Author Topic: Anyone up for a new NES game?  (Read 1637 times)

Anyone up for a new NES game?
« on: September 20, 2014, 06:46:50 pm »
There is a kickstarter up for a team working on a new NES game called Mystic Searches. It's an interesting concept; two games in one. 8-bit game playable on the NES and then a modern game on the same cartridge that interfaces with your PC via USB. The stuff you unlock in one, unlocks in the other.. Kinda cool.. They got my money!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1316851183/the-new-8-bit-heroes-new-nes-game-and-creation-doc

abe

Re: Anyone up for a new NES game?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 06:58:01 pm »
This is pretty interesting, I don't think I've ever heard of anything quite like it. What matters in the end is if the game itself is any good though. I look forward to hearing more about this. :)
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

davifus

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 07:14:43 pm »
I'll keep this at watch and wait and see. Interesting...
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

Bwigdahl

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 07:53:09 pm »
This looks really interesting... Awesome story too. I've been waiting for a reason to go out and get an NES and this may be it. Who knew that they'd release a "console seller" 30 years after the console released :P

maximo310

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 08:58:15 pm »
Hmm, maybe I'll help this game out, since that seems pretty interesting for him to try to accomplish two experiences in the same cartridge. I'm looking forward to how the kickstarter goes for him.

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 09:01:32 pm »
Seems like a pretty impressive concept.  A shame I don't have the money to buy the physical version.

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 09:56:28 pm »
Hmm, maybe I'll help this game out, since that seems pretty interesting for him to try to accomplish two experiences in the same cartridge. I'm looking forward to how the kickstarter goes for him.

Its only been up for a few days; 27 days left and they are just over 56%. Unless they stall out big time I would say this has a damn good chance of making it.

byron

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 02:35:25 pm »
I would pay fifty bucks for a new NES game, but I don't think that's what I'm being sold here. Joe Granato has put himself firmly in the spotlight of this production, well in front of the game itself. That gives me doubts.

The Kickstarter video told me all about Joe and his team of creative geniuses. They talked a lot about heartwarming nostalgia and their beautiful creative process, but they hardly said a word about the game itself. I don't care about Joe or the life-affirming realization of his childhood fantasies; I care whether or not the game is any good, but I wasn't shown more than three seconds of game play, much less anything to convince me that the game is of any substantial quality.

I would urge anyone considering giving this project money to also consider the possibility that the game sucks.

bobster

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 01:34:18 pm »
I agree with Byron on this kickstarter. It certainly looks interesting, but I don't think any of these people have been proven to actually make a game. Couple that with the fact that they're looking to essentially make 2 games, a documentary, and a guide for making your own games, all in the span of one year, and this seems kind of unreasonable.

I'll have kickstarter remind me about it before it ends just in case some of the updates can convince me more.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 11:09:07 am »
Gonna have to keep this in mind.  I usually back Kickstarters through my dev team, so I need to coordinate that first.

argyle

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 11:29:40 am »
The Kickstarter craze is over for me.  WAAAAY too many stories in the past year or so of people basically going "Well, it's not gonna happen, but thanks for your money!"  If the game gets released, I'll consider buying it.  :)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 09:01:54 am »
The Kickstarter craze is over for me.  WAAAAY too many stories in the past year or so of people basically going "Well, it's not gonna happen, but thanks for your money!"  If the game gets released, I'll consider buying it.  :)

You can't go by just stories and assume everyone is like that.  You're letting a few bad apples ruin everything.  I've backed several Kickstarters and only the titles still in development have not finished.  All the others have finished and worked out.  Besides which, the point isn't about "only backing the sure things," but to back what you personally like or believe in.  There's always going to be an element of risk, but at the end of the day, we've all wasted more money on more frivolous things.

I have literally not had a Kickstarter not conclude, and I have wasted no money.  I did back a couple that didn't meet their goals, but then my money goes nowhere.