Author Topic: Goodwill prices.  (Read 5160 times)

Goodwill prices.
« on: February 27, 2014, 05:24:16 pm »
I've been buying games at my local goodwill for a few years now; and their pricing had always been $1 for CD based games and $3 for DVD based games. Today I walk in and everything is $5. I asked the manager if it was a price mistake and they told me that the games had gone up and that's the price now. I had like 8 games in my hand ready to buy, but I just set them on the counter and walked out. I was a little irked by the price spike. Goodwill has been my main source of ps1/ps2 games for a little while and now I don't know what I'm going to do..... It's a sad day.

soera

Re: Goodwill prices.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 05:27:35 pm »
Each store sets their own prices. They have no real way to value all the stuff they get on a company wide basis. It will probably change back in a few days.

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 05:28:38 pm »
I really hope so, cause that just made my whole day shit.

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 06:03:53 pm »
I gave up on Goodwill about a year ago, mostly because they don't put out any decent games anymore, just sports and crappy budget titles. The reason why they don't put this stuff out is because they are throwing it on Ebay an shopgoodwill.com and charging market price or above for it. Yeah, each Goodwill is different, but at least all the ones in the Denver area have become ridiculously greedy. In fact, I have never seen a company go from good to greedy as Goodwill. Luckily there are many smaller and independent thrift stores for me to score games at now.

90snostalga

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 06:53:02 pm »
I've been buying games at my local goodwill for a few years now; and their pricing had always been $1 for CD based games and $3 for DVD based games. Today I walk in and everything is $5. I asked the manager if it was a price mistake and they told me that the games had gone up and that's the price now. I had like 8 games in my hand ready to buy, but I just set them on the counter and walked out. I was a little irked by the price spike. Goodwill has been my main source of ps1/ps2 games for a little while and now I don't know what I'm going to do..... It's a sad day.

Man if I could pay 5 dollars for my games at the Goodwill I would feel good.  90 percent of the time, out of all my local Goodwills, the games are priced at 4.99-15.99 and some even 19.99.  Very few times I will find them below 4.99.  Well, a good bit of the time they will be under 4.99 but its very inconsistent.  Sometimes, at the very same good will on the same day I have seen a n64 game at 2.99 and another n64 game sitting right next to it at 7.99.  But yea, under 5 bucks is very rare these days.  I notice employees at one of mine who collect games and he magically has all the good stuff complete in box in his collection.  Pretty sure he gets it from the back room, and puts out all the cartridge only games on the shelf.

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 07:15:15 pm »

Man if I could pay 5 dollars for my games at the Goodwill I would feel good.  90 percent of the time, out of all my local Goodwills, the games are priced at 4.99-15.99 and some even 19.99.  Very few times I will find them below 4.99.  Well, a good bit of the time they will be under 4.99 but its very inconsistent.  Sometimes, at the very same good will on the same day I have seen a n64 game at 2.99 and another n64 game sitting right next to it at 7.99.  But yea, under 5 bucks is very rare these days.  I notice employees at one of mine who collect games and he magically has all the good stuff complete in box in his collection.  Pretty sure he gets it from the back room, and puts out all the cartridge only games on the shelf.

that sucks. now just close your eyes and repeat this out loud. he works at good will.
feels good doesn't it

hexen

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 07:19:10 pm »
Pretty much every store is doing this. My goodwill used to charge like a dollar for any game, but now they are all blanket $4. Honestly, it's not so bad when they decide to put something out on the floor... but as has been said, they really love putting things on their auction site or the bid case these days. Half Price Books used to be my secret place to get games for cheap... but then they did a complete flip and now charge like 2x market price.
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 07:23:18 pm »
I dont have many choices around here. I guess I'll have to start hitting Second and Charles, at least there I know the games are just a little bit below FMV.

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 07:34:31 pm »
i just go to my local Pawn shop. sadly they dont have anything pre 6th gen
there is one that does but its a little more expensive and they never have anything but sports games

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 09:42:19 pm »
I dont have many choices around here. I guess I'll have to start hitting Second and Charles, at least there I know the games are just a little bit below FMV.

We have two of these in my area, and sadly they were both incredible places to hunt for games up until around December of last year. I found Monster Rancher on the PS1 for $5 and DBZ Budakai Tenkaichi 3 on the PS2 for $4 there just to name a few. However recently they got a ton of PS1 and PS2 JRPGs in and are charging double their average Ebay prices right now. I know the reason for this at least at one store is the buy back manager is a price gouging, greedy ass tool who flat out told me he prices these things high in order to take advantage of people who don't know what they are worth. I got on his case pretty bad about this, but insists he is not doing anything wrong *rolls eyes*

argyle

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 11:45:42 pm »

Yup, that's how it is around here - and most of the games they do have are more recent, 360/PS3 stuff (donations from Target I suspect).  Almost never see any older games.  And the pawn shops - ick.  They're downright scary.  Wall-to-wall guns, and that's just about it - if they DO have any games by some miracle they charge a fortune for them.  My best bet is to hit yard sales & hope I get lucky there.  Wish we had a decent video game store that sold older stuff, but the only game stores here are Gamestop.  I really miss Rhino.  :(
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

karyann

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 09:03:27 am »
I think the fact that video games collecting has become too popular is the problem once more. It makes too many people aware that some games sell for stupid high prices, so they want that money too. The Salvation Army near me has nothing else than PC games and burned PS1 games. And the burned games are $5, it's stupid.  :-\

It's become harder and harder to go video games hunting. I'm kinda happy that I don't have the opportunity to hunt as much as before, or else I would risk becoming bored by it.

bobster

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 09:15:42 am »
The goodwill by me isn't convenient convenient to get to so I hardly frequent it. I do visit a salvation army regularly, but I haven't found anything worth attempting to buy. I suspect my timing is wrong when I go.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 12:10:30 pm »
There are two thrift stores by me, a goodwill and an ARC thrift shop and the ARC is better on prices but don't get as good of stuff. I bought my Secret of Mana for $25 from Goodwill, a little high for a thrift store but cheaper none the less. Unfortunately, Goodwill's prices are ridiculous here right now, it seems like they used to look up prices on ebay and then charge like 5 to 10 dollars cheaper, but now it's like they go on ebay and look for the highest price, case and point, they have Gears of War complete for $30... That's insane

soera

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 03:23:20 pm »
Thrift stores are just resellers with a bigger market. They are now researching almost everything that comes into the building. I remember last year I was looking at one and noticed in the toy section was two board games. Mario Bros and the fairly rare Zelda game. I noticed $50 on the Zelda game and was like WTF? I knew it sold for more on Ebay but played innocent and went to the counter and asked if it was supposed to be $5 and not $50. The manager is summoned to the counter and he says "Why dont we Google this item?" So of course he pulls out his stupid cell phone and looks at Ebay and shows me that people are asking $150-200 on there. I snap back at him saying its a thrift store and that the item was given to them and that they really shouldnt be gouging their customers for items and that most people that shop at thrift stores do so cause they dont have any other options. Of course he didnt give a damn. Bad thing is I bought it anyhow. I knew the chances of me ever finding the game again in the wild was pretty much a fat 0 and it was totally complete and in pretty good condition. Got the Mario Bros game for another $15.