Author Topic: Can we get a real-time price calculation of our collections?  (Read 5750 times)

Can we get a real-time price calculation of our collections?
« on: September 08, 2014, 12:05:19 am »
Using the Price Charting data, it doesn't seem like it would be all that difficult to implement. I wholeheartedly apologize if this feature is already available but I couldn't find it.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: Can we get a real-time price calculation of our collections?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 11:20:30 am »
Using the Price Charting data, it doesn't seem like it would be all that difficult to implement. I wholeheartedly apologize if this feature is already available but I couldn't find it.

My guess would be; doubtful.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

abe

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 02:06:15 pm »
I feel like somebody asks this question pretty often. Wasn't there already a thread about this a month or two ago?
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 02:17:48 pm »
I feel like somebody asks this question pretty often. Wasn't there already a thread about this a month or two ago?

It does sound familiar...

karyann

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 02:33:23 pm »

This question is probably asked at least once per month, but imo it's impossible to do accurately. Pricecharting doesn't have entries for all existing video games, and they do not separate entries between normal/collector's/greatest hits, which all impact a game's value.

In my opinion, if the estimation isn't accurate enough, it's not really worth it.  :-\

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 11:00:23 am »

This question is probably asked at least once per month, but imo it's impossible to do accurately. Pricecharting doesn't have entries for all existing video games, and they do not separate entries between normal/collector's/greatest hits, which all impact a game's value.

In my opinion, if the estimation isn't accurate enough, it's not really worth it.  :-\

c'est vrais!

abe

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 02:01:23 pm »

c'est vrais!

Oui Monsieur!
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 02:05:14 pm »

c'est vrais!

Oui Monsieur!

Fermez la bouche, mon ami  :P

davifus

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 04:05:24 pm »

c'est vrais!

Oui Monsieur!

Fermez la bouche, mon ami  :P

Et noli esse cum Francis
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 11:59:28 am »
Ik versta niks van dat frans.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 02:13:30 pm »
I believe this is the most popular request we get on this site. It gets brought up all the time. Yet the same regulars again and again keep saying it's not worth it and there's no interest in it.

...history says differently. Obviously there is a LOT of interest in implementing this to the site. But it keeps getting struck down by the vocal minority. Are there at least ways to link to other sites that already do this?

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 02:32:39 pm »
And who's priceing would VG follow? America, The Netherlands, France, Japan, Australia, Poland?

Different country's have different games they like or dislike. So 1 game can be worth a fortune in America, but worthless in France.

davifus

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 02:36:07 pm »
Just do it manually

"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 03:11:03 pm »
Just do it manually

If you volunteer.

I did something similar on another site where i was a mod. But its impossible to do this by hand. And if for some reason you pull it off, you get the comments from other users that its to high, or to low.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2014, 04:04:35 pm »
I believe this is the most popular request we get on this site. It gets brought up all the time. Yet the same regulars again and again keep saying it's not worth it and there's no interest in it.

...history says differently. Obviously there is a LOT of interest in implementing this to the site. But it keeps getting struck down by the vocal minority. Are there at least ways to link to other sites that already do this?

I think that you're 'reading' what these "regulars / vocal minority" (at least *this* regular) is saying the wrong way -

I don't think that it's stupid *OR* that just because I don't care about it = that no one does; more like - because of all of the variables involved + the constantly changing prices + the differing prices for the same game in different areas, etc that IMO, it's just a pointless waste of time to keep asking for (and complaining about the lack of) something that can/will never be able to be implemented in a way that will be accurate for all users in all areas (read: make everybody happy).