Author Topic: Atari Jaguar  (Read 3877 times)

silversyx

Atari Jaguar
« on: March 01, 2015, 05:33:30 pm »
So I've been wanting an Atari Jaguar super badly. I don't know why and the one game I want for it (Rayman), I can get cheaper on the Saturn or PSone. What is the price range I should expect for buying the console and the games? Is it worth it?

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Atari Jaguar
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 06:17:07 pm »
I hear that it still has a very active homebrew community.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 07:30:51 pm »
You may want to read this thread:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/230410-how-did-the-jaguar-possibly-sell-so-poorly/

I always wanted one so badly. But two decades later I feel like I dodged a bullet. :)

abe

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 07:49:04 pm »
From what I've read, it's got some pretty good ports of PC games, with its port of Wolfenstein 3D being one of the most notable. As Burningdoom mentioned, it does still have a pretty good homebrew community too. Other than that, I don't know too much about them. I've never played one nor have I seen one in person.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 08:01:39 pm »
The used prices have gotten crazy. It's actually easier to collect for TG-16 which is hilarious considering even just 5 years ago you couldn't give one away.

The consoles are fetching $200 on ebay.

The crappy carts fetch $50.

The CD (best and easiest way to play homebrew) are very hard to find and can fetch $100-$300 themselves.

It's actually easier (and cheaper) to collect for the TG-16 or 3DO.

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 08:23:20 pm »
From what I've read, it's got some pretty good ports of PC games, with its port of Wolfenstein 3D being one of the most notable. As Burningdoom mentioned, it does still have a pretty good homebrew community too. Other than that, I don't know too much about them. I've never played one nor have I seen one in person.

I've heard that there's an Alien vs. Predator game on there that's pretty good.

I don't know anything about the Jaguar, really, except for what I've watched on YouTube. But I thought that it was supposed to be hard to find a working one? Or maybe that was just a CD attachment or something.

In any case, let us know what you end up doing!  :D

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 09:12:58 pm »
i have always wanted one of these and i have no idea why. i heard its a poor system

silversyx

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 09:54:02 pm »
There's a system with all the hookups (with RF) for $150, the game Rayman (loose) for $70 both on Lukiegames.com, and I'd like to find a composite cable which seems to go for about $25. I just don't know if I want to take the plunge... I would love to have all of that but I wish I could get it all for a bit less than that...

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 03:42:42 am »
There's a system with all the hookups (with RF) for $150, the game Rayman (loose) for $70 both on Lukiegames.com, and I'd like to find a composite cable which seems to go for about $25. I just don't know if I want to take the plunge... I would love to have all of that but I wish I could get it all for a bit less than that...

That's as cheap as your going to find it.

It's the CD rom drive that's notorious for breaking down. But honestly that short coming exists for all disc based systems.

theflea

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 06:32:39 am »
I own a Jaguar and JagCD and it's not the worst system in the world.
Games worth playing (that i've played) are...

Alien vs. Predator
Tempest 2000
Rayman (kinda pricy on Jag)
Zool 2
Defender 2000
Missile Command 3D
Raiden
Wolfenstien
Doom

Some of these are not the best ports, but decent and playable.
As for the JagCD, only if your a die-hard collector, no games on this thing is worth the cost of owning it.
Plus more then half of the CD systems have issues working.
Jaguars are one of those consoles if you can find a deal on one with a bunch of decent games, pick it up. But I wouldn't rush out and pay over $200 just for the console alone.
"Happy game hunting!!!"

gf78

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 12:52:01 pm »

That's awfully high IMO, especially for an item I can't see in person first.  If I saw the system in person, it was in fantastic condition with the box, manuals cables, controller, etc...I might drop $150 on it.  Might.  And that would be partially based on an impulse buy.  Sight unseen with no idea of the condition or if any original materials are with it (more than likely not)?  No way.  $70 for Rayman is absolutely ridiculous, especially a loose copy that's probably beat all to hell.

I've seen Jaguar's come through the local mom & pop shop occasionally and I think the most they asked for the system with a game was about $75. 

If you are seriously wanting one, I would suggest advertising on your local Facebook Buy/Sell/Trade pages (they have them for just about everywhere).  Even if one is not listed on their, you can make a "listing" that you are looking for one.  You would be surprised at crap people have in their closets collecting dust that they would be more than happy to sell you for $20 or sometimes, even give it away to you. 

If you are wanting it to sample the handful of decent games on the system, you can do better elsewhere.  The best game was Alien vs. Predator, and an enhanced version of that was released for the PC.  Rayman can be had for PC, PlayStation, Saturn, etc. for about $20 for a complete, great condition copy of at least a Greatest Hits version. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

silversyx

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 04:15:09 pm »

That's awfully high IMO, especially for an item I can't see in person first.  If I saw the system in person, it was in fantastic condition with the box, manuals cables, controller, etc...I might drop $150 on it.  Might.  And that would be partially based on an impulse buy.  Sight unseen with no idea of the condition or if any original materials are with it (more than likely not)?  No way.  $70 for Rayman is absolutely ridiculous, especially a loose copy that's probably beat all to hell.

I've seen Jaguar's come through the local mom & pop shop occasionally and I think the most they asked for the system with a game was about $75. 

If you are seriously wanting one, I would suggest advertising on your local Facebook Buy/Sell/Trade pages (they have them for just about everywhere).  Even if one is not listed on their, you can make a "listing" that you are looking for one.  You would be surprised at crap people have in their closets collecting dust that they would be more than happy to sell you for $20 or sometimes, even give it away to you. 

If you are wanting it to sample the handful of decent games on the system, you can do better elsewhere.  The best game was Alien vs. Predator, and an enhanced version of that was released for the PC.  Rayman can be had for PC, PlayStation, Saturn, etc. for about $20 for a complete, great condition copy of at least a Greatest Hits version.

Those a great points and great advice. I'd look around and see if I can find a deal. Thank you!

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 06:55:25 pm »
Inserting and removing the cartridges is another thing to be very careful of if you buy one of these. It has a top load design that doesn't keep the cartridge very snug. When I play this, I now have to tilt the cartridge forward a bit and put a place holder behind it or the screen freezes up. It seams like this is the only way the pins make contact.

Aliens vs. Predator is probably the best game on the system as others have said. Three story lines, the marine being the most difficult of the three. You're gonna need to make a lot of maps or use a guide for this one. It's very dated by todays standards. Kill an enemy and the body stays in the same direction no matter which way you face (Doom, Wolfenstein style).

IMO the only other must haves are Tempest, Rayman, Raiden, Doom and Wolfenstein. I liked the ports of Rayman, Raiden and Doom better on the Playstation though.

silversyx

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 06:59:09 pm »
I'm finding a ton of As-is consoles on eBay for prices I would pay for the actual console. I heard that if they don't power on its because it doesn't detect a game, not because it doesn't work right?

abe

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 08:18:28 pm »
I'm finding a ton of As-is consoles on eBay for prices I would pay for the actual console. I heard that if they don't power on its because it doesn't detect a game, not because it doesn't work right?

It's true that it won't power on without a game in (or if one isn't detected), but if one doesn't turn on with a game in that doesn't mean that it might not actually just be broken either.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)