Author Topic: Sigh ...  (Read 1462 times)

soera

Sigh ...
« on: July 31, 2014, 01:07:24 pm »
Finally a DQ announcement and its for DQ IV on the mobile app. Like we need yet another portable way to play a game we already have at least 2 options to play. Where the hell is the love for the games this side of the world has no reliable option to play? DQ X, hello? Im ready to toss money at my monitor every month.

Re: Sigh ...
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 03:36:16 pm »
Finally a DQ announcement and its for DQ IV on the mobile app. Like we need yet another portable way to play a game we already have at least 2 options to play. Where the hell is the love for the games this side of the world has no reliable option to play? DQ X, hello? Im ready to toss money at my monitor every month.

Sounds like Mega Man fans too lol "Oh, we are getting a new game with some new bosses? Oh it's mobile...What? A brand new port of Mega Man X? Oh it's mobile..."

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 03:43:41 pm »
Why another portable version? If they were gonna re-release it, why not give us a full console version or at least a downloadable version on console?

argyle

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 03:44:49 pm »
And didn't DQ8 just come out for mobile too?  I hate mobile games, I have no interest in killing the battery on my phone by playing games on it. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 03:51:40 pm »
This, the Mario games, and upcoming open-world Zelda are why I want a Wii U.

scott

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 03:53:52 pm »
And didn't DQ8 just come out for mobile too?  I hate mobile games, I have no interest in killing the battery on my phone by playing games on it.

This is why I have an ipod for my music. The amount of music I listen to, I'd be recharging my phone every 30 mins. A lot of folks don't understand it, or my need for actual cds instead of digital only.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

abe

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 03:56:55 pm »
Square Enix is too busy doing things that they think will make them more money to be bothered giving us what we want.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

argyle

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 04:09:09 pm »
Square Enix is too busy doing things that they think will make them more money to be bothered giving us what we want.

...which would make them more money.  ;)

It's like...it's like....hrmm.  It's like rain on your wedding day?  :P
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 05:32:51 pm »

Sounds like Mega Man fans too lol "Oh, we are getting a new game with some new bosses? Oh it's mobile...What? A brand new port of Mega Man X? Oh it's mobile..."

The difference is that DQ fans still get the games released even if it's just not in their region, Mega man fans just get their games cancelled.

maximo310

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 06:35:48 pm »
I've heard not a lot of good things of the ios/android port of dq8. For starters, the frame rate is between 18-24fps, rather than a solid 60, and it doesn't
 have the extra voice acting and symphonic suite that was included in the original ps2 north american release, and the control system and interface doesn't work very well. They are pricing it for $20, which is the same price as getting a brand new cib ps2 version of the game, so no thanks, I'm passing that out. SE Mobile has also been giving lackluster ios/andrioid ports to ffiv-ffvi as well with minor touch up stuff, but I'm not confident in their ability to make a good port for a mobile device, and which they would put a complication on a handheld console.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 03:32:35 pm by maximo310 »

argyle

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 10:02:01 pm »

The difference is that DQ fans still get the games released even if it's just not in their region, Mega man fans just get their games cancelled.

But for most people if an RPG isn't localized it may as well not exist.   :-\

abe

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 10:13:42 pm »

There's always fan translations or guides for playing through games that haven't been localized. Even that's still better than not existing.

maximo310

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2014, 12:55:26 am »

There's always fan translations or guides for playing through games that haven't been localized. Even that's still better than not existing.
For some people, it's a matter of convenience and information that can influence the decision to buy RPG's. They may not know where to look on the Internet  for the particular game they have in mind, there can be a good increase in cost to import the game if they desire a physical copy, and in some games, there can be additional challenges to overcome. For example, to play DQ10 on the Wii with full online capability, you need an sd card, mods on the system, registration on a japanese square enix site, and a server to get the whole experience. Otherwise, you are stuck to two offline quests which once complete and maxed out, can not do anything for you. It's just easier for people to go to a store or download it on their own system in their country without dealing with additional problems that come from importing.

abe

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2014, 05:03:51 am »

For some people, it's a matter of convenience and information that can influence the decision to buy RPG's. They may not know where to look on the Internet  for the particular game they have in mind, there can be a good increase in cost to import the game if they desire a physical copy, and in some games, there can be additional challenges to overcome. For example, to play DQ10 on the Wii with full online capability, you need an sd card, mods on the system, registration on a japanese square enix site, and a server to get the whole experience. Otherwise, you are stuck to two offline quests which once complete and maxed out, can not do anything for you. It's just easier for people to go to a store or download it on their own system in their country without dealing with additional problems that come from importing.

Not every RPG that doesn't get localized is an MMO. Importing isn't for casual fans anyways. You're missing the point completely. Of course it's easier to play something and better if it's localized to your region, but it's still better than nothing if it at least sees a release in one region. :-\ Plenty of RPGs and other Japanese games have been given fan translations over the years. To name a few, Mother 3 has had fan translations in several languages over the years, Valkyria Chronicles 3 recently got a fan translation, the original PSP version of Danganronpa even had a fan translation too before the Vita version came out over here.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 05:08:17 am by abe »

maximo310

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2014, 03:42:10 pm »

Not every RPG that doesn't get localized is an MMO. Importing isn't for casual fans anyways. You're missing the point completely. Of course it's easier to play something and better if it's localized to your region, but it's still better than nothing if it at least sees a release in one region. :-\ Plenty of RPGs and other Japanese games have been given fan translations over the years. To name a few, Mother 3 has had fan translations in several languages over the years, Valkyria Chronicles 3 recently got a fan translation, the original PSP version of Danganronpa even had a fan translation too before the Vita version came out over here.
Well, that it certainly true, I was only talking about it for a average person who would only buy a game if it is localized for their country. There are a lot of people out there who take the time to look for translations for those games, and that helps you get through the game so you can enjoy it.