Would you say the Wayne Gretzky 3d is the best nhl game for the 64???? YOu make me want to try that one out

sin2beta

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 07:32:20 pm »
Streets of Rage.

Zombies Ate My Neighbors.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 09:37:44 pm »

Well honestly I have not played many NHL games Wayne Gretzky is the only one I had as a kid. I know I like it Cuz its simple easy to control and u can push and trip the hell outta your friends also you can fight them in it haha. I really enjoy it though.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 02:37:21 pm by slothingXPIG »
PS4-zxzpigxzx
Ebay-https://VintageWarren

vigorousjammer

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 10:36:38 pm »
Retro games are so perfect for Couch co-op or multiplayer stuff, but most of my friends are only into newer games, or pc games.

I really wish I could get three of my friends together for some 4-player Chu Chu Rocket.

I've also always thought about buying a copy of Saturn Bomberman, and a multi-tap, and seven more saturn controllers... but it seems like a hefty investment when nobody would even likely want to play it, lol.

I need some new friends. :P

scott

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 10:48:13 pm »
I've always wanted to get a four player game of Four Swords, Four Swords Adventure or FF Crystal Chronicles. But I have the same problem of not having enough interested folks.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

sin2beta

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 11:36:33 pm »
I was playing some Dreamcast after a frustrating day at work and remembered some great multiplayer games:

Powerstone
Ooga Booga
Chu Chu Rocket
Gauntlet Legends
Dynamite Cop
Zombie Revenge
Marvel Vs. Capcom 2
Phantasy Star Online (essentially a multiplayer dungeon crawler in offline mode with four players)

Man, I need to get my dreamcast online again. After the move and such, that might be the next big project for me. That or getting all of my retro machines hooked up via SCART RGB.

Not a Dreamcast game, but in my opinion the best multiplayer game of all time... starcraft. I used to play this with friends for months straight. We would go to school come home, and play starcraft the entire time home. The entire weekend etc. Parents would get upset that we would tie up the phone line. Beautiful 56k days...

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 02:15:35 pm »
I used to bust out Guardian Heroes during parties at my place, so much fun with the multi tap.  Now we all sit at home and yell at each other over voip because we've all moved away.

patrickmeansly

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 07:07:50 pm »
I was playing some Dreamcast after a frustrating day at work and remembered some great multiplayer games:

Powerstone
Ooga Booga
Chu Chu Rocket
Gauntlet Legends
Dynamite Cop
Zombie Revenge
Marvel Vs. Capcom 2
Phantasy Star Online (essentially a multiplayer dungeon crawler in offline mode with four players)

Man, I need to get my dreamcast online again. After the move and such, that might be the next big project for me. That or getting all of my retro machines hooked up via SCART RGB.

Not a Dreamcast game, but in my opinion the best multiplayer game of all time... starcraft. I used to play this with friends for months straight. We would go to school come home, and play starcraft the entire time home. The entire weekend etc. Parents would get upset that we would tie up the phone line. Beautiful 56k days...

lol.  you know i have never played any version of phantasy star.  is that a great game to play without the internet????

dstone

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 11:31:54 pm »
Every year around Christmas my extended family meets up at my grandmother's house and I set up some sort of multi-player game in the basement. We usually start with some PSO on the Gamecube then move on to some Super Smash Brothers Brawl or Melee. Then there's the crazyness of Mario Kart. My cousins bring over their laptops and I set up a LAN and go through several games of Age of Empires 2.

In between I usually just play with my sister or some of her friends online.

sin2beta

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 08:23:13 pm »

Powerstone
Ooga Booga
Chu Chu Rocket
Gauntlet Legends
Dynamite Cop
Zombie Revenge
Marvel Vs. Capcom 2

lol.  you know i have never played any version of phantasy star.  is that a great game to play without the internet????

I just saw this post, so excuse the lateness.

For the most part, Phantasy Star Online is not a great game without internet. But I do feel it is a competent dungeon crawler. I probably feel different about it because my old college roommates and I used to play Gauntlet Legends all the time. But at some point that gets old. There's only so much of it. Phantasy Star Online is a much bigger game. More time consuming. And has much much more emphasis on multiplayer. Would I recommend it for a random game night. Not unless you guys love but are tired of Gauntlet Legends and the such. For the Dreamcast it is a very affordable game. It can still be found sealed for a little over $10.

Now, if you have never played a game in the Phantasy Star series and are a fan of Final Fantasy. Play Phantasy Star 1-4!!!! More specifically, play the first Final Fantasy, then play the first Phantasy Star. Then be marveled that these two games were released 10 days apart. Phantasy Star was well ahead of its time and has aged wonderfully. It is still quite enjoyable. In fact, here is a review of someone who just recently played it: